No announcement yet.

AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As UVD provides full bitstream acceleration you should never see high CPU load.

@Qaridarium
    The open source approach will probably not use the video decoding hardware, but shaders, and this won't be as efficient as bitstream-level acceleration -- not all decoding steps can be offloaded to hardware this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      But the HD3XXX Generation has UVD and as an big fan of ATI i'm feeling betrayed
      I was in the same boat with my old Geforce 8800GTS G80 not supporting VDPAU.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
        From what I know there were major internal architectural changes between UVD -> UVD2, which made it a lot easier to port (code wise, and hardware wise)

Comment

And HD3xxx???????

But the HD3XXX Generation has UVD and as an big fan of ATI i'm feeling betrayed
          Yeah. Me, as a owner of a HD3650, I feel betrayed/dumped. Are UVD1 or UVD+ so different from the UVD2 that a unified or parallel driver is too much effort to implement?

R63x is not that old!!! They're very similar to R700... why in the world are they loosing feature support?
          So disappointed

If they hope me upgrading to R4xxx or 5xxx, well, this time I'm giving my money to nVidia. Sorry
          Netrunner Linux - Rolling Release ; Nexus 5 ROM Chroma 5.1 ; NAS 6TB on FreeNAS

Comment

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
            Yeah. Me, as a owner of a HD3650, I feel betrayed/dumped. Are UVD1 or UVD+ so different from the UVD2 that a unified or parallel driver is too much effort to implement?

R63x is not that old!!! They're very similar to R700... why in the world are they loosing feature support?
            So disappointed

If they hope me upgrading to R4xxx or 5xxx, well, this time I'm giving my money to nVidia. Sorry
            Actually.....the 7xx was very very different compared to the 6xx asics.

The major difference between uvd, and uvd2 is the mpeg decode part.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
              Yeah but depending on the revison of your 8800GTS (G80) there has never been any hardware HD video decoding on this Nvidia Chip.

Thats the diffrence to the bullshxx Ati does with the release of a very limited decoding api, because there are many of Ati cards who are capable to do most h.264 vc1 decoding in hardware but are currently unsupported under Linux, while nvidia supports all purevideo2 and up devices under Linux

Gre

Comment

Originally posted by avsa242 View Post
                I'd love to but I have no BluRay clips or discs here. Any (legal ) links? I'm searching as we speak, but if you know of any I'd love to give it a shot.

Cheers,
                Jesse
                http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/530/mirrors.php
                The first legal I found
                There is some problem with "'Legal"
                I can't legally share with you my legal disc
                I'm not even sure that the copy of my BD on my HDD (44GB) is legal

Forget the link, it's not "heavy" enough
                Last edited by n0nsense; 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                  only UVD2 has hardware HDCP Copyprotektion.. if they give some infos abaut uvd1 some people can hack the DRM Copyprotektion and the hd2000 VGA carts lost there Blueray hdready logo/funktionality..
                  Hey dont give us the infos for UVD2 the Blob work with UVD2 but it has no reasson why not on UVD

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                  the opensource driver will have viedeo acceleration for older cards!

realy ;-)
                  When? what you mean with "older" cards? r300 up to r500?
                  Last edited by Nille; 11-03-2009, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Hey dont give us the infos for UVD2 the Blob work with UVD2 but it has no reasson why not on UVD

When? what you with "older" cards? r300 up to r500?

Maybe the radeon driver can utilize openCL for that task when its finally ported to gallium, but annyway that wouldnt be as fast as UVD and of course iam just guesing if this is really possible.

But ok at least ATI released the specs for an oss driver which is more worth then some hd decoding which is something a modern cpu can do too.

Comment

I believe the current plan is to add video decode calls to Gallium3D itself, allowing the driver to either use dedicated decode hardware or shaders as appropriate.

Not sure, but I *think* this work has already started.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                        Yes, I actually updated the technical details on that page a couple of times, although my updates were reverted because they didn't match gossip on other forums. Yay.

As always, can't comment on unreleased features.
                        -Laugh-

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                          VAAPI isn't necessarily a bad choice here - in fact it means we now have 1 api that covers all major hardware since there is also a VDPAU backend for it.
                          Last thing I've read, va api only support vdpau partly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                            So how well does this work together with compiz/kwin desktop-effects?
                            And what about tearing, with and without compositing?
                            It does, though only tested in Ubuntu. Concerning the tearing, since that version only has OpenGL, you have to enable always vsync in e.g. amdcccle. There is another means to get tear-free rendering without OpenGL but this is not available in public builds.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                              Last thing I've read, va api only support vdpau partly.
                              You will have to be more specific than that. You don't provide any information here...

Comment

@tmpdir

That's correct. Lets say that vdpau-video is the best backend for vaapi but there are still some drawbacks:

a) you can press D to deinterlace with -vo vdpau but not with -vo vaapi
                                b) h264 l5.1 usually fails

xvba-video has got some extra drawbacks:

a) No OSD/subtitle support at all.
                                b) mpeg2 is not fully supported, which is really bad as you still have to use only for that content type direct gl outout - on nvidia you can use vaapi for at least 3 content types, in theory with the dx10.1 cards even 4.

Code:
                                $ vainfo
                                libva: libva version 0.31.0-sds3
                                libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                                libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
                                libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
                                vainfo: VA API version: 0.31
                                vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA API - 0.5.1
                                vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
                                      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointIDCT
                                      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointIDCT
                                      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
                                      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
                                I would suggest to implement VLD for MPEG2 in software and use whatever ATI provides as hw part. A similar thing NV did for VC1 and older chips.

c) Bad clips can even crash the system - something i absolutely like
                                d) Some h264 content has got the wrong colors.
                                Last edited by Kano; 11-03-2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X