AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Basically vaapi is only "working" when you want so when you use mplayer, vlc works from time to time too, currently it is broken with xvba, but mostly working with nvidia. Wrappers seem to be always problematic, the many issues i had with vdpau-video too. I can no say something about psb, that would have got native vaapi (g45 too, but currently only mpeg2, thats boring).
    It's only problematic when the user can't seem to be able to install the right package or he always mixes up his installation on some weird distribution... Otherwise, it's working the same. In the XvBA case, it's even the only way to get useful things since by default this API (and implementation) is not that helpful, to remain "positive"...

Comment

• "always", well i had one old lib once in my home, currently i remove the dist dir and everything is installed from scratch. It definitely does not work with vlc current only mplayer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron View Post
        Hello all,

I am really excited about all of this. While I fully appreciate bridgman's comments that AMD/ATi didn't promise much, I bought my 780G over a year ago and expected the UVD on it to work in the near future. I also mistakenly believed that all information about the cards had been publically released (including the UVD parts) and that Free drivers would be able to support this feature. Needless to say I was a bit disappointed when I found out the truth, especially as an nVidia alternative would have allowed VDPAU from the time that I bought it. I'm happy to see AMD/ATi using VA-API for its acceleration instead of creating yet another API.

Since AMD/ATi "opened up", I have been an avid supporter and bought only AMD/ATi cards. In New Zealand, however, our digital TV uses HD H.264 and practically needs acceleration to play properly. I have been stuck on analogue for my MythTV HTPC and have been trying to buy a cheap nVidia 8600GT to put in my 780G for VDPAU. I'm now hopeful that these recent changes may stop this being necessary. I was reading this:
        http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.23
        I believe that 0.23 will include VA-API:
        http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/t...64.c?rev=23525
        http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/t...pi.c?rev=23525

On that note, I would really appreciate it if somebody who has the UVD/VA-API setup working could test that the samples on the following page are being properly accelerated:
        http://www.geekzone.co.nz/Fossie/4877

Thank you to everybody who is working on this.

Bridgman: I follow your posts avidly. They are very informative and helpful. I understand that AMD has not yet decided whether or not it will release the UVD specs to those developing Free drivers. This is really important to me if I wanted to be stuck with non-free drivers, I would be using nVidia. The best result would be if the Free drivers could utilise the UVD hardware. If this isn't possible with the current architecture for DRM reasons, please put pressure on AMD/ATi to resolve this in future UVD versions so that these two things can be separated. I realise this thread is about the proprietary AMD/ATi drivers, but I want to flag that I only consider the non-Free drivers a stop-gap until the Free drivers accelerate video enough (whether through UVD, Gallium3D shaders etc.) to allow my CPU to decode 1080i in real time.

Regards,

Aaron
        Aaron, I was unsuccessful in playing the freeview HD sample from here:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/downloads/...eeview_HD_.zip

This is with mplayer-va-api-20100212, ubuntu 9.04, and HD 2600

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineGrace View Post
          Aaron, I was unsuccessful in playing the freeview HD sample from here:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/downloads/...eeview_HD_.zip

This is with mplayer-va-api-20100212, ubuntu 9.04, and HD 2600
          Thank you,

I could not get that particular file to play properly for me without any acceleration, so I wonder if there is something wrong with the file. Did the other samples play accelerated?

Regards,

Aaron

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron View Post
            Thank you,

I could not get that particular file to play properly for me without any acceleration, so I wonder if there is something wrong with the file. Did the other samples play accelerated?

Regards,

Aaron
            Negative, Aaron, they did not play as well with my same hardware/software config. Sorry, mate : (

Comment

• XVBA in Ubuntu 10.04?

I was wondering if XVBA worked in Ubuntu 10.04 with the catalyst 10.4 preview driver?

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                I was wondering if XVBA worked in Ubuntu 10.04 with the catalyst 10.4 preview driver?
                I could not get xvba to work with Gwenole's packages, Ubuntu 10.04 beta 1 and an HD 2600. I'll test my other cards and report back.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineGrace View Post
                  I could not get xvba to work with Gwenole's packages, Ubuntu 10.04 beta 1 and an HD 2600. I'll test my other cards and report back.
                  I tried it out, and I couldn't get it working. I was using Ubuntu 10.04 Beta 2 and a Radeon HD 4650, with the Catalyst 10.4 preview drivers, of course.

Comment

• Interestingly enough Catalyst doesn't seem to work with the integrated Radeon HD 2100 in another computer on Ubuntu 10.04 Beta 2.

Comment

• The HD2100 uses an r4xx graphics core, which is not supported in the recent Catalyst drivers. Support starts with the R6xx graphics core, ie HD2400.

Comment

• Thanks for the help. The news sucks though... The performance isn't really great to begin with, let alone with the open source drivers.

Comment

• Once the Gallium3D driver and LLVM-compiled SW TCL starts working on your hardware you might be pleasantly surprised.

One of the biggest differences between the Catalyst driver and open source drivers on your chip was the software TCL code (aka running vertex shaders on the CPU). That code was pretty slow on classic mesa but apparently the LLVM compiler generates very efficient code, so hopefully you should see open source performance that is closer to Catalyst than what you have seen previously.

Don't think SW TCL is working yet on the Gallium3D driver but keep your eyes open for it.

Comment

• It sounds like it will become a gaming solution The most easy way would be: install Kanotix, downgrade kernel to .28 (thats possible) and install fglrx - or just buy a NV card

Comment

• Meh, I don't believe in Nvidia I am thinking I am going to buy a Radeon HD 5450.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                                Meh, I don't believe in Nvidia I am thinking I am going to buy a Radeon HD 5450.
                                XvBA does not support Radeon HD 5xxx. And last time I asked, it was not planned to be fixed. So, if some developer has some spare time and is really willing to dig into this code, this could be interesting for users. Thanks. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X