AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Kano

I'll spell it out for you: IT DOES NOT WORK WITH 0.5.1!

Check the quoted output. Yes, really, just read it and it will all be clear.

That we might need older mplayer snapshots is constructive. What's missing there is which ones would work in combination with it. The last versions are alpha at best I'd say, so the previous ones are probably worse. For all I know we'd need an older version of libva too. Three packages, all with several different versions. That's a lot of combinations to try out...

Comment

• Basically it is useless to try all those things. If you want something working now you just buy something from another vendor

Comment

• I have HD4850 card here

Code:
        non7top@m ~/soft/vaapi/hwdecode-demos-0.7.5/src $ ./vaapi_h264
        Display type 'x11'                                            
        Hardware accelerator 'vaapi'                                  
        [hwdecode_demos] VA display 0x80644b0                         
        libva: libva version 0.31.0-sds3                              
        libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0                           
        libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so  
        libva: va_openDriver() returns 0                              
        [hwdecode_demos] VA API version 0.31                          
        [hwdecode_demos] 1 display attributes available               
        [hwdecode_demos]   VADisplayAttribDirectSurface     (get/---) min 0 max 0 value 0x0
        [hwdecode_demos] 4 profiles available                                              
        [hwdecode_demos]   VAProfileMPEG2Simple                                            
        [hwdecode_demos]   VAProfileMPEG2Main                                              
        [hwdecode_demos]   VAProfileH264High                                               
        [hwdecode_demos]   VAProfileVC1Advanced                                            
        [hwdecode_demos] 1 entrypoints available for VAProfileH264High                     
        [hwdecode_demos]   VAEntrypointVLD                                                 
        [hwdecode_demos] vaPutSurface(): the requested function is not implemented         
        ERROR: display failed                                                              

non7top@m ~/soft/vaapi/hwdecode-demos-0.7.5/src $ ./vaapi_mpeg2
        Display type 'x11'                                             
        [hwdecode_demos] VA display 0x80664b0                          
        [hwdecode_demos]   VADisplayAttribDirectSurface     (get/---) min 0 max 0 value 0x0
        [hwdecode_demos] 1 entrypoints available for VAProfileMPEG2Main                    
        [hwdecode_demos]   VAEntrypointIDCT                                                
        ERROR: decode failed                                                               

non7top@m ~/soft/vaapi/hwdecode-demos-0.7.5/src $ ./vaapi_mpeg4
        Display type 'x11'
        ERROR: decode failed

non7top@m ~/soft/vaapi/hwdecode-demos-0.7.5/src $ ./vaapi_vc1
        Display type 'x11'
        [hwdecode_demos] 1 entrypoints available for VAProfileVC1Advanced
        [hwdecode_demos]   VAEntrypointVLD
        [hwdecode_demos] vaPutSurface(): the requested function is not implemented
        ERROR: display failed
        2 gentoo users
        ok, I've fixed the manifests and will probably add hwdecode demos in overlay soon

Comment

• It would only work with the -glx option.

Comment

• 2Kano
            thanks, with glx vaapi_x264 and vaapi_vc1 do work just fine, but mplayer still crashes with

[VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=0.
            Unsupported PixelFormat -1

Comment

• I removed all of it, then installed the drivers, libva (and libva-dev) and xvba-video again.

Seems like I made a typo when linking libAMDXvBA.cap in /usr/lib the last time, since now vainfo works. hwdecode-demos always come back with "checking for XvBA... no". Everything else in the configure goes through fine.

When checking out the configure script I noticed these two lines:
              #include <amdpcom.h>
              #include <amdxvba.h>

Those files are nowhere to be found on my system, nor do I know if they're actually needed.

Compiling mplayer-vaapi now also goes through properly.

mplayer -vo vaapi:gl -va vaapi <file>:

real 2m20.468s
              user 0m4.500s
              sys 0m2.952s

mplayer -vo gl:yuv=2:rectangle=2 <file>:

real 2m20.454s
              user 1m0.936s
              sys 0m0.752s

So success!

Comment

• ATI wants to hide those files it seems. Classified, high security risk, ATI will be going bankrupt then those files would be officially available.

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                  BTW, I never really tested the 64-bit binaries, so it does interest me to know whether they work or not.
                  As I said earlier:

Basically works, but the colors of the decoded videos look slightly wrong.

Comment

• I had wrong colors with one movie too, others worked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chad Page View Post
                      There are 4350 PCI cards out there too, which have more shader power and might get working UVD2 someday.
                      Thanks a bunch! I didn't know such things existed. Knowing what to look for I easily found this one:

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-444.shtml

Do you happen to know of any others?

I don't think we'll ever see F/OSS support for UVD (2), at least not based on AMD documentation... Considering what's apparently at stake (the Blu-ray logo) and what will hopefully turn out to be a much more flexible and powerful alternative (shaders)... Also, there's no harm in having a piece of unused hardware on board, at least if it doesn't use (much) power when idle or makes the board significantly more expensive.

Originally posted by Chad Page View Post
                      I don't know how Noueavu's doing with the video decoders on GeForce cards.
                      I don't know either, but I do know that I would much rather give my money to AMD than to Nvidia.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Another vote for either HD4350 or 4550 (same GPU core, different RAM and clocks). If you want to pick up something from an earler generation I would go with at least HD2600/HD3650.
                      The HD 4xxx series is fine. :-) Do you have a link to an HD 4550 card in a PCI version?

Comment

• Originally posted by RemcoL View Post
                        hwdecode-demos always come back with "checking for XvBA... no". Everything else in the configure goes through fine.
                        I notice that there's this on the hwdecode-demos download page:
                        For XvBA demos:
                        XvBA SDK >= 0.73 is required for 2D display.
                        XvBA SDK >= 0.74 is required for 3D display.
                        I haven't bothered compiling the demos, but I suspect this means that any XvBA-specific demos require said sdk, which AFAIK hasn't been released publicly (else someone would, I assume, have hacked together XvBA support in mplayer long ago?).

I would suspect the va-api demos *might* still function, through, if the xvba-video wrapper has a complete enough implementation, but I'm not very familiar with these things so that is pure speculation.

Comment

• Could an application "translate" VDPAU to VA-API and the other way round, so that every accel technology could be used with every card?

Comment

• vapau-video just does that, D to deinterlace just does not work with vaapi but with pure vdpau. My script installs vdpau-video in case of nvidia card. There is no wrapper for the other way around.

http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbe...e/vdpau-video/

Comment

• Btw. i wanted to know if XvBA has got a deinterlacer, and guess what

objdump -d /usr/lib/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0|grep Sony|grep Deint

will show you When will D option work with vaapi and xvba/vdpau?

Comment

• Does anybody know if it will make a difference for xvba if the IGP (780g/785g) has SidePort memory or not?

(to the ones reporting succes with a 780g: which mainboard did you use?)

Comment

Working...
                                X