AMD Catalyst 9.9 Released !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 9.9 Released !

I'm downloading them right now ;-) gonna do some testing and post my results here

If anyone is interested :
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...6&lang=English

Well 9-9 is released, but as everybody waits for 9-10 or 9-11 that's basically a boring release. My script will install it, but it does not add .31 support.

Comment

Let the bashing begin!

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
        Let the bashing begin!
        O yes i use Catalyst 9.10 beta!... Beta's @ AMD always be better than the stable ons!

Kernel 2.6.31 is much better!...

Realy 9.9 is a boring release ... the PR from AMD is really uncool 9,9 was interesting 2 or 3 weeks Ago...

2-3 Weeks Ago i really install it but today? not really !

I'm waiting for the 9.10 stable or 9.11 beta...

9.10 feels good i do not downgrade a good driver!

Comment

Great, 9.9 downsamples Icons, Fonts ... to gain performance while switching Desktop.

Fixing something, which has never been a problem by making it look ugly doesn't solve anything.

Comment

Just installed it on my HD3200... I see no difference in performance with the previous version (9.8), but it says Xv overlay is not available (it was before, at least in 9.7, I don't remember checking xorg.conf when I installed 9.8).
            Screen-Related Options:
            --ovt, --overlay-type=STRING
            Change the overlay for the X server. STRING can be one of:
            opengl
            disable
            and aticonfig --ovt=Xv says : invalid string value.
            Anyway, VLC says it uses it, and it works with SD and HD video.

Could anyone explain? Thanks.

Comment

xvinfo

has output here, so xv is available. But do you really want to use it when it has tearing all the time? I prefer setting opengl to quality and then use opengl output. xv has to be fixed before it is useable.

Comment

Ubuntu 9.04 menu item still tries to start catalyst root version by referencing some non-existent script/app to gain root privileges...

anyone know if compositing problems have been fixed yet? e.g. freeze on wake from sleep with compositing enabled? etc.

[EDIT]
                *snicker* just noticed:
                "ATI Catalyst™ 9.8 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver"
                on the diver download page, but their revision table entry correctly lists 9.9 ...
                *sigh*
                [/EDIT]
                Last edited by cutterjohn; 09-12-2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Does it support Fedora 11 at last? or shall I wait another bloddy month?
                  (I will not download it unless it works with F11 and worths spending download time, because I'm using dial up! )

Comment

Originally posted by klaus View Post
                    Does it support Fedora 11 at last? or shall I wait another bloddy month?
                    (I will not download it unless it works with F11 and worths spending download time, because I'm using dial up! )
                    Yup. 64-bit F11, Radeon HD 3200 integrated here. I was running 9.8 with the fix to allow hardware cursor previously, if that makes a difference. Too soon to comment on stability. Kernel 2.6.30.5-43.fc11.x86_64.

Comment

Yet another buggy piece of shit.
                      Texture corruption all around. Even worst than it was with 9.8. Well, I think I'll have to go back to 9.7. This was the last version that worked more-or-less fine with my HD3450. Or even better, maybe it's time to start testing drm-from-git on my hardware.

Comment

Yeah... I downloaded, and installed it on My Fedora 11. But guess what!
                        aticonfig --initial: No supported adapters detected

after that my X kept not starting...

If it helps, I have provided the Xorg log file's important peice of output:

Code:
                        (II) Loading extension DRI2
                        (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
                        (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
                        (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
                            compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 8.64.3
                            Module class: X.Org Video Driver
                        (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
                        (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
                        (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.64.3
                        (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: 8.64                                 
                        (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Jul 14 2009 21:18:03
                        (II) Loading PCS database from /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
                        (WW) This ATI Proprietary Linux Driver does not guarantee support of video driver ABI higher than 2.0
                        (WW) Video driver ABI version of the X server is 5.0
                        (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
                        (EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
                        no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
                             at http://wiki.x.org
                         for help. 
                        Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
                        I tried again with the rpmfusion's catalyst driver, but the result was the same, it gave me the exact error...

Comment

Originally posted by klaus View Post
                          Yeah... I downloaded, and installed it on My Fedora 11. But guess what!
                          aticonfig --initial: No supported adapters detected

after that my X kept not starting...

If it helps, I have provided the Xorg log file's important peice of output:

Code:
                          (II) Loading extension DRI2
                          (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
                          (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
                          (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
                              compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 8.64.3
                              Module class: X.Org Video Driver
                          (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
                          (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
                          (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.64.3
                          (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: 8.64                                 
                          (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Jul 14 2009 21:18:03
                          (II) Loading PCS database from /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
                          (WW) This ATI Proprietary Linux Driver does not guarantee support of video driver ABI higher than 2.0
                          (WW) Video driver ABI version of the X server is 5.0
                          (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
                          (EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
                          no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
                               at http://wiki.x.org
                           for help. 
                          Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
                          I tried again with the rpmfusion's catalyst driver, but the result was the same, it gave me the exact error...

I think that log shows that you're using the 9.8 and not the 9.9 driver. Here's from my log:

Code:
                          (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.65.4
                          (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: 8.65                                 
                          (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Aug 13 2009 21:15:59

Comment

Well, I tried both, and none resulted. When I installed the 9.9 catalyst, the message told me that errors occured, and I should look at the fglrx_install.log file.

and here it is:
                            Code:
                            Unloading radeon module...
                            Unloading drm module...
                            [Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
                            [Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
                            [Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
                            AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
                            doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
                            rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.GCC* .??* *.symvers
                            make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i586/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
                            make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i586'
                              CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
                            In file included from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:444:
                            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/drm_proc.h: In function ‘FGLDRM__vma_info’:
                            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/drm_proc.h:497: warning: format ‘%08lx’ expects type ‘long unsigned int’, but argument 5 has type ‘phys_addr_t’
                            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘firegl_init_devices’:
                            /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:926: warning: integer constant is too large for ‘unsigned long’ type
                              CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o
                              CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_agp.o
                              CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.o
                              CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_ioctl.o
                              CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_io.o
                              CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_pci.o
                              CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_str.o
                              CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_wait.o
                              LD [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.o
                              Building modules, stage 2.
                              MODPOST 1 modules
                              CC      /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.mod.o
                              LD [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko
                            make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i586'
                            build succeeded with return value 0
                            duplicating results into driver repository...
                            done.
                            You must change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx
                            and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
                            - recreating module dependency list
                            - trying a sample load of the kernel modules
                            failed.
                            [Error] Kernel Module : Reboot required.

Comment

As it said, I restarted the laptop. After booting up, the system crashed, everytime. I blacklisted the radeon and radeonhd modules and this time system came up. But I don't have any kind of acceleration.

glxinfo says:
                              X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
                              Major opcode of failed request: 135 (GLX)
                              Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
                              Serial number of failed request: 16
                              Current serial number in output stream: 16

I can not run aticonfig cause it says:
                              aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

Really, what should I do so that I can use half of my graphic cards power to complete my university project...

Comment

Working...
                              X