Bad HD4870x2 fab? :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    OK guys this card is absolutely D.E.A.D.! Now even with the 2D drivers I got blue stripes all over my screen (yeah framebuffer).

So I ripped it out and luckily I've got a HD3300 IGP, but even that card doesn't work with the Catalyst drivers. Installed it, rebooted, booted into a root shell, did aticonfig --initial and then reboot but even that didn't work. Same crap. But the 2D drivers are working with this... IGP.

So now I'm on Windows and absolutely had it with Linux now (for one week probably untill I get absolutely fed up with Win$hit Xperience Pain xD) just because I want to play a simple game of Quake Live that does not go over the freaking soft-pipe with 0.33fps

Anyway thank you for all your time and I hope I can get warrenty on my HD4870x2 (I don't know if I have this card for over or less than a year, so... )
    o man i'm so sorry.

can you please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/x11/xorg.conf

Comment

RMA

Yea, that is a pity man, hope you can rma the card.

I experienced like symptoms on a powercolor hd4870.
      It is rma now, the reseller tested the card and confirmed it was broken.
      Mine would freeze at stock memory speeds; both in windows and linux.

I bought a sapphire to replace it and that is fine.
      Now i am only waiting for the reseller to send the other card back.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        o man i'm so sorry.
        Hahaha are you serious? :P It is not a human being xD Besides, I can still do real life stuff with the IGP, so it's just a luxury problem

can you please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/x11/xorg.conf
        Yeah sure, but why? I already took out the card and removed the xorg-diver-fglrx so would these files be of any use? If you want this out of curiosity, for testing purposes or driver development or whatever I wouldn't mind reinstalling the card and posting the logs

Comment

Hahaha are you serious? :P It is not a human being xD Besides, I can still do real life stuff with the IGP, so it's just a luxury problem

Yeah sure, but why? I already took out the card and removed the xorg-diver-fglrx so would these files be of any use? If you want this out of curiosity, for testing purposes or driver development or whatever I wouldn't mind reinstalling the card and posting the logs
          fglrx 9-10 and IGP hd3300?... does not work to on your pc..

you can play on this cart to!
          Last edited by Qaridarium; 09-08-2009, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
            fglrx 9-10 and IGP hd3300?... does not worl to on your pc..

you can play on this cart to!
            Oops :P *I'm blond* xD (blond hair means you're stupid in my country, don't know if this is international...)

Yeah I will try that now, although upon trying to download a Windows driver for the HD3300 series from the ATI website it said that this was not supported by AMD itself and I could only get it from OEM...

Comment

/var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/m5187b38a
              /etc/x11/xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/m6d5b6266

PS: The xorg-driver-fglrx file is 89.9MB and it's from the Kubuntu repo's, is this Catalyst 9.10? Might the Kubuntu repo's not be different from the Ubuntu repo's and therefore the xorg-driver-fglrx driver not 9.10 yet? :S
              Last edited by V!NCENT; 09-07-2009, 07:59 AM.

Comment

147.(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.60.40
                148.(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: 8.60.4
                149.(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Mar 14 2009 21:46:40
                Looks like you're running the driver which was released with Ubuntu 9.04, ie an early version of the Catalyst 9.4 driver.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Looks like you're running the driver which was released with Ubuntu 9.04, ie an early version of the Catalyst 9.4 driver.
                  Yeah but I did #aptitude dist-upgrade and so I'm also running KDE4.3 now. But how do I fix this? =x
                  Should I just install 9.10 from a live image? I don't want to risk trashing my entire HDD with alpha software and 9.8 doesn't work either =x

Comment

Yeah but I did #aptitude dist-upgrade and so I'm also running KDE4.3 now. But how do I fix this? =x
                    Should I just install 9.10 from a live image? I don't want to risk trashing my entire HDD with alpha software and 9.8 doesn't work either =x
                    there server needs time to sync english server has the driver first germans 1 day later..

if you DU to 9.10 you sould also make a apt-get dist-upgrade -f apt-get install -f

purge the old driver if you can apt-get purge xorg-fglrx....

and then reinstall the newdriver apt-get install.

you also can get the files from the server by hand and use dpkg -i

i think your problem is the "old" driver the 9.10 in ubuntu 9.10 is not make for an clean upgrade or the old one is broken.

Please install a fresh clean ubuntu 9.10 and install the FGLRX from the repo and you will see it works!

Comment

Update

Great! I got an RMA number

It's outside of warrenty but I can send it back. If the card is confirmed to be broken by the store than I get a free replacement + mail cost ^^,

I haven't tried the 9.10 driver for Ubuntu yet, but I am currently busy with OpenCL under Windows with the ATI Stream shizzle anyway so I get back to Linux whenever Gallium + OpenCL state tracker for a n00b distro lands :P

Comment

Working...
                      X