Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 9.10 dropped in Ubuntu 9.10

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ka...er/008022.html

Supports Ubuntu 9.10 including Linux 2.6.31. Should be on your mirror soon I guess

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ka...er/008022.html

Supports Ubuntu 9.10 including Linux 2.6.31. Should be on your mirror soon I guess
    Jiiiiippiieeeeeeee Thank you amd very much!

Party on!... Beer freee Beer for everyone!

i test it now on kbuntu 9.10 after the install in the packetmanager/apt

restart and aticonfig --initial is needed!
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 09-05-2009, 05:00 AM.

Comment

A little script to install it somewhere else - but you need new Xserver, missing files for Debian lenny for example:
      Code:
      #!/bin/sh
      cd /usr/src
      wget -N http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-9-8-x86.x86_64.run
      wget -N http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/restricted/f/fglrx-installer/fglrx-installer_8.660.orig.tar.gz
      DIR_OLD=fglrx.old
      DIR_NEW=fglrx.new
      rm -rf "$DIR_OLD" "$DIR_NEW"
      mkdir "$DIR_OLD" "$DIR_NEW"
      sh ati-driver-installer-9-8-x86.x86_64.run --extract "$DIR_OLD"
      tar -C "$DIR_NEW" -zvxf fglrx-installer_8.660.orig.tar.gz
      cp "$DIR_OLD"/* "$DIR_NEW"
      cp -r "$DIR_OLD"/setup.data "$DIR_NEW"
      cd "$DIR_NEW"
      wget -qO- "http://phorogit.com/index.php?p=fglrx-packaging.git&dl=targz"|tar zxv
      mv -v fglrx-packaging packages
      rm -rf packages/ArchLinux
      mkdir common
      mv -v etc lib opt usr common
      cp -r ../"$DIR_OLD"/packages/ATI packages
      ./ati-installer.sh 8.66 --install
      Edit: --install option fixed, you can replace that line with the one you usually use to create deb/rpm or whatever.
      Last edited by Kano; 09-09-2009, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Awesome!! The annoying 'X freeze when killed' bug is fixed!

Comment

Wait, 10 hours since the release and still nobody is bitching about bugs? Weird

Anyway, I've modified the 9.8 ebuild to use this tar.bz2 and it seems to be a decent release. It works with 2.6.31-rc8 and Oblivion works in wine without tricks (no dlls from directx, no registry edits).

I still can't get gdm to stop (it hangs the computer if I try) and xv still shows washed colors, but other than that no complaints. I still prefer the open source driver for daily usage, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fran View Post
            Wait, 10 hours since the release and still nobody is bitching about bugs? Weird
            Nvidia Fan-boys run out of arguments!

like Kano big Nvidia fan-boy but no criticism right now.

now we only need an OpenCL/opengl/shader project to speed up viedeos Linux users sould give a fuck abaut UVD2...

Comment

Most drawbacks with fglrx are wine issues now (best compare the same apps/games with nvidia card and same wine version), also non working xv without flickering and nothing to compete with vdpau which would be officially supported - unofficial benchmarks are really funny when nobody can verify em. But at least you see a picture with fglrx in U now - and with my hack or a simple mod somewhere else too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Most drawbacks with fglrx are wine issues now (best compare the same apps/games with nvidia card and same wine version), also non working xv without flickering and nothing to compete with vdpau which would be officially supported - unofficial benchmarks are really funny when nobody can verify em. But at least you see a picture with fglrx in U now - and with my hack or a simple mod somewhere else too.
                I missed that ;-) WE NEED MORE LIKE YOU !

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  also non working xv without flickering
                  So Xv is still broken then I'll stick to the open source drivers.

Comment

Xv is not broken. It just doesn't offer Vsync.

Comment

Xv is not broken. It just doesn't offer Vsync.
                      ... or correct colors.

Comment

... or in other words: useless.

Edit:
                        Just installed the new driver on Gentoo. Seems to work.
                        Last edited by RealNC; 09-05-2009, 07:42 PM.

Comment

installed karmic to try it out, seems much improved - compiz + mplayer is working flawlessly so far, nexuiz and sauerbraten also worked well with compositing on.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
                            installed karmic to try it out, seems much improved - compiz + mplayer is working flawlessly so far, nexuiz and sauerbraten also worked well with compositing on.
                            But the 1-2s freezes when maximizing windows/etc. are still there.

Comment

But the 1-2s freezes when maximizing windows/etc. are still there.
                              I don't think this will ever be fixed. It's been like that for at least 14 driver releases (like the xv-showing-washed-colors issue) and several xorg releases. Some blame xorg, some blame ATI and nobody finds a solution valid for Intel and ATI cards.

So the options are patching xorg, using the open source driver (works great with 2D effects) or disabling composite. Waiting for a driver to fix this is too optimistic.

Comment

Working...
                              X