No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.10 dropped in Ubuntu 9.10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fglrx 9.10 (from ubuntu) is the way to go if you want suspend-to-ram (I haven't tried suspend-to-disk) working

Gentoo ~amd64, 2.6.31-zen1, ASUS EAH Radeon 4850, fglrx 9.10 (ubuntu release), fluxbox / xfce4

both desktop environments work both well with s2ram and disabled framebuffer

it switches to the VT and then from there suspends, after wakeup it's back at X

the command to make it suspend to ram is:

Code:
    s2ram -a 1 -m -f

this has NEVER successfully worked for me in the last 5 years with fglrx:

*) it either hardlocked when switching to VT

*) hardlocked the computer totally when waking up or during suspend

*) the screen stayed black

so finally I can ditch windows Vista most of the time and ban Windows XP into a VirtualMachine where it's only run if there are programs which my university forces me to use (and there's no linux-port for)

excellent work guys

3 wishes for improvement and fglrx:

*) faster support for newer kernels

*) support for preemptible rcu and/or full kernel preemption

*) support for other / additional slab allocators (such as slqb)

Thanks a lot !
    Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 09-22-2009, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Hello,

since 9.9 the fglrx suffers from strange OpenGL perfomance regressions and other flaws.

As soon I am using compiz, the card shows a high load and almost never clocks down anymore.
      Quake wars performance dropped by alsmost 20%

Using best texture quality setting in compiz actually renders the Desktop with a lower resolution and upsamples it when switching through virtual workspaces.

Still there is no possibility to use PC-level with XV, no Vsync.

Card used: HD 4850

Comment

@KernelOfTruth
        I found that with Ubuntu 9.04 x86-64 disabling compiz/beryl(desktop effects in GNOME -- not sure if xfce wm supports that as I haven't run an xfce is some time(was testing it as a more featured replacement for fluxbox on an old nb)) solved the freezing on wake from sleep/hibernate for me...

It'd be really nice if 9.10 final actually fixes that, along with video playback also occassionally freezing the machine after wake from sleep. (It doesn't happen all of the time now, so they must've at least made a partial fix for it so far...)

(4850 mobility 512MB GDDR3, P8600)

Comment

Cat 9.10 with HD5870 - any luck?

Has anyone tried this 9.10 beta with a HD5870?

Comment

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
            Now for unofficial reports you obviously have forums and so on. Also a number of years ago I asked the forum members to conentrate bug reports on a bugzilla vs a set of "known issues" forums. The result was http://ati.cchtml.com/ and it is my preferred "community" bug aggregation resource. Again, we see all the bug activity on there, if you are lucky and the issue you are posting is relevant to our current focus, AMD employees also post there too.
            I recall bridgman reminding that it's very important not to just report bugs on the tracker and forget them there but actively attempt to participate in the solving process. (since AMD/ATi might be unable to reproduce the problem) Also telling them which bugs actually got fixed there probably helps them to keep working on the ones that are still a problem.

Comment

Just tried installing the driver linked in this thread on my msi laptop with x1270 ATI (r6xx) based chipset - the driver installs but when reboot, aticonfig says no hardware detected... What gives?

Using the default ati driver that comes with ubuntu 9.10, glxinfo reports Mesa DRI R300 (RS690 791F)... Is this driver not compat? Sorry, am brand new to Ubuntu world...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                also non working xv without flickering
                Did you tried --xv-pixmap-buffer-type option from aticonfig?

Comment

No, vsync for xv has to be the default and no special case!

Comment

Originally posted by zapbrannigan99 View Post
                    Just tried installing the driver linked in this thread on my msi laptop with x1270 ATI (r6xx) based chipset
                    That is not an R6xx chip. That's R3xx and not supported anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                      That's not a fglrx specific bug it happens with Windows too. ATI always uses Video-Level for Videos and there ist no way to configure it to PC-Level.
                      FWIW you should be able to get vsync and correct color by using -

mplayer -vo gl:yuv=4

It's been a while since I tested fglrx but it used to be the case that the right mplayer + fglrx version combination was almost as good as xv for cpu usage. Less lucky version matches would tend to eat a bit too much.

Comment

gl is ok for sd or maybe 720p, but not for 1080p with 30 mbps with softdecoding on a slow 3450 card. there hw accelleration is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                          Thanks AMD for the driver, don't forget to release 9.9 and 9.10 (final), too

of course it's still there !

you haven't re-compiled your x-server with the fix from fedora (it's an issue caused by intel from what I've read so far)

fglrx+kde4+composite, how to make it really fast (f.g.o)

the patch is called: fedora_dont_backfill_bg_none.patch patch

when using an x-server with that patch included there's no delay in maximizing (none with compiz and none with kwin's opengl backend)
                          You are the man !

I have just tried this patch and it works GREAT !

Thank you !!

Comment

Originally posted by zapbrannigan99 View Post
                            Just tried installing the driver linked in this thread on my msi laptop with x1270 ATI (r6xx) based chipset - the driver installs but when reboot, aticonfig says no hardware detected... What gives?

Using the default ati driver that comes with ubuntu 9.10, glxinfo reports Mesa DRI R300 (RS690 791F)... Is this driver not compat? Sorry, am brand new to Ubuntu world...
                            the Ubuntu9.10 internal driver Radeon is full featured there is no need for the FGLRX/catalyst driver.

in fakt AMD drop the FGLRX support in 9-3 for your Cart "R300"

Comment

"no need" is not correct, better impossible to run fglrx 9-3 with that new Xserver. If you really want fglrx then only with Xserver 1.5 at max and 2.6.28 kernel. But full featured is also not correct. GLSL does not work, so mainly only compiz and old games work.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                                "no need" is not correct, better impossible to run fglrx 9-3 with that new Xserver. If you really want fglrx then only with Xserver 1.5 at max and 2.6.28 kernel. But full featured is also not correct. GLSL does not work, so mainly only compiz and old games work.
                                Old cart for old Games ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X