Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep aspect ratio on LCD Panel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Keep aspect ratio on LCD Panel

    I just got a Gateway MD2614u with HD3200 graphics and a 1366x768 screen. Some games, like ioquake, don't let me select the native resolution, so selecting 1024x768 results in a stretched screen. Is there a way to disable video resulution scaling, or to keep the resolution aspect ratio?

    I'm using Catalyst 9.8 with Kubuntu 9.04 and kernel 2.6.30.5.

  • #2
    If you have a digital monitor, then there are controls for that in catalyst control center (select "keep aspect ratio").

    It doesn't work with analog monitors though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by glock24 View Post
      I just got a Gateway MD2614u with HD3200 graphics and a 1366x768 screen. Some games, like ioquake, don't let me select the native resolution, so selecting 1024x768 results in a stretched screen. Is there a way to disable video resulution scaling, or to keep the resolution aspect ratio?
      I know this is not the answer for your question, but if ioquake configuration is like quake3's (and I suppose it is), you can set your desired resolution with
      Code:
      seta r_customheight "1050" <-- your y
      seta r_customwidth "1680" <-- your x
      seta r_mode "-1"
      in the config file.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        If you have a digital monitor, then there are controls for that in catalyst control center (select "keep aspect ratio").

        It doesn't work with analog monitors though.
        The display is the laptop's built-in screen, so it is digital. The option is present in the Windows drivers, but not in Linux.

        I'll try your suggestion Fran, but I still want to disable the display stretch.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by glock24 View Post
          The display is the laptop's built-in screen, so it is digital. The option is present in the Windows drivers, but not in Linux.
          I wouldn't mention it if the option wasn't there for Linux too.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, I just checked on my other laptop, which has a HD3650, and the display scaling options are also missing. Here's a screenshot:



            This option was available in Catalyst 9.5 or 9.6 if I remember correctly, maybe this is a bug in 9.8? Is there any xorg.conf options I should enable?

            Comment


            • #7
              Yep they're missing, I noticed that right away, but ignored it since I decided that I preferred centered mode with the black borders anyways...

              Comment


              • #8
                You need to connect the monitor with DVI/HDMI not via analog vga to get those options.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  You need to connect the monitor with DVI/HDMI not via analog vga to get those options.
                  Mine is a notebook, and those options appear under the windows drivers which is where I made the determination that I preferred centered anyways...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    aticonfig --help lists an option:

                    --lcd, --lcd-mode=STRING
                    Change the LCD mode. STRING can be one of:
                    center
                    full

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I looked for that option in aticonfig, but didn't see it before.

                      Thanks RealNC, that fixes the problem.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ...and now that I think of it the option to have it use the full screen appears to just be a stretching of the display anyways that does NOT maintain aspect ratio, which is probably why I preferrd the center option... (even that is not a perfect solution, as aspect ratio will still be off, but hopefully by not nearly as much as the stretching(scaling) option...)

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X