Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.8 Delivers New Kernel Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    opengl version

    hmm, would be good to include opengl/glsl version in the driver news, so I have all on one page and don't need to dig around thanks

    Comment


    • #47
      Anyone else getting massive graphical distortions on the Tropics demo?

      Comment


      • #48
        Almost two days now and still "not found" for the release notes.

        Can it be that nobody in AMD even gives a damn?

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by energyman View Post
          Symbol: PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY [=y] │
          │ Prompt: Voluntary Kernel Preemption (Desktop) │
          │ Defined at kernel/Kconfig.preempt:19 │
          │ Depends on: <choice> │
          │ Location: │
          │ -> Processor type and features │
          │ -> Preemption Model (<choice> [=y])

          and preempt:rcu:
          │ This option reduces the latency of the kernel by making certain │
          │ RCU sections preemptible. Normally RCU code is non-preemptible, if │
          │ this option is selected then read-only RCU sections become │
          │ preemptible. This helps latency, but may expose bugs due to │
          │ now-naive assumptions about each RCU read-side critical section │
          │ remaining on a given CPU through its execution. │


          so I stay with no. Because rcu bugs can result in data corrpution. I like the stuff on my harddisks.
          So you more or less confirm what I wrote earlier.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Almost two days now and still "not found" for the release notes.

            Can it be that nobody in AMD even gives a damn?
            Let's just assume their team is terribly undermanned.

            Comment


            • #51
              Good release, at last kernel 2.6.30 support, though 2.6.31 is about to be released. But hopefully 9.9 will have support for it because Ubuntu will be almost close to release by then. Still the leaked 64bit driver I was using was not from 9.8 maybe it was 9.9 or 9.10 beta.

              Comment


              • #52
                I think it was a very early 9.9, sort of a pre-alpha.

                Comment


                • #53
                  I'm missing the --xv-pixmap-buffer-type option from the leaked 8.65 version in aticonfig.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    I have installed the driver, and the TV out is broken. Despite I have the
                    Code:
                    Option "TVFormat" "PAL-B"
                    line in my device section of my xorg.conf if I run
                    Code:
                    xrandr -screen 1 --prop
                    it gives tv_format:NTSC-JPN. And the image is flickering and there are no colors.

                    Moreover, after rollback to the 9.7 driver the problem persist.

                    Has anyone any idea?

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by kensai View Post
                      Good release, at last kernel 2.6.30 support, though 2.6.31 is about to be released. But hopefully 9.9 will have support for it because Ubuntu will be almost close to release by then. Still the leaked 64bit driver I was using was not from 9.8 maybe it was 9.9 or 9.10 beta.
                      I'd assume they ship a pre-release and backport the release, as before, if it's not ready in time.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                        Anyone else getting massive graphical distortions on the Tropics demo?
                        I've got the same thing. Try to change AA settings, it helps... sometimes.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Lory View Post
                          I have installed the driver, and the TV out is broken. Despite I have the
                          Code:
                          Option "TVFormat" "PAL-B"
                          line in my device section of my xorg.conf if I run
                          Code:
                          xrandr -screen 1 --prop
                          it gives tv_format:NTSC-JPN. And the image is flickering and there are no colors.

                          Moreover, after rollback to the 9.7 driver the problem persist.

                          Has anyone any idea?
                          I'm guessing that option came from some other driver.

                          AFAIK you normally set TV standards on fglrx using aticonfig. Run aticonfig --help and look for TV options.

                          I think you want something like aticonfig --tvf=PAL-B.
                          Last edited by bridgman; 08-18-2009, 03:58 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                            Just curious, where did you get that option from, maybe some other driver ?
                            from the catalyst driver manual (/usr/share/doc/ati/html/ for me)

                            Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                            AFAIK you normally set TV standards on fglrx using aticonfig. Run aticonfig --help and look for TV options.
                            Yes, I have tried but not working. Nor with catalyst 9.7.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                              I think it was a very early 9.9, sort of a pre-alpha.
                              Then 9.9 won't have kernel 2.6.31 support, 9.10 should.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Does anyone have a solution for the freeze situation on FC11?
                                I have installed the 9.8 driver on FC11 64-bit, it works fine until a program of mine tries to connect to the internet, pidgin for instance.
                                As soon as that happens, the whole system freezes. The open source radeon driver works flawlessly though.
                                I haven't found any solution for that problem. so I hope anyone of you DOES have a solution.

                                Looking forward

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X