Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.8 Delivers New Kernel Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • my motherboard is 140W capable and officially supported the 140W phenoms.


    As I wrote, I did puish my system. Daily stuff, 106W. Tv? 116W. Compiling some fat package? 160W. Gaming? 160-200W. Artificially maxing the system? 300W.

    And with artificially maxing I used cpuburn cores*2+ut2004/vegastrike, while having find walking through my system.

    Measured on the plug side. So the system itself draw even less.

    I googled for your board and energy consumption:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mot...a790gp-ds4h/13

    doesn't look that high...

    Not high powered PSUs make your system stable. High quality make it stable. And high wattage and high quality are not the same - and with some psu's even mutual exclusive.

    In short, your PSU is way overpowered. You are wasting a lot of electricity and money.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by energyman View Post
      In short, your PSU is way overpowered. You are wasting a lot of electricity and money.
      On what? The PSU doesn't burn juice for nothing. Only for what's needed. It can *provide* up to 1000W, it doesn't *consume* 1000W by itself.

      Comment


      • no, it does waste electricity because it is so underloaded that it runs less effective

        Comment


        • Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          You can get decent results of your system's PSU requirements here:

          http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com

          Of course it might be a few watts off, but it still gives a good idea about general wattage requirements.
          Kaboom baby: 574 Watts. The best PSU's have 80% efficency so 650 * 0.8 = 520 Watts. 520 - 574 = -54 Watts. Ah that means that a 650 Watt with a 85% CPU TDP use and 100% load (I can easily get that) is NOT enough.

          n what? The PSU doesn't burn juice for nothing. Only for what's needed. It can *provide* up to 1000W, it doesn't *consume* 1000W by itself.
          ^That. Anybody saying otherwise needs to go back to school.
          Last edited by V!NCENT; 08-24-2009, 11:16 AM.

          Comment


          • you are still doing it wrong! The watt on the package are about the OUTPUT not the INPUT!

            650W PSU = 650W on the package and on the system side, but it sucks 812W from the wall socket.

            In your case a 650W PSU would be way more than enough.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              ^That. Anybody saying otherwise needs to go back to school.
              look up efficency. Best, go to anandtech and read their huge article about the shortcomings of overblown psu's.

              Comment


              • Also, one thing you get wrong is that PSUs have the best rated efficiency at certain loads. For example, most high end PSUs have 90% efficiency when the load is higher than 80%. If the load on the PSU is lower (way lower in Vincent's case) the conversion efficiency is even lower.

                Read some basic electronics and figure out what happens inside a power source.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by CNCFarraday View Post
                  Also, one thing you get wrong is that PSUs have the best rated efficiency at certain loads. For example, most high end PSUs have 90% efficiency when the load is higher than 80%. If the load on the PSU is lower (way lower in Vincent's case) the conversion efficiency is even lower.

                  Read some basic electronics and figure out what happens inside a power source.
                  exactly - Vincent's psu should be below 20% load most of the time - and that means, less than 80% efficiency. Sometimes down to 50-60%... wasting lots and lots of power...

                  Comment


                  • this story reminds me of american cars with V8 5.4L engines... at 100bhp...

                    Just cause the number is bigger doesnt mean its better. But some people never get it. YEAH 5GHZ!!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      exactly - Vincent's psu should be below 20% load most of the time - and that means, less than 80% efficiency. Sometimes down to 50-60%... wasting lots and lots of power...
                      thats right BUT!

                      less power efficiency does not mean less healty.

                      bigger one does also have bigger cooler passiv ones and aktiv ons

                      thats means if you only use 20% you also get a cooler one becourse of the bigger cooling system.

                      most of the time bigger one have also more quality becourse you cant build a bigger one cheaper thats becourse the cheap one will explote @1000watt outgoing.

                      but yes the efficiency is low thats right.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X