Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.8 Preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Top of page 2.

    Comment


    • #22
      Great, downloading right now!

      Comment


      • #23
        got in installed - 2.6.30 and xorg 1.6.3 and no patches - thats more like it.

        definately noticed performance improvemnts with nexiuz and saurbraten.

        glxgears now gives me higher fps with compositing enabled than without... for some odd reason.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by mirv View Post
          Not really - it's probably something that won't concern most people (in other words, that bit on primitive restart isn't very funky), and actually might make things cleaner elsewhere. It's just a natural progression away from the whole client state enable/disable.
          My definition of funky was that it's quite a bit different than what nVidia did even though it's originally nVidia's extension.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            My definition of funky was that it's quite a bit different than what nVidia did even though it's originally nVidia's extension.
            Ah, gotchya.
            (btw, I'm damned tired as of writing this, but can't sleep until tried out new drivers!)
            I suspect ati would have done somthing similar if the opengl spec hadn't had some fairly drastic changes in that area. In any case, now that it's part of the standard, I'll be using primitive restarts in my terrain renderer.

            In other areas, no complaints about 9.8 so far. Still can't start amdcccle (something in my system really doesn't like that program), but otherwise it's all fine.

            Comment


            • #26
              I said I would forget about fglrx, but since this time it seems to support recent kernels and I've heard that Oblivion will be playable in wine with this version, I'm giving it a try. It seems to work ok with 2.6.31-rc6 (after re-exporting find_task_by_vpid). The performance is also good, but compositing is broken, as always (maximizing a window takes forever). And xv is also broken, as always (fucking washed colors).

              I'll try to play Oblivion. (edit) Nope, it doesn't work. In fact it RESETS MY COMPUTER after the game menu (it doesn't hang it, it resets it). Oh well. Back to the OS drivers.
              Last edited by Fran; 08-17-2009, 04:28 PM.

              Comment


              • #27
                I tried it, got "undefined symbol resVGAShared" or something like that.

                I think I'll stick with the better-written xorg drivers.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Fran View Post
                  I said I would forget about fglrx, but since this time it seems to support recent kernels and I've heard that Oblivion will be playable in wine with this version, I'm giving it a try. It seems to work ok with 2.6.31-rc6 (after re-exporting find_task_by_vpid). The performance is also good, but compositing is broken, as always (maximizing a window takes forever). And xv is also broken, as always (fucking washed colors).

                  I'll try to play Oblivion.
                  there is a patched xserver floating around that takes care of the maximizing/resizing problem.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by Fran View Post
                    I'll try to play Oblivion. (edit) Nope, it doesn't work. In fact it RESETS MY COMPUTER after the game menu (it doesn't hang it, it resets it). Oh well. Back to the OS drivers.
                    Did you set the OffscreenRenderingMode to backbuffer in the registry?
                    Oblivion doesn't work with the standard fbo mode

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Waaawaaawuuuu! I think ATI makes first rock solid driver for linux. All head aches gone. XV video does not distort picture. OpenGL works better under compiz. Even I can use OpenGL Video render under AIGLX now. Superb!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X