Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fermulator View Post
    Glad it worked for you!

What distro are you running? -- I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 currently, and following these instructions is how I get the AMD Catalyst drivers to install nicely integrating with Ubuntu's "Deb" package manager and etc.:
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...ivers_manually

My guess is that you need to re-run the ati config command:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    The other thing to consider is to check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and ensure that the "Virtual" resolution is as large as needed... (honestly though, I'm not sure you should have to edit this manually as when I ran amdcccle it automatically adjusted this for me, and even told me it was going to do this...)

Here's my screen section in my own xorg.conf:

NOTE: I have dual monitors, each monitor running @ 1680x1050, so the total virtual space configuration allows me to have my screens side-by-side or top-to-bottom (rotated) -- basically the worst case -- allows me to configure my dual monitors in any way I like.

I am running 9.04, too, 64-bit. I tried your suggestions with no luck. For some reason, the resolution and refresh do not change even after replacing the amdpcsdb file and applying the changes. Xrandr is still an available command option and it shows the max resolution being the 2048x768 at 60 Hz.

Is there a way to tell X whether through Xrandr or somewhere in the amd/ati config files that these values are higher? The xorg.conf file doen't have an option for "Virtual", and when I insert, save, and reboot the wallpaper has changed, window switching/minimizing/maximizing/closing is slow by 1-2 seconds, and the settings in both Catalyst and Gnome Screen Resolution remain the same. I can't seem to get the code to work using Xrandr: I need to add the resolution and refresh rate to be available in Catalyst and the syntax is a little confusing. Only 2048x768 shown when Catalyst open, but numerous under the Gnome Screen Resolution option under System=>Preferences, none higher than 2048x768.

Comment

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04. How should I do this?

Mike

Originally posted by fermulator View Post
      Try the latest catalyst drivers, they work better with defaults.

Comment

Originally posted by mslinn View Post
        I'm running Ubuntu 9.04. How should I do this?

Mike
        I always follow these instructions: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...ivers_manually, modifying for whatever the latest version from ATI is at the time.

Installing the ATI drivers as DEBs is "nicer".

Comment

Uh-oh. I have two EAH-4350 cards, which are not on the compatibility list. Is there a way forward?

Comment

I just did a clean install with Ubuntu 9.10 and the Catalyst drivers. Still only uses one monitor even though there are two EAH4350 cards. I get "Failed to execute child process "amdxdg-su" (No such file or directory)."

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times. Am I wasting my time on this card? Should I be using other drivers?

I've been stuck here for months.

Comment

mslinn; are you running the appropriate aticonfig command after install ? Going from memory, but I think it would be something like :

sudo aticonfig --initial=dual-head --adapter=all

If you run aticonfig --help and look at the end of the resulting output you'll find details on these options. Further up are options to let you control where the screens are placed.

You *might* also want to disable RandR support if you're using multiple cards -- not sure if that is still required or if we figured out how to make RandR (which is still single-card oriented) coexist with multicard support -- but make sure you're running the right setup commands first and let us know what happens.
              Last edited by bridgman; 11-01-2009, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Hopefully xrandr will add multi-head and multi-card support so that it can fix things like that

Comment

Yeah... the hard part is that the RandR model assumes all displays are in the same frame buffer, which simplifies the rest of the graphics stack.

Going to multi-card means that drawing commands all need to be checked against card boundaries and executed on one or both GPUs depending on whether the window (and the operation) cross the line between cards.

Comment

Working...
                  X