Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Releases OpenCL SDK For Linux Too

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Releases OpenCL SDK For Linux Too

    Phoronix: AMD Releases OpenCL SDK For Linux Too

    As part of their Stream 2.0 Beta, AMD announced yesterday their OpenCL (Open Computing Language) Software Development Kit designed for multi-core x86 CPUs. They have submitted this SDK to the Khronos Group for certification, but it is available now...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzQzNQ

  • #2
    Hey, Michael you should also note that (differently from before), starting with Stream SDK 1.4, AMD operated a fetch restriction on downloads. You now need to be registered. Before I used to create ebuilds for gentoo ( http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=257626 ) to take advantage of this sdk.

    Now an automated procedure is no more as easy as before.

    I also look with suspect at an operation of closure on downloads to only registered people..

    Comment


    • #3
      Why they are so pedantic. I have having one zillion registrations all around, and not remembering them. Stupid move

      Comment


      • #4
        Don't worry... in 10 years we will have to register even to buy a box of milk in a mini market And when you buy the product it gets associated to your account... so they always know what you buy and who bought it

        Comment


        • #5
          Could the SDK end up being Open Source as well?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Louise View Post
            Could the SDK end up being Open Source as well?
            I don't think so for Steam, but OpenCL is. Gallium3D also is open source.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
              Don't worry... in 10 years we will have to register even to buy a box of milk in a mini market And when you buy the product it gets associated to your account... so they always know what you buy and who bought it
              People willing do this today... it's call air miles (or any other rewards program)

              Comment


              • #8
                When it comes to AMD's Linux support, they are currently supporting this new SDK under OpenSuSE 11.0 and Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
                WTH? Why on earth are they supporting openSUSE 11.0 instead of 11.1? The kernel on that distro doesn't properly support their flagship CPU's (power management , stepping and chipset features for example). Not to mention that it's replacement, 11.1 has already been out for about 8 months. There is also the fact that SLE 11 should be supported as well.
                Last edited by deanjo; 08-06-2009, 11:32 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'll ask. Might be a typo, but most likely answer is that the devs picked distro releases which would be stable throughout the development cycle and still be supported when the SDK hit the beta milestone. The release notes basically say "this is what we used when testing the beta SDK", so treat it as "history" not "policy".
                  Last edited by bridgman; 08-06-2009, 11:53 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I'll ask. Might be a typo, but most likely answer is that the devs picked distro releases which would be stable throughout the development cycle and still be supported when the SDK hit the beta milestone. The release notes basically say "this is what we used when testing the beta SDK", so treat it as "history" not "policy".
                    Still, 11.0 is nearing EOL (10 months to go). While I appreciate that they are using openSUSE as a test platform, 11.1 support would be excluded from testing as well as SLE. I can see using Ubuntu LTS as it has some supported life left on it, but not testing it against 11.1 or SLE is IMHO a bad move. I also find it odd that Intel compilers are supported but not AMD tuned compilers such as Pathscale or PGI which are aimed at big core count setups.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X