Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.7 For Linux Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    realy... nvidia has openGL3.2 beta driver... with wine specific openGL extansion..

    amd has OpenGL3.2 beta drivers to with wine specific openGL extansion..

    the only lithle point is.. wine 1.1.25 already has nvidia-only exansion it it..

    wine 1.1.27 will chance this point into an openGL3.2 extansion
    Now please, would you be so kind and at least take a moment to re-read what you're writing? It's okay if English is not your native language etc, but you don't even seem to try to write something which others can understand. Anyways, it can't be that hard to write "extension" correctly, especially since someone already corrected you in that regard, can it?

    So... I could hazard some guesses about what you mean, but I don't really have a clue what you're trying to tell us (didn't read the whole thread on the other hand).

    Comment


    • Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
      The version string indicates OGL 3.2 Beta not 3.1. If it would be 3.1 the string should be something like 3.0.xxxx.
      How do you translate `3.1.8787 BETA' into an OpenGL 3.2 beta? It clearly shows 3.1 in the version string, not 3.2. In fact, I tried creating an OpenGL 3.2 context (of course I wanted to try and see whether it worked), but that gave an OpenGL error. So catalyst 9.7 clearly has NO OGL 3.2 support.

      Catalyst 9.6 showed as version string (after requesting an OpenGL 3.0 context) something like: 3.0.xxxx. Really... 3.0.xxxx means OpenGL 3.0 and 3.1.xxxx means OpenGL 3.1 not OpenGL 3.2 (which will be something like 3.2.xxxx).
      Last edited by Heiko; 07-27-2009, 10:50 AM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Heiko View Post
        How do you translate `3.1.8787 BETA' into an OpenGL 3.2 beta? It clearly shows 3.1 in the version string, not 3.2. In fact, I tried creating an OpenGL 3.2 context (of course I wanted to try and see whether it worked), but that gave an OpenGL error. So catalyst 9.7 clearly has NO OGL 3.2 support.

        Catalyst 9.6 showed as version string (after requesting an OpenGL 3.0 context) something like: 3.0.xxxx. Really... 3.0.xxxx means OpenGL 3.0 and 3.1.xxxx means OpenGL 3.1 not OpenGL 3.2 (which will be something like 3.2.xxxx).
        3.0.xxxx something shortly before 3.1
        3.1.xxxx something shortly before 3.2

        Comment


        • Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
          3.0.xxxx something shortly before 3.1
          3.1.xxxx something shortly before 3.2
          I don't think I understand what you mean and want to say.

          What I did is make an application that does the following:

          Create an OpenGL 3.0 context, then ask OpenGL which version it is. It says: `OpenGL 3.0.xxxx'. So I ask for OpenGL 3.0 and I got OpenGL 3.0. Then I tried creating an OpenGL 3.1 context and thereafter I asked OpenGL which version it is. It says: `OpenGL 3.1.xxxx beta'. So I asked for OpenGL 3.1 and I got a beta OpenGL 3.1 context. The last thing I tried was creating an OpenGL 3.2 context. This does not work, OpenGL gave an error.

          So why do you claim Catalyst 9.7 supports OpenGL 3.2? Because it clearly doesn't.


          OpenGL reference pages say the following:
          Code:
          The GL_VERSION and GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION strings begin with a version number.
          The version number uses one of these forms:
                  
          major_number.minor_number
          major_number.minor_number.release_number
          In this case it says 3.1.8787.

          3: major version (OpenGL 3.x)
          1: minor version (OpenGL 3.1)
          8787: release_number: just a number AMD uses to indicate which version of the OpenGL driver this is. It increases with every release. It has nothing to do with OpenGL itself.
          Last edited by Heiko; 07-27-2009, 11:42 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Heiko View Post
            OpenGL reference pages say the following:
            Code:
            The GL_VERSION and GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION strings begin with a version number.
            The version number uses one of these forms:
                    
            major_number.minor_number
            major_number.minor_number.release_number
            In this case it says 3.1.8787.

            3: major version (OpenGL 3.x)
            1: minor version (OpenGL 3.1)
            8787: release_number: just a number AMD uses to indicate which version of the OpenGL driver this is. It increases with every release. It has nothing to do with OpenGL itself.
            Ok, then I was wrong. I took the third number into the OGL versioning scheme, like the KDE versioning scheme. Didn't know that the third number is unreleated to the OGL version.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
              Now please, would you be so kind and at least take a moment to re-read what you're writing? It's okay if English is not your native language etc, but you don't even seem to try to write something which others can understand. Anyways, it can't be that hard to write "extension" correctly, especially since someone already corrected you in that regard, can it?

              So... I could hazard some guesses about what you mean, but I don't really have a clue what you're trying to tell us (didn't read the whole thread on the other hand).
              i'm realy sorry "extension" an E in spoken english is like a spoken german A

              Extension=Ausdehnung oder Erweiterung

              i realy try to learn this word

              Comment


              • Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
                Ok, then I was wrong. I took the third number into the OGL versioning scheme, like the KDE versioning scheme. Didn't know that the third number is unreleated to the OGL version.
                the point is.. the version number in the driver abaut openGL is not the feature set of REAL features of the driver!

                in 9-7 the GSGL string is wrong 1.3... in the beta its korrekt 1.4!

                gsgl1.4=OpenGL3.1

                in fakt nvidia has openGL3.2 beta... in fakt amd work on 3.2 right now!

                Comment


                • Did you notice that 190.16 reported OpenGL 3.2, then this driver was completely removed from the servers and 190.18 reports now 3.1 Maybe too early *g*

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Did you notice that 190.16 reported OpenGL 3.2, then this driver was completely removed from the servers and 190.18 reports now 3.1 Maybe too early *g*
                    I thought nvidias 190.18 still reported OpenGL 3.2:
                    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzQwNg

                    Comment


                    • Look at a benchmark I uploaded:

                      http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...79-12391-32594

                      Comment


                      • Bug: Random areas of black rectangles still appear with 9.7. No known way to reproduce but screen refresh clears corruption. Pretty sure it appears even BEFORE putting system to sleep.

                        Comment


                        • Crossfire finally works on my 4870x2
                          Unigine Tropics got a 10 FPS increase.

                          I got some error messages in dmesg though:
                          Code:
                          [ 2911.922373] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_open] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0x7f80d3652000,handle:0xd0000000
                          [ 2912.198467] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_open] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0x7f80d2cc5000,handle:0xd1068000
                          .....
                          Gentoo Linux with kernel 2.6.30-r4
                          ATI Catalyst 9.7 (fglrx 8.63.2)
                          xorg-server 1.6.2.901

                          Comment


                          • See http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.p...571625#p571625. It's not a fix for the problem itself, but will keep your kernel logs from being spammed with these messages.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X