Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS M51TA-x2, Radeon HD 3650, Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ASUS M51TA-x2, Radeon HD 3650, Ideas

    Good afternoon,

    I am currently running a ASUS M51TA-x2 Laptop. It is equipped with two video cards. The ATI Radeon 3200 (id=0x9512) and the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (id=0x9591). I am currently running Ubuntu 9.10 and do not have opengl support at all. I was wondering if anyone knows what combination of Ubuntu version + fgrlx version + xorg version + kernel version i need to be able to have fully functioning open gl?

  • #2
    9.04 plus latest fglrx (9.6) is probably your best bet.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      9.04 plus latest fglrx (9.6) is probably your best bet.
      This is a no go. I've tried that. I have posted over in the ubuntuforums.org and have no responses. here is my post from over there: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1206970

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        9.04 plus latest fglrx (9.6) is probably your best bet.
        I have tried 9.04 and catalyst 9.6. No avail. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1206970 Is my link with methods that I have tried

        Comment


        • #5
          There's not much info in the other thread. Did you pastebin an xorg log anywhere ? The recommended mechanism for installation is to build packages for your distro then install using the package manager. Make sure you run aticonfig --initial before starting X the first time.

          Is there a BIOS option to disable the 3200 ? The option might be called something like SurroundView. AFAIK the Linux driver doesn't directly support switchable graphics systems.
          Last edited by bridgman; 07-11-2009, 07:15 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hello, I wanted to share with you my experience and ask you if you could manage to use M51Ta with linux and 3D acceleration.
            Just in case, my computer has this two graphic cards:
            01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
            02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3650
            I installed several versions of fglrx with Ubuntu but none of them worked. When I install Ubuntu 9.04 from scratch 2D acceleration was great, but no 3D. Lastly I tried radeonhd 1.3.0 and 2D works well but the computer doesn't turn off normally, I must press the button. I made some changes in xorg.conf to see if linux could recognize the HD3650 card, so I specified the PCI of the card I wanted Ubuntu to recognice (PCI 2:0:0), but it didn't work. If I specify the integrated card (PCI 1:5:0) or nothing it works fine, but of course with no 3D... Well if you manage to activate HD3650 card and have 3D working please let me know. Thanks!
            Best,

            Comment


            • #7
              You can install the fglrx driver from the U 9.10 repo, that should work. Older drivers do not work with that laptop.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kano View Post
                You can install the fglrx driver from the U 9.10 repo, that should work. Older drivers do not work with that laptop.
                Thanks, I will try that and post the result.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just to remind you: M51-Ta notebook with hybrid graphics (ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics & ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650).
                  Today I installed Ubuntu 9.10 beta, after updating I installed xorg-driver-fglrx (2:8.660-0ubuntu4) and all other dependencies which were needed but still I cannot use visual effects or use 3D programs (no 3D acceleration).
                  I think I must stay with win7 and linux under VirtualBox.....
                  Please, if someone has a clue of how to get 3D acceleration with my configuration I will appreciate.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    well did you run:
                    aticonfig --initial

                    After, check that it set the right pciID under device section in xorg.conf.

                    EDIT:
                    It should say 02:00.0 in your config.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tball View Post
                      well did you run:
                      aticonfig --initial

                      After, check that it set the right pciID under device section in xorg.conf.

                      EDIT:
                      It should say 02:00.0 in your config.
                      Hello, thanks for your comment, I will tell you exactly what I did:
                      (1) Installed from scratch Ubuntu 9.10 beta 64bits (in other partitions Ubunut 9.04 64bits & Vista 32bits)
                      (2.0) Upgraded everything that could be updated (kernel 2.6.31-14,...)
                      (2.1) Restart
                      (3) Installed xorg-driver-fglrx (2:8.660-0ubuntu4) and all other dependencies which were needed from Synaptic
                      (4.0) In terminal: "sudo aticonfig --initial -f"
                      (4.1) A xorg.conf file was created (before there was no xorg.conf) with the following text:

                      Section "ServerLayout"
                      Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
                      Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
                      EndSection

                      Section "Files"
                      EndSection

                      Section "Module"
                      EndSection

                      Section "Monitor"
                      Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
                      Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
                      Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
                      Option "DPMS" "true"
                      EndSection

                      Section "Device"
                      Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
                      Driver "fglrx"
                      BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
                      EndSection

                      Section "Screen"
                      Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
                      Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
                      Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
                      DefaultDepth 24
                      SubSection "Display"
                      Viewport 0 0
                      Depth 24
                      EndSubSection
                      EndSection

                      (4.2) Restart... XORG CRASHED!
                      (5) I tried changing in xorg.conf BusID to "PCI:2:0:0" but it always crashes...
                      (6) Finally I changed the name of xorg.conf so that it doesn't read it and now it works but, of course, no 3D acceleration
                      PLEASE HELP!

                      Shoul I install the fglrx manually?? following this guide: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
                      I don't know what else to do.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rmartinez View Post
                        Hello, thanks for your comment, I will tell you exactly what I did:
                        (1) Installed from scratch Ubuntu 9.10 beta 64bits (in other partitions Ubunut 9.04 64bits & Vista 32bits)
                        (2.0) Upgraded everything that could be updated (kernel 2.6.31-14,...)
                        (2.1) Restart
                        (3) Installed xorg-driver-fglrx (2:8.660-0ubuntu4) and all other dependencies which were needed from Synaptic
                        (4.0) In terminal: "sudo aticonfig --initial -f"
                        (4.1) A xorg.conf file was created (before there was no xorg.conf) with the following text:

                        Section "ServerLayout"
                        Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
                        Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
                        EndSection

                        Section "Files"
                        EndSection

                        Section "Module"
                        EndSection

                        Section "Monitor"
                        Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
                        Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
                        Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
                        Option "DPMS" "true"
                        EndSection

                        Section "Device"
                        Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
                        Driver "fglrx"
                        BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
                        EndSection

                        Section "Screen"
                        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
                        Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
                        Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
                        DefaultDepth 24
                        SubSection "Display"
                        Viewport 0 0
                        Depth 24
                        EndSubSection
                        EndSection

                        (4.2) Restart... XORG CRASHED!
                        (5) I tried changing in xorg.conf BusID to "PCI:2:0:0" but it always crashes...
                        (6) Finally I changed the name of xorg.conf so that it doesn't read it and now it works but, of course, no 3D acceleration
                        PLEASE HELP!

                        Shoul I install the fglrx manually?? following this guide: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
                        I don't know what else to do.
                        Maybe you should try deactivate the internal card in the bios?

                        EDIT:

                        Hmm if you can't deactivate the internal card, is there some way you can deactivate hybrid in fglrx?
                        Last edited by tball; 10-19-2009, 12:46 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tball View Post
                          Maybe you should try deactivate the internal card in the bios?

                          EDIT:

                          Hmm if you can't deactivate the internal card, is there some way you can deactivate hybrid in fglrx?
                          With the present bios 207 in this computer (ASUS M51Ta) it's impossible to activate or deactivate any of the integrated / discrete graphic cards. And if there is a way to deactivate from any other place I would be delighted to know how... May be with new kernel 2.6.32 and integrated radeonhd driver... I just have no idea.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hello, I wanted to share my frustration again with new fglrx 8.661 (ATI driver for Linux 9.10):

                            Update: fglrx 8.661 with ASUS M51Ta still not working
                            ================================================== ===

                            Details:

                            Linux: Ubuntu 9.10beta + all updates
                            Kernel: 2.6.31-14
                            fglrx: 9.10 (8.661)
                            Hybrid graphic cards:
                            01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]

                            02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3650

                            Error (in Xorg.0.log):

                            (EE) fglrx(0): Invalid video BIOS signature!
                            (EE) fglrx(0): GetBIOSParameter failed
                            (EE) fglrx(0): PreInitAdapter for slave 0 failed

                            xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/f9e7eb26
                            Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/f5f0bb023

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Latest bios used? Btw. i would NOT hardcode the device in the configfile. Put a # in front.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X