Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian testing/sid 2.6.29 HD4850

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Debian testing/sid 2.6.29 HD4850

    Hello Phoronix Forums

    I got a fresh install of debian testing, with the debian sid kernel (2.6.29) and i try to install fglrx for my HD4850, with the install-fglrx-debian.sh script.
    But i get some errors:
    pastebin.com/f72341d34
    Code:
    Doing initial module build
    Error!  Build of fglrx.ko failed for: 2.6.29-2-amd64 (x86_64)
    Consult the make.log in the build directory
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.612/build/ for more information.
    Installing initial module
    Does somebody know what to do?

    Thanks
    lord-carlos

  • #2
    Are you sure that debian fglrx install script supports 2.6.29?

    Even the fglrx 9.5 ati installer only supports 2.6.28.

    I recall prior posts about a possible patch, but supposedly it wasn't the cleanest solution. Would the debian script have this patch included?

    Comment


    • #3
      Its a script from one user of this forum. I believe kano? And as you can see in the pastebin it uses the 2.6.29 patch:
      Code:
      patching file packages/Ubuntu/dists/hardy/dkms/patches/2.6.29_support.patch

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, but my script requires that you use my kernels which have extra header files preinstalled. It does not work with other kernels. Usually those files are not in a header package, because they are not in the include dir, i just patch the ubuntu kernel packageing that those files are included too. Using that trick the used patch is relatively small (3kb vs. 63kb).
        Last edited by Kano; 06-11-2009, 01:03 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Yes, but my script requires that you use my kernels which have extra header files preinstalled. It does not work with other kernels. Usually those files are not in a header package, because they are not in the include dir, i just patch the ubuntu kernel packageing that those files are included too. Using that trick the used patch is relatively small (3kb vs. 63kb).
          Does your kernels work on a debian system? If yes, where can i get them?
          Or can i compile the kernels by myself so that i can use your script/patch.

          Or can someone give me a link to a tutorial on how to install fglrx on a 2.6.29 or 2.6.30 kernel?

          Thanks for the help so far.
          lord-carlos

          Comment


          • #6
            Of course they are tested with lenny (32 bit even on etch).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Of course they are tested with lenny (32 bit even on etch).
              Is this the right one? kanotix.com/files/kernel/deb-unused64-30/linux-libc-dev_2.6.30-9.10_amd64.deb

              Comment


              • #8
                That's only when you want to compile things like libdrm or so. Check your PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lord-carlos View Post
                  Hello Phoronix Forums

                  I got a fresh install of debian testing, with the debian sid kernel (2.6.29) and i try to install fglrx for my HD4850, with the install-fglrx-debian.sh script.
                  But i get some errors:
                  pastebin.com/f72341d34
                  Code:
                  Doing initial module build
                  Error!  Build of fglrx.ko failed for: 2.6.29-2-amd64 (x86_64)
                  Consult the make.log in the build directory
                  /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.612/build/ for more information.
                  Installing initial module
                  Does somebody know what to do?

                  Thanks
                  lord-carlos
                  Use the fglrx 9.5 package from Sid instead of manually trying to run AMD's installer. The 2.6.29/fglrx 9.5 from Sid combination has the correct patches in place to work properly and it works fine for me. The only issue with it is that it fills dmesg up with junk, but that is a known issue with no real consequence.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    fglrx package from sid does not use the "correct" patch, it just used the patch which has got the embedded header files. A much smaller patch can be used when those files are added to the linux header package. I prefer the smaller variant, therefore my script fails on pure sid.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      fglrx package from sid does not use the "correct" patch, it just used the patch which has got the embedded header files. A much smaller patch can be used when those files are added to the linux header package. I prefer the smaller variant, therefore my script fails on pure sid.
                      Sorry, I used "correct" as a way to say "working."

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X