Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.5 Driver For Linux Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by peppo View Post
    I don't know why, but -vo gl2:yuv=3 or just gl2 or gl results in horrible flicker for me, with compositing. It supposedly works for other people? How can this be?
    Only in fullscreen. KDE 4 by default uses direct rendering when switching to fullscreen. Compiz needs to be set-up for this to happen. But in a window, there's no way to get good video with compositing.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by peppo View Post
      I don't know why, but -vo gl2:yuv=3 or just gl2 or gl results in horrible flicker for me, with compositing. It supposedly works for other people? How can this be?
      If it doesn't already you need to get

      glxinfo | grep direct

      to say yes.

      I haven't got a clue how you would do that on your setup. In the past compiz + fglrx would need indirect rendering (still hw accelerated) to work, but with recent fglrx I needed direct for opengl + compiz fusion to work with -vo gl. In my case all I needed to do was comment out

      export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1

      that I had previously needed in .xinitrc to get compiz to work at all.

      Comment


      • #48
        The sad thing is that AMD/ATI is already posting driver packages for Windows 7, which is still in RC status.

        I have W7 running on a test machine (which is also sad but that's a different issue) and the package downloaded with one mouse click, Installed with three or four mouse clicks and didn't even ask me to reboot the system when it was finished installing itself.

        It just works.

        And I look at the five pages of comments that precede this one, all about the Linux driver, and it's just....well, you know.

        Comment


        • #49
          sad? why? Windows users make up 90+ of amd/ati costumers. So it is the right choice to support them as good as possible. Also Windows is a lot easier to support. There is only ONE Windows 7rc, One Vista, One Xp. Not 100+ different distributions all with different kernels, Xorg, Xfree, libc, mesa, compiler...

          Comment


          • #50
            Howdy,

            Thanks for the responses. Where do I get the 9.5 driver? When I go to ati.amd.com and when I poke the "graphic drivers" link, I get a 3 element form. I select "linux" then "firegl" and then "firegl 5200" and get this file from the resulting "download". firepro_8.583_linux_77161.zip.

            I install this and reboot and now get the "unsupported hardware" watermark on the screen.

            George...

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Kano View Post
              If you can live with errors in dmesg there is a hotfix for 2.6.29.
              Well, if it is only an error message without something serious behind it, of course it's not beautiful but I might give it a try. Where can it be obtained?
              Or wait for the free drivers to gain 3d acceleration on the newer chips. I mean I'm used to wait for all sorts of things so...

              I wonder why these release notes have a big "draft" in background and why there is said nearly nothing in them. But maybe I should fire up my akregator and see if something is in the RSS feed.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by grgoffe View Post
                Howdy,

                Thanks for the responses. Where do I get the 9.5 driver? When I go to ati.amd.com and when I poke the "graphic drivers" link, I get a 3 element form. I select "linux" then "firegl" and then "firegl 5200" and get this file from the resulting "download". firepro_8.583_linux_77161.zip.

                I install this and reboot and now get the "unsupported hardware" watermark on the screen.

                George...
                wget https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...x86.x86_64.run
                ?

                but since the 5200 is based on R500 and the support for them had been dropped, 9.5 is not for you.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Energyman,

                  Thank you for your response.

                  The version I get from their web site is that zip file I mentioned above. Either I goofed the install or it's broken. I usually save the install materials for software I install but in this case I did not. Is there an archive site somewhere?

                  Regards,

                  George...

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Does anyone know if 9-5 still requires libdrm2 v 2.3.x debian like the previous ones, or does it support the new libdrm 2.4?

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by gfxdrone View Post
                      Does anyone know if 9-5 still requires libdrm2 v 2.3.x debian like the previous ones, or does it support the new libdrm 2.4?
                      I'm on libdrm 2.4.11 and never had problems, even with previous Catalyst releases.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Well you have problems when you use Xserver 1.4 and not 1.5+.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by gfxdrone View Post
                          Does anyone know if 9-5 still requires libdrm2 v 2.3.x debian like the previous ones, or does it support the new libdrm 2.4?
                          2.4.11 here too and X server 1.6.1, no problem driver works properly with the common well known bugs

                          P.S: Well I finally found something new in the 9.5 catalyst!
                          Screen turns off correctly now when you set it from KDE's settings for powersave

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Maybe you did not understand me, when you use Xserver 1.4 then the fglrx driver is a differnt one than which is installed when you have got 1.5/1.6. And when you update libdrm on that config you run into troubles.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              I got your point Kano from the first place.
                              I just wanted to reply to our friend and mention my great bugfix discovery!

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by energyman View Post
                                sad? why? Windows users make up 90+ of amd/ati costumers. So it is the right choice to support them as good as possible. Also Windows is a lot easier to support. There is only ONE Windows 7rc, One Vista, One Xp. Not 100+ different distributions all with different kernels, Xorg, Xfree, libc, mesa, compiler...
                                Since Catalyst 9.5 still gives me a black screen but other gentoo users say 9.5 runs fine, I do think maybe my system have some package different than others. So I agree your saying, supporting Linux is tough...

                                Can ATI post recommended package version list for each driver in the future so that we have a better chance to avoid troubles?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X