No announcement yet.

catalyst 9.5 seems to be out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tearing is there. Thing is, it's visible with radeon and fglrx. It's not like "OMG, all I see is lines!!!", but a more subtle tearing (a big horizontal line across the screen every now and then). It's not as bad as most people say, but it is there and it can get annoying at times (specially if all you do is watch fullscreen movies).

Comment

I can see that line in GAMES. Sometimes. But I also saw it with nvidia.

But movies? Nope.

Comment

Well couldn't wait and tried the driver on my 2nd pc as well (the problem case... dual-head, tv-out, crossfire, you get it).

It seems to be the best release for me since a long time:

- While using 9.4 somehow X didn't make use of my complete screen on my main window (while the background was stretched over the complete window, the panels and full size windows only covered part of it). This problem is gone with 9.5.

- With 9.4 (and also on earlier occasions) I had corruption on some of my dvd's. Really bad corruption, as in 30 x 30 pixel blocks of different colors. Really strange problem, it was even the case that one Heroes episode on a certain dvd didn't work, while the other on the same dvd did work. The Heroes dvd I tested showed the heavy corruption in the menu, but the episodes worked fine.

- This is the first ever driver for me that allows me to use a dual-head configuration that works properly and that allows me as well to enable desktop effects. Any other driver before let the pc crash (only option was reset) or dual-head didn't work properly at all.

- While I was happy everything worked, I couldn't resist and try to enable Hybrid crossfire (HD3450 and onboard HD3200). And guess what, it worked as well!

As it looks now, I'm happy. I hope the rest of my heroes dvd's turn out watchable as well and I'm good for another month (or perhaps a few months if in the following drivers some regressions show up again).

Keep up the good work AMD/Ati! One day you'll get there (although hiring a few more driver devs to speed things up shouldn't hurt either I guess ).

Comment

For games you can enable vsync. But xv needs that by default. Maybe your card is fast enough that it does not show that extreme. My testcard is a 3450 only and there it is so annoying that you switch very fast to to oss driver, there you can at least enjoy a dvd. Maybe it does not happen with every Xserver, i mainly only use Xserver 1.4.2 (Debian 5.0 default).

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            I can see that line in GAMES. Sometimes. But I also saw it with nvidia.

But movies? Nope.
            OK, if you can't see tearing even in this one:

http://foss.math.aegean.gr/~realnc/vids/3DMark2000.mkv

then I'm officially declaring you blind :P It's a 60FPS video with fast motions. In this one, tearing is ALL I can see... Please tell me you see it...

PS:
            And then watch it in Windows to also see the difference in smoothness. Windows: smooth as silk. Linux: jerky and tearing.

PPS:
            Also, in Linux with Xv the colors are wrong. Black turns to gray and it appears "washed out."

PPPS: (lol)
            Also, in Linux with Xv the aspect ratio is wrong. It looks stretched.

Not bad for day's work. Nice drivers :P
            Last edited by RealNC; 05-15-2009, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I don't have windows. I am windows free since 1999

Comment

ok, this time I saw something in the first and the fourth scene (and I did not bother to watch the rest). But I am not sure that the distortion is caused by the playback and is not part of the material

Comment

ok, this time I saw something in the first and the fourth scene (and I did not bother to watch the rest). But I am not sure that the distortion is caused by the playback and is not part of the material
                  Doesn't tear on a nv card so it can't be the material.

Comment

It is not part of the material. Disable Desktop Effects (compositing), use the gl2 (yuv) renderer of mplayer instead of Xv, enable VSync in Catalyst Control Center, and try again. Then, and only then, will the video play as it should.

For my eyes, Xv is almost useless in Catalyst right now.

Comment

@RealNC

You example video even shows extreme tearing with the oss driver in the upper area which is usually black with 16:9 movie...
                      Last edited by Kano; 05-15-2009, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah, it's the video I usually stick to someone's face when they say "there's no tearing" :P

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                          Yeah, it's the video I usually stick to someone's face when they say "there's no tearing" :P
                          Heh, good choice.

Comment

My main machine has a hd4850. Jaunty with the latest fglrx. My monitor is only 60Hz, so maybe it's because the card is too fast? As I said, happens with both fglrx and radeon. And to tell the truth, even X11 output has tearing, so I doubt it's just the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                              My main machine has a hd4850. Jaunty with the latest fglrx. My monitor is only 60Hz, so maybe it's because the card is too fast?
                              Doesn't work that way, or else videos would playback faster. I'm sure a video I watch here that is, say, 30 minutes long, is also 30 minutes long on your PC. 25 FPS here, 25 FPS there, and everywhere else. How fast the card is doesn't matter. The fact that your monitor runs at 60Hz doesn't mean anything (the video I linked to is a 60FPS video. Since your monitor runs at 60Hz, it's in perfect sync. But, it tears like crazy anyway.) Tearing is the result of the card not waiting for the monitor to get ready before sending it the next frame, resulting in the monitor displaying two frames at the same time, and a "line" is manifesting between those two frames. Some people are able to strongly perceive that line; to those people, it's very annoying. Some lucky ones don't notice it, it seems.

As I said, happens with both fglrx and radeon. And to tell the truth, even X11 output has tearing, so I doubt it's just the drivers.
                              X11 output is *supposed* to have tearing. There's no way to V-Sync it. Xv is not supposed to tear since the driver *should* V-Sync it. But with ATI, well guess; no V-Sync, hence: tearing.
                              Last edited by RealNC; 05-16-2009, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Using Catalyst 9.5 now, stock Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) AMD64, HD4770. Fixed my low res textures in Quake 4 issue, was config file options. See this thread for details.

Compiz seems smoother than with Catalyst 9.4, and of course the "Unsupported hardware" overlay is gone. Alpha blur still doesn't work (apparently it never has, according to another member here .. as if, ATI devs, come on ). Compiz's burn (fire) window close effect is really slow when in Expo mode, however is fine when viewing a normal desktop. Good way to test this is just open a terminal, run "sleep 5s ; exit", then go out into Expo and wait for the window to close itself (obviously need to set your window close effect to burn). This was never an issue with my 7900GT and nVidia drivers.

Sauerbraten (recent release in 2009) has a texture corruption issue (or something?) where enemies' fireballs look corrupted until they get close, same with health pickups and other items. Same issue occurs in the display settings menu (didn't occur with Catalyst 9.4)

Nexuiz 2.5.1 appears to work fine.

Scorched3D 42.1 appears to work fine (windowed, under Metacity).

Playing a video (the one RealNC uses to test for tearing) under VLC with GLX output is perfectly smooth (with Metacity as WM, no compositing), until I drag another window over the top of the GLX output.. stutter deluxe. I don't recall this being an issue on my 7900GT either.

Hmm, yep, nVidia's binary drivers seem to be A++. Definitely, "The way it's meant to be played"
                                Last edited by lem79; 05-16-2009, 12:59 AM. Reason: edit: Add notes about compiz and slow window burn in expo.

Comment

Working...
                                X