Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alt-tabbing & maximize/unmaximize became slow in Ubuntu 9.04/fglrx 9-4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    You misunderstood RealNC: he stated that the issue also occured with Xorg 1.5 (which is true) and that Ubuntu probably patched Xorg 1.5 to avoid this issue (which is also true).
    I tried to find this patch but I failed to do so. BlackStar, can you please point me to the patch or to some launchpad bug report or other location where the issue is discussed? I would like to try to port the patch because the delay is very disturbing to my.

    Best regards and thank you

    Matt

    Comment


    • #17
      This is my experience:

      - With intrepid and fglrx < 9.3, I got some issues with maximizing being slow and slow resizing. (Yakuake beeing slow when hitting F12)
      - With intrepid and fglrx > 9.3 worked flawlessly. With okay snappy resizing and no delay on maximizing windows.

      --------------------

      - Jaunty with the latest driver from ati, fglrx 9.4... Again slow when maximizing. Yakuake is slow again (under compiz). Resizing is choppy with compiz.



      ||
      V

      Why is the choppyness going away from 9.2 to 9.3 under intrepid? Why is it introduced again under Jaunty?

      Comment


      • #18
        I am also experiencing this issue. Minimizing/maximizing windows is very annoying. Loading an application that opens more than one window at a time makes the system completely unresponsive for several seconds. EG: Connecting to a BNC in xchat that spawns 6 or 7 channel windows after it connects will take ~15 seconds to completely display all channel windows on the screen. During that time, the computer is completely unresponsive. This seems like a critical bug for me.

        Disabling Compiz makes everything snappy again. At least it does on my system.

        Comment


        • #19
          This bug now appearing on Ubuntu is a good thing. It means AMD/ATI will be forced to actually notice the bug and deal with it since many people are on Ubuntu

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by tball View Post
            This is my experience:

            - With intrepid and fglrx < 9.3, I got some issues with maximizing being slow and slow resizing. (Yakuake beeing slow when hitting F12)
            - With intrepid and fglrx > 9.3 worked flawlessly. With okay snappy resizing and no delay on maximizing windows.

            --------------------

            - Jaunty with the latest driver from ati, fglrx 9.4... Again slow when maximizing. Yakuake is slow again (under compiz). Resizing is choppy with compiz.



            ||
            V

            Why is the choppyness going away from 9.2 to 9.3 under intrepid? Why is it introduced again under Jaunty?
            Maybe fglrx has issues with xserver 1.6? It would make sense seeing as the problems were not as serious under the previous Ubuntu. However, the fact that even other drivers are having similar issues under the same circumstances leads me to think that the source of the problem is not on the drivers themselves (or at least, not entirely).
            Composite never performed that well to begin with, except under nvidia (usually), and we all know what nvidia does with their drivers.

            Comment


            • #21
              Has anyone noticed if the problem delay also appears with the open source drivers ?

              Comment


              • #22
                200M with Jaunty 32bit. Maximizing/unmaximizing has that curious 1-2 second delay. However, minimizing to the panel and restoring has no issues, and neither does manual window resizing (both of which are painfully slow with fglrx).

                Comment


                • #23
                  OK, thanks. Looks like I need to upgrade to Jaunty then; I was going to go straight to F11 for KMS/GEM/TTM/DRI2...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Do you also have a ~ 1.5 sek delay when open the kde menu? And this delay is when compiz is turned off.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      KDE4 is just horribly slow. On my laptop's 200M it's just murder (slow menu response, slow window transformation, slow window move). Both fglrx and open source drivers are slow, composite effects or not. When I had Intrepid on the laptop both fglrx and the open driver had similar performance (slow to acceptable). On Jaunty I can only use the open drivers for the 200M; overall performance seems to be slightly worse compared to Intrepid. Incidentally, on the 200M Gnome and Compiz run much better with the "Extra" effect preset than KDE4 with minimal effects (or no effects for that matter).

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        OK, I just updated to Ubuntu Jaunty, running the built-in open source drivers. Predictably, it runs fine, no apparent delays, although I'm running fairly fast hardware (RV570 aka X1950 Pro, quad-core Phenom, 4GB) so maybe that's a factor.

                        Is the current thinking that these delays are primarily seen with KDE, ie is my standard Ubuntu (Gnome) desktop not going to cut it ?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          At the moment I only have my laptop's 200M to test the open drivers on. Generally, Ubuntu Jaunty is very responsive, and as I wrote earlier, even with Compiz on "extra" everything remains fluid. Only thing that's noticeable is that odd 2 second pause/delay when maximizing/unmaximizing windows (which is also present on my HD4850 with the latest fglrx).
                          Kubuntu is just slow all around with this same chip, effects on or not. Window minimizing, maximizing, restoring, moving, and even that delay when opening the menu. This same chip runs KDE3.5 just fine so it's odd that it crawls with KDE4, given how everyone goes on about KDE4 being more efficient on resources (which at least the memory footprint seems to indicate).

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                            At the moment I only have my laptop's 200M to test the open drivers on. Generally, Ubuntu Jaunty is very responsive, and as I wrote earlier, even with Compiz on "extra" everything remains fluid. Only thing that's noticeable is that odd 2 second pause/delay when maximizing/unmaximizing windows (which is also present on my HD4850 with the latest fglrx).
                            Kubuntu is just slow all around with this same chip, effects on or not. Window minimizing, maximizing, restoring, moving, and even that delay when opening the menu. This same chip runs KDE3.5 just fine so it's odd that it crawls with KDE4, given how everyone goes on about KDE4 being more efficient on resources (which at least the memory footprint seems to indicate).
                            Its not kde4's fault. Just tried fedora 11 with kde4 and open source drivers. Runs very very fast! Instantly maximizing windows and no delay when open the kmenu.

                            It must be something with fglrx or jaunty specific.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                              OK, I just updated to Ubuntu Jaunty, running the built-in open source drivers. Predictably, it runs fine, no apparent delays, although I'm running fairly fast hardware (RV570 aka X1950 Pro, quad-core Phenom, 4GB) so maybe that's a factor.

                              Is the current thinking that these delays are primarily seen with KDE, ie is my standard Ubuntu (Gnome) desktop not going to cut it ?
                              No, GNOME/compiz is what I run, and I see the delay there.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                                You misunderstood RealNC: he stated that the issue also occured with Xorg 1.5 (which is true) and that Ubuntu probably patched Xorg 1.5 to avoid this issue (which is also true). Distributions with unpatched Xorg 1.5 also displayed the delay issue you are seeing now (e.g. ArchLinux).

                                The fact is that Ubuntu dropped these patches on Jaunty, because they caused problems with KDE. They also flashed harmless noise on Gnome whenever you restored a window, but few people cared about that.

                                This is a driver issue, fair and square. It should be fixed in fglrx, not worked-around with hacks that display garbage on window resize / restore.
                                Hi. Where can I find this patches? Some links?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X