No announcement yet.

Final 9-4 catalyst will come Today!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but fglrx will never run with oss kernel modules! therefore they are blocking eachother!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      but fglrx will never run with oss kernel modules! therefore they are blocking eachother!
      in the future Catalyst is no more a driver..

only a OpenGL speed up extansion plugget in the radeon(hd) driver...

Comment

Any official statement or your idea? I don't think that will ever happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
          only a OpenGL speed up extansion plugget in the radeon(hd) driver...
          I dont think so. bridgman has sayed this will never happen becuase this is to easy for reverse engeneering.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            I dont think so. bridgman has sayed this will never happen becuase this is to easy for reverse engeneering.
            the linux kernel hackers work for an reverse-engeneering part in kernel to crack the nvidia driver...

today its to easy in the future the catalyst/nvidiadriver will be DOOMET!

in the end the Opensource driver will WIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Sure, but that's just saying "one driver per GPU", isn't it ? Worst case if you want to run with a user modesetting driver you just boot the kernel with "nomodeset" and you get current behavior, where drm doesn't load unless requested by the X driver, but I expect we can work out something more civilized than that.

Comment

the linux kernel hackers work for an reverse-engeneering part in kernel to crack the nvidia driver...
                This totaly different. If AMD only provide and small binar blob its much easyer and indirect help AMD to reverse engenier the driver.
                Nvidia has one big blob this is much harder.

in the end the Opensource driver will WIN!
                If we have enough devs maybe. but the current drivers need more as only 2D and 3D and a little bit Xv.

Today the user want Crossfire, HybridCrossfire, PowerSaving, Two Displays, GPGPU, AA, .....

We are Currently far away from that.
                Last edited by Nille; 04-22-2009, 01:11 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nille;71289]

This totaly different. If AMD only provide and small binar blob its much easyer and indirect help AMD to reverse engenier the driver.
                  Nvidia has one big blob this is much harder.

If we have enough devs maybe. but the current drivers need more as only 2D and 3D and a little bit Xv.

Today the user want Crossfire, HybridCrossfire, PowerSaving, Two Displays, GPGPU, AA, .....

We are Currently far away from that.

i go from 9-4 catalyst to the opensource driver becourse the open one is better!

I and a lot of people do not want Crossfire! and I and a lot of people do not want hybried Crossfire!

Powersaving is Pointless becourse tests shows that the opensource driver consume less power than the catalyst!

ok Two Displays are nice! .. but i only use 1 display!

GPGPU Yes OpenCL will be nice! ..

AA Antialiasing ? ? ? not realy! in my resution 1920X1200 i can't see any pixel... so AA is Pointless!

"We are Currently far away from that."

realy the catalyst is broken by desine! i chance from 9-4 to opensource one becourse of "Blackscreen"

not beta 9-4 one .. the final one..

install... restart.. all fine all works... restart again --> Blackscreen..

Radeon opensource driver works perfekt!

Comment

i go from 9-4 catalyst to the opensource driver becourse the open one is better!

I and a lot of people do not want Crossfire! and I and a lot of people do not want hybried Crossfire!

Powersaving is Pointless becourse tests shows that the opensource driver consume less power than the catalyst!

ok Two Displays are nice! .. but i only use 1 display!

GPGPU Yes OpenCL will be nice! ..

AA Antialiasing ? ? ? not realy! in my resution 1920X1200 i can't see any pixel... so AA is Pointless!

"We are Currently far away from that."

realy the catalyst is broken by desine! i chance from 9-4 to opensource one becourse of "Blackscreen"

not beta 9-4 one .. the final one..

install... restart.. all fine all works... restart again --> Blackscreen..

Radeon opensource driver works perfekt!
                    Just because YOU don't need these things that doesn't mean it's useless.
                    Not everyone has a monitor that can display resolutions higher that 1280x1024. And not everyone wants to spend 200$ on a brand new video card just to get the performance of an 80$ one.
                    On the other hand, there are enough people who do need more than more monitors, be it just for fun or because one can structure his work much easier with that. There are enough people for which Catalyst works out of the box without any flaws. There are also people who profit by OpenCL, as there are already enough people using CUDA for otherwise CPU intensive tasks.
                    So.. In conclusion it's quite pointless to compare the power consumption of radeon and fglrx, the radeon devs stated that they don't even use some parts of the graphics chip. If they don't use it, how can they even consume power?

EDIT, OT: Automatic quoting is broken...
                    Last edited by NeoBrain; 04-22-2009, 06:14 AM.

Comment

speaking with aphasic people sometimes is much simpler than reading this forum: sorry to point someone in particular, but dear Qaridarium it's much difficult to read your posts. I know you will understand I don't want to hurt you.

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                        it's much difficult
                        Fail.

OT: Well, an opensource <-> fglrx switcher that works on the fly would be quite interested, but I don't believe it until I see it. It surely wouldn't be before next year anyway, and even if it was possible, chances are that developers aren't even interested (either on the opensource or on the fglrx side).

Comment

Working...
                        X