Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
    do you really believe it?

I'm sure they won't. That driver is targeted for older distros, so in their policy there's no problem in leaving it without kernel 2.6.29 support.
    hmmm. I'm getting tired of feeling like I'm hijacked by a corporation who does not want to release the information required so open source programers can solve all these problems?

Maybe AMD is "a bit" more cooperative with linux than nvidia? don't know.
    I wish there is an alternative to this dicotomy so we can chose the best support for linux. Are intel chips or VIA chips (or who knows any other?) becoming competitive?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxei View Post
      hmmm. I'm getting tired of feeling like I'm hijacked by a corporation who does not want to release the information required so open source programers can solve all these problems?

Maybe AMD is "a bit" more cooperative with linux than nvidia? don't know.
      I wish there is an alternative to this dicotomy so we can chose the best support for linux. Are intel chips or VIA chips (or who knows any other?) becoming competitive?
      Where have you been the last half a year :-) AMD has released their specs for every single gpu. They are also very far writing the drivers, with paid programmers.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
        Where have you been the last half a year :-) AMD has released their specs for every single gpu. They are also very far writing the drivers, with paid programmers.
        LOL tball, where do you think I've been? I have been wasting my time looking for solutions to solve my issues with the ati graphics card; I've spending countles hours (like other users) been reading posts complaining of all kinds of problems related with lack of hardware support; I've been spending my time trying to make my ATI card to work with those SOB fglrx drivers.
        It is funny to find people claim that AMD is the "nice" guy. Probably you work for them? what did I say that pissed you off? looks like you havent realized that perhaps 90% or more of the posts in Phoronix are related to graphics card problems? LOL
        Now, are you an open source programmer? as far as I know, what AMD has released is limited information in some obscure specs. If that info was enough, the open source drivers would have been much better than the catalysts. But instead, the ati and radeon and even the radeonhd or mesa drivers are partially useful for the new chips, or lack of lustre and support in several features. Why? I believe it's because open source programers don't have the pertinent information IMO.
        Are there any bonna fide open source programers around? Did you check the specs released by AMD? Are they enough for you? Or as usual. they release obfuscated, limited information, because they are affraid the competition will steal their "secrets"?
        Otherwise, tball, nice try.

Comment

Dude, what are you talking about. The necessary docs. are there, it's just that, you know, a driver needs to be built. The reason the open source drivers are lacking features has more to do with the fact that the whole Linux graphics infrastructure is not that advanced and/or moves slowly. However, recently that situation has been changing and a lot of work has gone in.
          By the way, most people that post in this forum are seeking help. Of course you're going to see a lot of threads about problems relating to drivers and hardware in general. What's more, there are a lot of ATI users here that are seeking help for their issues.

Comment

Probably you work for them?
            tball doesn't work for AMD (at least I don't think so ) but I do.

Now, are you an open source programmer? as far as I know, what AMD has released is limited information in some obscure specs. If that info was enough, the open source drivers would have been much better than the catalysts.
            I don't understand your comment here. Why do you think the open source drivers would automatically be much better than the Catalyst drivers ?

Have you read the 5xx Acceleration guide (at http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/ , look at the v1.3 pdf) ? You should take a quick look through it just to get an idea of what is out in public already. That doc has been out for over a year.

But instead, the ati and radeon and even the radeonhd or mesa drivers are partially useful for the new chips, or lack of lustre and support in several features. Why? I believe it's because open source programers don't have the pertinent information IMO.
            The information is out there today, with the exception of docs for 6xx/7xx power management (which we're working on). Alex has written an additional "6xx/7xx 3d overview" document to help new developers get started with the latest generation of GPUs, and that doc is still in the final stages of IP review, but the most of the active developers have already seen earlier versions of the doc under NDA. The register spec portion of the doc has been out for months, along with sample code.

There is already working code in the open source drivers using the 6xx/7xx 3D engine (both EXA and Xv code use the 3D engine), plus a working demo showing how to perform 3D drawing ops (r600_demo). Our developers are also writing an initial 3D implementation using that same information.

We haven't released docs on using the Crossfire compositor yet but the open source 3d stack is probably a year away from being able to make use of something like that.

There are some blocks related to video acceleration which we may not be able to open up because that information might make it too easy to break the DRM implementations on other OSes, but the Catalyst driver isn't using those blocks today either.
            Last edited by bridgman; 04-10-2009, 02:03 PM.

Comment

LOL tball, where do you think I've been? I have been wasting my time looking for solutions to solve my issues with the ati graphics card; I've spending countles hours (like other users) been reading posts complaining of all kinds of problems related with lack of hardware support; I've been spending my time trying to make my ATI card to work with those SOB fglrx drivers.
              It is funny to find people claim that AMD is the "nice" guy. Probably you work for them? what did I say that pissed you off? looks like you havent realized that perhaps 90% or more of the posts in Phoronix are related to graphics card problems? LOL
              Now, are you an open source programmer? as far as I know, what AMD has released is limited information in some obscure specs. If that info was enough, the open source drivers would have been much better than the catalysts. But instead, the ati and radeon and even the radeonhd or mesa drivers are partially useful for the new chips, or lack of lustre and support in several features. Why? I believe it's because open source programers don't have the pertinent information IMO.
              Are there any bonna fide open source programers around? Did you check the specs released by AMD? Are they enough for you? Or as usual. they release obfuscated, limited information, because they are affraid the competition will steal their "secrets"?
              Otherwise, tball, nice try.
              Sorry if I pissed you off. Really I didn't wan't to. No I don't work for amd, and I am sorry if I misunderstood you or visa versa. What I said wan't meant that hard. I just got the impression you didn't know of the opensource drivers, but obvious you do.

Comment

looks like you havent realized that perhaps 90% or more of the posts in Phoronix are related to graphics card problems? LOL
                And much more ppl dont post in the forum because they dont has problems.

Comment

this s irrelevant news for 80% of ati linux customers.

i hope the driver erases your all of your partitions. (this actually has a fair chance of happening !!) beware.

Comment

Iam not able to judge if the fglrx is bad coded or if the Linux department of ATI just lacks of manpower, but i have the compasrsion between NvidiaLinux driver and AMDLinux driver at my home,since all of my Machines running Linux.

And there is a clear winner, guess who it is:-)

Every new fglrx release breaks something new , its really funny:-)
                    Dual Head support is a matter of luck^^
                    2D performance is sometimes very poor
                    AIGLX support needed a lot longer then on Intel or nvidia, and its still laggy, and buggy.

Well iam still buying ATI since i use Windows,for gaming, too(no real probs with win catalyst,at least not for me) and ATI Cards mostly have a better "FPS per Euro" rate.

Well ok there is more good stuff like providing Ifnormation for making OSS driver( remember they did this before until they come with there own linux driver, maybe it wont last long:-)

3D perfomance except of AIGLX related things is good

NVidiaLinuxdriver has some issues too

And its good to see that ATI finally decided to talk with the "tortured" customer running ATI on Linux, they should have done this fromm the beginning , like NVIDIA did.

And finally Bridgeman is a very helpfull guy.

I know this post is Offtopic, bit its just that i sometimes trolling about Atilinux driver like Maxei did.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Well even if 9-5 would "solve" it, then ati should provide an official patch for 9-3 for use with legacy hardware.
                      i think this old hardware is not good for the catalyst!

the specs of the old hardware are out now the people sould help there own ..

Comment

Throwing mud in peoples faces isn't really the best way to get them working for you.

Giving them positive reactions works much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                          The reason the open source drivers are lacking features has more to do with the fact that the whole Linux graphics infrastructure is not that advanced and/or moves slowly. However, recently that situation has been changing and a lot of work has gone in.
                          I agree with that.

If some people will try the current fedora rawhide test release they will probably be surprised how much of this is true.

Comment

Driver seems to be out now:
                            http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...x86.x86_64.run
                            And here the release notes:
                            http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catalyst_94_linux.pdf
                            Last edited by Ren Höek; 04-17-2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

yeah, it is - I downloaded it just a second ago using the akmai link - not the website. Welll done, amd!
                              Last edited by energyman; 04-17-2009, 11:25 AM.

Comment

And I just tested it and I am really impressed! Performance problem with vegastrike-svn and Ataraxia Fighterbase: gone!
                                With AR-17 jump point and asteroid field - a lot less severe (and partially gone - if the jump point is not visible, fps are back to normal. KDE 4.2.69+effects:
                                tvtime CPU load for X is down a bit.
                                changing windows size without showing content: lag free
                                changing windows size while showing content: still slow, but a bit better.

Very, very impressed.

Comment

Working...
                                X