No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Display Library For Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually that's a great example. The first bullet point talks about limitations on what you can do with the RE'ed information :

it applies only to the reproduction and adaptation rights. Significantly, it does not apply to communication to the public, which means that further distribution of the code may be restricted;
    The law doesn't actually say that it's "open season" for reverse engineering, just that specific rights (like the one you linked to) can not be over-ridden by a EULA. The wording there is a bit confusing; it says "a provision .. that states that the licensee has NO right to reverse engineer the product is invalid", but it doesn't make it clear that rather than having NO rights you have SPECIFIC, LIMITED rights (as opposed to complete freedom) :

Section 47D (and the other computer-related exceptions in the Copyright Act) are protected from exclusion by contract in s 47H.
    Laws like this strike a pretty good balance between the rights of individual users and the rights of the companies which spent money to develop the technology.
    Last edited by bridgman; 03-18-2009, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Call me ignorant, but does this mean I'd be able to check the temperature of my ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 Integrated card (RS485)? I've never been able to do so with catalyst drivers or others. That would be awesome if I could.

Comment

It's like the old joke about the guy about to undergo surgery on his hand...

Patient : "Doctor, after the operation will I be able to play the piano ?"

Doctor : "I don't see why not"

Patient : "Great, I always wanted to be able to play the piano"

If the Windows Catalyst drivers let you read the temperature then there's a pretty good chance you'll be able to do it with ADL under Linux. If the Windows drivers can't do it either, then I doubt ADL will help.

Comment

hm, btw, is there a list of the aticonfig --pplib-cmd "" commands?
          because fan control is available today - just not nicely

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            hm, btw, is there a list of the aticonfig --pplib-cmd "" commands?
            because fan control is available today - just not nicely
            For the record, only interfaces that are documented in some form or another or are directly accessible to the user (CCC-LE, aticonfig --help, now ADL documentation) should be considered stable for a particular ASIC.

Undocumented interfaces found by users are undocumented for a reason, they primarily support internal development and test, and are not intended for end-user use.

By all means use them, play with them and have fun. But be aware that we may change them, or we may remove it altogether based on internal criteria.

Comment

yeah, but it still would be nice to have a complete list even if it is prone to change.
              Stuff like aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get fanspeed 0" is just so usefull.

Comment

Well...

I tried the API today, but got strange behaviors, like ADL_Adapter_NumberOfAdapters_Get giving me 2 adapters instead of 1 and ADL_Overdrive5_Temperature_Get giving 134514537 as the temperature in milidegrees Celsius, while the current temperature is 43.50 degrees Celsius according to aticonfig --odgt. Thought it could be my mistake in the code, but I got the same value (2 intead of 1) for ADL_Adapter_NumberOfAdapters_Get in the Sample/main.c example that comes with the ADL_SDK.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  It's like the old joke about the guy about to undergo surgery on his hand...

Patient : "Doctor, after the operation will I be able to play the piano ?"

Doctor : "I don't see why not"

Patient : "Great, I always wanted to be able to play the piano"

If the Windows Catalyst drivers let you read the temperature then there's a pretty good chance you'll be able to do it with ADL under Linux. If the Windows drivers can't do it either, then I doubt ADL will help.
                  About 8 years ago, I had made a simple voxel engine. When I showed it to the lecturer at uni, he told me it was obsolete. Voxels are rubbish and apparently my effort was a waste of time. If I had not listened to him and kept going with my creation. Right now I would be light years ahead of everyone else. Maybe even JC himself. I don't doubt it for a second.

But here I am now. Watching the caravan pass by...

Comment

Working...
                  X