Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Legacy Driver Will Not Support X Server 1.6

Phoronix: AMD's Legacy Driver Will Not Support X Server 1.6

Early this morning we shared that AMD is dropping R300 through R500 support in the Catalyst driver. Beginning with the Catalyst 9.4 release, the Windows and Linux drivers will only support the R600 and R700 series (and eventually, R800) of ATI Radeon graphics processors...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzExOQ

Comment

well thats kind of "not good"
      have fun ranting!

Comment

They gave us documentation, they gave us Free code.
        Now they're seeing if we can stand on our own feet.
        ..We can.

More than nVidia ever did for us; Quit yer yappin'

Look at it this way: AMD just officially gave the Free ATi gpu drivers millions upon millions of testers and bug reporters, and probably many more developers than they themselves could employ for the cause. The actions they've taken, in the order they've taken them in, is excellent; How many resources would you prefer them waste in their phased open source driver transition? Just keep the documentation coming. When we all switch to Gallium3d, the performance deltas will disintegrate.
        Last edited by ethana2; 03-05-2009, 07:24 PM.

Comment

great argument.

If Linus decided to kill Linux, think of all the free testers BSD and open solaris would get!!!!

STUPID argument

Comment

Linux is Free.
            Catalyst is not.

Different argument.

Comment

it's perfectly valid.
              you're claiming that it's a good thing that they leave paying customer in the cold because it will ensure that they (by being forced to) test the OSS driver.

paying customers shouldn't really be forced.

and, to sum up ATI driver development really well. (and, according to you,)
              it will mean that LATER the OSS driver will get better.

yup, with ATI it's always LATER.
              so, for the first year the driver is worse, but LATER it might be good.

I'm not sure about you, but i live in the present

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                Present eh?, when did you buy your old card? You've had the support you paid for so get over it.
                In fact, you should be grateful, that you get a lifeline of continued support in the open drivers,
                which is more than you'd ever get from nvidia where their legacy drivers get updated rarely.
                Last edited by poofyyoda; 03-05-2009, 08:25 PM.

Comment

How many lines of hard code does a driver need to have, in order to function with a new xorg? Or does it depend on the xorg release itself?

Comment

it's perfectly valid.
                    you're claiming that it's a good thing that they leave paying customer in the cold because it will ensure that they (by being forced to) test the OSS driver.

If you don't upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 this spring, I'm going to bust a cap up in here. ..but yeah, I do get what you mean.

That's great! OS X will have LLVM optimized gpu drivers, kernel mode setting, a heavily engineered GUI, unix certification, and an extensive library of native, polished, and powerful software, like, yesterday! (although really, if Snow Leopard doesn't pack a system app store before gnome-apps-add allows you to buy commercial software, someone is going to get owned)

I only dabble in the present; I live in the future.
                    Last edited by ethana2; 03-05-2009, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                      they gave us documentation, they gave us free code.
                      Now they're seeing if we can stand on our own feet.
                      ..we can.

More than nvidia ever did for us; quit yer yappin'

look at it this way: Amd just officially gave the free ati gpu drivers millions upon millions of testers and bug reporters, and probably many more developers than they themselves could employ for the cause. The actions they've taken, in the order they've taken them in, is excellent; how many resources would you prefer them waste in their phased open source driver transition? Just keep the documentation coming. When we all switch to gallium3d, the performance deltas will disintegrate.
                      yes we can :-)

Comment

Worked on a radeon 2000 GPU tonight. It's a complete waste of silicon and using it for even web browsing is not a good thing. I'm thinking with the proliferation of HD 4350 cards for 40 bucks and HD 4550 cards for 50 bucks this is a real NON ISSUE.

Now if they are going to dump the 3200 IGPU then they need to rethink that cause it's actually useful for few things. But if you have a slot even a PCI slot you need to put something besides 1000 igpu video in the machine. They should probably consider dumping support for 2000 because shader 3.0 cards of any sort will be useless in the future.
                        Last edited by Hephasteus; 03-05-2009, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Hardware: ATi ~ Nvidia
                          Software: Nvidia >> ATi

Comment

In only 1 day AMD wants the world to know how much they suck.
                            I must give them my compliments. There is also 0 reasons for not updating the legacy driver especially considering that the open source driver is FAR, and I sad FAR, from complete. NVIDIA once again beats AMD 10 times.

And I can finally feel in a Michael's AMD article a certain disappointment.

Comment

I seem to remember you asking, on this very site, for someone to kill the fglrx driver as a favour to humanity

Other than 3D support (which a bunch of devs are working on now) where do you see the open source driver being deficient ?
                              Last edited by bridgman; 03-05-2009, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X