Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalyst 9.2 Released, Still Fails To Deliver XvBA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    best part of the 9-2 catalyst is it works!

    overall it works for me...

    infobash -v3
    Host/Kernel/OS "ass" running Linux 2.6.28-6-generic i686 [ sidux 2008-04 Πόντος - kde-lite - (200812222321) ]
    CPU Info (1) AMD Engineering Sample 1024 KB cache flags( sse3 nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 2600.000 MHz ]
    (2) AMD Engineering Sample 1024 KB cache flags( sse3 nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 2600.000 MHz ]
    (3) Dual-Core AMD Opteron 8218 1024 KB cache flags( sse3 nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 1000.000 MHz ]
    (4) Dual-Core AMD Opteron 8218 1024 KB cache flags( sse3 nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 1000.000 MHz ]
    Videocard ATI RV710 [Radeon HD 4350] X.Org 1.4.2 [ 1920x1200@60.0hz ]
    Network cards 2x Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
    Processes 149 | Uptime 2:54 | Memory 394.2/3276.9MB | HDD ATA SAMSUNG SP2014N,ATA SAMSUNG HD103UJ Size 1200GB (92%used) | GLX Renderer ATI Radeon HD 4350 | GLX Version 2.1.8494 Release | Client Shell | Infobash v3.05


    wine 1.1.15 and cat 9-2 has nice looking @ the aquamark3 benchmark first timt for me that a see aquamark on wine looks like on windows XP i think its looks better.

    3dmark03 is broken by a wine bug (not cat bug) on wine 1.1.15 for me so i can't test this..

    sauerbraten runs fast :-)

    for me and for the future 9-3 beta has XvBA lib's so i can't unterstand why AMD don't drop 9-2 (8.582) and jump direktly to 8.592 (9-3beta)...

    Yes Yes I'm not the AMD release manager..

    Comment


    • #17
      I guess there's still no tear-free Xv with the 780g igp. I switched the mainboard to one with an 8200 nvidia igp a few weeks back, when they fixed the 2D sloooooowness with the new driver. Now I've got accelerated HD video playback with zero cpu usage in contrast to not being able to watch HD content at all, because I had to use opengl for video playback before, which was using so much cpu-time even on SD content
      Last edited by falloutboy; 02-20-2009, 09:51 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Oyvind, how would you summarize the performance difference :

        - cpu util is higher so maxed out there ?

        - seems like GPU is maxed out; gets slower as I drag the window bigger ?

        - seems like something else is slow; CPU not maxed and speed doesn't change when playback window is bigger/smaller ?

        My guess is that the problem is more to do with your GPU being relatively small more than its age. AFAIK your X1400 is what we call an RV515 with 4 pixel shaders. The new fglrx video stack probably does more complex video processing than the code in the open source driver (to get better video quality) and the result is that the GPU is maxing out sooner. The corresponding GPU in the 6xx family has roughly 2x the shader power, and the corresponding 7xx has more than 4x.

        I'm not sure if there are any options in aticonfig or cccle for disabling video quality options but it would be worth checking.
        Thanks for the reply, here are some observations:
        * Starting with Catalyst 8.12, I think something changed with XVideo (might be 8.11, cannot remember exactly). I suddenly noticed that when running my GPU with a lower powerstate, XVideo suffered greatly. I could not remember seeing that before. At the same release, power-state switching turned unstable, so I've stopped using it completely.

        * Ever since Catalyst 8.12, XVideo has not been flickering in Compiz-environment, but performance is abysmal, especially when going fullscreen. It does *not* peg CPU, and something very weird is going on, so probably hits some kind of GPU-limitations. 2-3 FPS (!) and extreme jerking/tearing with mplayer+XV in fullscreen, a little better with VLC, but still far below 25 FPS (or whatever the FPS of the movie being played back). CPU usage is normal/low while video is jerking and stopping/starting like crazy. Sometimes X crashes (black screen + Xorg 100% CPU) when I run XV in fullscreen in Compiz.

        XVideo in non-Compiz environment works much better, and doesn't seem more CPU demanding than before. But probably more GPU demanding (harder to tell really, other than the powerstate-hint).

        * Playing back video with OpenGL is suddenly much better than it used to be with fglrx, and mplayer now plays normal movies (not super-duper HD) tear-free in fullscreen with OpenGL (Compiz+unredirect) smoothly. That is with the very same test-videos I use with XV (a 1024x576 25 FPS movie, and a 640x480 60 FPS movie).

        * XVideo performance is window size dependent.

        * The open source radeon driver is able to play back using XVideo in Compiz without a hitch, and has been so for a while (albeit, you have to enable EXA to get it working). I can see no quality difference between open source driver and fglrx' XV output.

        * Even though my GPU is limited (I am aware of that and not expecting magic), something still seems odd/wrong with XVideo. As long as the open source driver can do it on the same hw, I'll continue to complain about it .
        Last edited by oyvind; 02-20-2009, 06:11 PM. Reason: Added another point to list ..

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          <snip>
          I'm not sure if there are any options in aticonfig or cccle for disabling video quality options but it would be worth checking. It would also be useful for someone with a high-end 5xx (same age but more shader power) to see how the recent drivers perform on their GPUs. I suspect that their video performance would be fine -- in which case the simpler shaders on the open source driver might be a better fit for your GPU.
          Oh, and please do tell if you know of any options I can try to lower quality of XVideo to gain some performance back (if that turns out to be the issue). I currently don't use any special options in xorg.conf at all. Basically, the only things I've changed is "aticonfig --auto-powerstates=off" and I've lowered mipmapping-quality in CCC. I start with clean amdpcsdb every time I install a new Catalyst-release ...

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by oyvind View Post
            * Starting with Catalyst 8.12, I think something changed with XVideo (might be 8.11, cannot remember exactly). I suddenly noticed that when running my GPU with a lower powerstate, XVideo suffered greatly. I could not remember seeing that before. At the same release, power-state switching turned unstable, so I've stopped using it completely.
            Yeah, we dropped in the first release of an all new video stack around that time.

            Originally posted by oyvind View Post
            * Ever since Catalyst 8.12, XVideo has not been flickering in Compiz-environment, but performance is abysmal, especially when going fullscreen. It does *not* peg CPU, and something very weird is going on, so probably hits some kind of GPU-limitations. 2-3 FPS (!) and extreme jerking/tearing with mplayer+XV in fullscreen, a little better with VLC, but still far below 25 FPS (or whatever the FPS of the movie being played back). CPU usage is normal/low while video is jerking and stopping/starting like crazy. Sometimes X crashes (black screen + Xorg 100% CPU) when I run XV in fullscreen in Compiz.
            OK, that makes sense. Here's an interesting question -- did you ever play videos for any length of time under Compiz before ? The obvious reason for asking is that playing video under Compiz involves at least 2x the pixel pushing of video without Compiz. I'm obviously trying to figure out if the slow performance under Compiz is new, or if it was always slow but you never noticed because the flickering chased you away first

            Originally posted by oyvind View Post
            XVideo in non-Compiz environment works much better, and doesn't seem more CPU demanding than before. But probably more GPU demanding (harder to tell really, other than the powerstate-hint).
            Yep.

            Originally posted by oyvind View Post
            * Playing back video with OpenGL is suddenly much better than it used to be with fglrx, and mplayer now plays normal movies (not super-duper HD) tear-free in fullscreen with OpenGL (Compiz+unredirect) smoothly. That is with the very same test-videos I use with XV (a 1024x576 25 FPS movie, and a 640x480 60 FPS movie).
            Oh good

            Originally posted by oyvind View Post
            * XVideo performance is window size dependent.
            OK, so that also points to a maxed-out GPU.

            Originally posted by oyvind View Post
            * The open source radeon driver is able to play back using XVideo in Compiz without a hitch, and has been so for a while (albeit, you have to enable EXA to get it working). I can see no quality difference between open source driver and fglrx' XV output.
            Makes sense. I suspect that you're seeing the difference between hard-coded bicubic filtering with a helper texture on the open source drivers, vs. a more expensive but more flexible adaptive filter on fglrx. Not sure of that though... if it was the case I would expect you to see a quality difference on moving objects more than on fixed objects, FWIW.

            Originally posted by oyvind View Post
            * Even though my GPU is limited (I am aware of that and not expecting magic), something still seems odd/wrong with XVideo. As long as the open source driver can do it on the same hw, I'll continue to complain about it .
            I would expect no less. Thanks

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I'm not sure if there are any options in aticonfig or cccle for disabling video quality options but it would be worth checking. It would also be useful for someone with a high-end 5xx (same age but more shader power) to see how the recent drivers perform on their GPUs. I suspect that their video performance would be fine -- in which case the simpler shaders on the open source driver might be a better fit for your GPU.
              maybe i can check it on my mobility x1600. I know it's far away from being high-end, but it's faster than the x1400.

              btw. need Support for X-Server 1.6 T_T

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by bridgman View Post

                OK, that makes sense. Here's an interesting question -- did you ever play videos for any length of time under Compiz before ? The obvious reason for asking is that playing video under Compiz involves at least 2x the pixel pushing of video without Compiz. I'm obviously trying to figure out if the slow performance under Compiz is new, or if it was always slow but you never noticed because the flickering chased you away first

                Yes, you are right about this. The flickering didn't really appeal to me, so I never gave it a chance. It was probably just as slow, only now I'm actually able to see it. Or really, when flickering before, it didn't really involve Compiz, just fighting for the frame buffer ? Now it definitely involves Compiz, since video is transformed/composited properly.

                In summary, your reply totally makes sense. Also wrt. to open source radeon driver using bicubic scaling. I remember seeing some of that while peeking into the source code and reverting a patch to radeon-GIT which broke tear-free XV on my hardware (a while back, now).

                Anyway, thanks again for your replies.

                Comment


                • #23
                  hi,
                  I can't load the fglrx module,
                  I get

                  Code:
                  fglrx: Unknown symbol firegl_interrupt_poll
                  fglrx: Unknown symbol firegl_interrupt_open
                  fglrx: Unknown symbol firegl_interrupt_release
                  fglrx: Unknown symbol firegl_interrupt_read
                  fglrx: Unknown symbol firegl_interrupt_write
                  with catalyst 9.1 I had no problem..
                  I have a custom kernel so I guess there are some kernel options I have to adjust...

                  P.S:

                  In compiling time I get:

                  Code:
                  WARNING: "firegl_interrupt_write" [/var/abs/local/cata91/catalyst/src/archive_files/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko] undefined!
                  WARNING: "firegl_interrupt_read" [/var/abs/local/cata91/catalyst/src/archive_files/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko] undefined!
                  WARNING: "firegl_interrupt_release" [/var/abs/local/cata91/catalyst/src/archive_files/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko] undefined!
                  WARNING: "firegl_interrupt_open" [/var/abs/local/cata91/catalyst/src/archive_files/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko] undefined!
                  WARNING: "firegl_interrupt_poll" [/var/abs/local/cata91/catalyst/src/archive_files/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko] undefined!

                  edit:
                  ok, I've just recompiled the kernel and works fine
                  Last edited by kkkk; 02-21-2009, 06:15 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Can't use Xinerama anymore. (screen just gets black after starting xserver and nothing happens...) Without this option this release is useless for me...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I am pleased with this release. It's not 100% but it shows progress.

                      XV under compiz almost works now. The only problem is that video is sized for the whole window's size, not the window minus player controls. Other than that though it was smooth. Hopefully video will be 100% under 9.3

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I think I can sum up ATI catalyst releases quite nicely.
                        And I'll do so by quoting Michael

                        "Hopefully next month ........"

                        Keep hoping and waiting guys. Meanwhile, I'm I sold my ATI and bought an nvidia

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Full of problems and bugs.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I've seen an increase in FPS while playing savage 2. This is good.

                            EDIT: mythfrontend and opengl seem to be working nicely as well. gw

                            EDIT2: The FPS increase is unreliable, at times it will drop from 80 to 15 for no obvious reason.
                            mythfrontend only worked the once with opengl. From subsequent starts, it exhibits the same old bug of not displaying the menu change.

                            have experienced hardlocks when changing to a VT sometimes. My smooth sailing is over it seems..
                            Last edited by storma; 02-21-2009, 09:22 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Why is it so big? Nvidia's 64-bit drivers that include 32-bit compat libs and pre-built kernel modules are around 20MB. I think they should hire one of the Damn Small Linux (or Puppy) devs to fit it under 50MB .

                              And seriously nobody, I say nobody, cares about xvba, especially when one talks about fglrx. It would be face-saving if they manage to implement even a half-functional vdpau before the radeon, radeonhd and intel guys do it in their sleep .

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by hdas View Post
                                Why is it so big? Nvidia's 64-bit drivers that include 32-bit compat libs and pre-built kernel modules are around 20MB. I think they should hire one of the Damn Small Linux (or Puppy) devs to fit it under 50MB .
                                Nvidia offer separate packages depending on what you want. Ati have bundled it all in one.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X