Given up on ATI. sold and bought an NVidia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mits View Post
    "Πόντος"! ...and I was wondering if there were any greeks lurking in these forums

seems like you've paid amd enough to hire a couple more linux developers
    my latest system's all amd too... guess I bought into the "supporting foss" statements... haven't regretted (yet) though...

"Πόντος"=Pontus was a GOD of the old greek mytologie.. every new sidux have a own GOD how protects the user... first sidux god was "Chaos" "χάος"

i use sidux on chaos the first time..

i habe 2 Geode to... a 233mhz wrap and a 500mhz alix amd Router bords!

"Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
    fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 sep pge cmov clflush mmx mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow"

and i have 2 sockel F 1207 amd systems and 1 A64 and 1 Athelon

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
      "Πόντος"=Pontus was a GOD of the old greek mytologie.. every new sidux have a own GOD how protects the user... first sidux god was "Chaos" "χάος"
      oh, didn't know that... cool (I had actually forgotten about the god (/titan) Pontus too)

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
        Bridgeman, I'd really appreciate specific answers to my questions.
        I think you want the answers you'd like to hear rather than the reality of it. In the grand scheme of things AMD support for Linux is far from their top priority compared to Windows, and of the Linux users they're first and foremost interested in solving the issues that professional OpenGL users buying high margin cards are having. If Bridgman told you having dancing monkey cubes on the open source desktop was their highest priority he'd be lying his ass off and you know it. Of course, this is pretty much true for nVidia too but just putting things a little into perspective.

A lot of the things AMD is taking the blame for are the shortcomings of X. It wasn't designed for synching video frames, it wasn't designed for compositing and it's just recently work has gone into changing all that. nVidia did something about it by overriding the bottom half of X and rolling their own, while AMD and Intel have taken steps to make X better even though it's not really a vendor-specific thing. It's common driver infrastructure that should have been generic to the kernel and X.

Bridgman has been pretty honest about it - they've got a limited staff and are trying to do things in order of priority. They will help, but not write the whole open driver themselves. UVD is a legal quagmire that may never be open source, and there's other things higher up on the list like power management. Compositing without flickering or tearing should end as soon as the driver model hits the 21st century. Not good enough? Well, you can tell sweet sweet lies but no, all your problems will not go away in a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
          I think you want the answers you'd like to hear rather than the reality of it. ......
          I know that. I'm not complaining. I'm aware that ATI may have other priorities.

what I want to know, is what they are.

If ATI were to officially admit that compiz and XServer 1.6 weren't a priority, we couldn't complain.

ATI just needs to be more open. They need to make promises, and keep them.

If they can't guarantee compiz, hardware decoding and XServer support are a priority, I won't complain, I'll just buy nvidia

sound fair? (so, Bridgman, can I get a response?)

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
            I won't complain, I'll just buy nvidia
            I recommend you to do it now and spend your money on nvidia because it is the best motivation for ATi to hire more developers to work on the drivers. More developers are needed because ATi drivers lack many features and they wont catch up with nvidia with such a slow speed.

Comment

SyXbiT bought an NVidia card before this thread started, so the discussion is really kind of moot. The offer is really "if you make enough promises I might send back my NVidia card".

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15333

Neither we nor any of the other hardware vendors are making advance promises on future driver features. We do try to give guidance, however.

Our current priorities outside of the core workstation business are to get close to feature parity with other OSes except where limited by OS and/or graphics framework, and to ramp up support for consumer-related features. We have added Ubuntu to the supported OS list (previously just RH and SuSE) and you can assume that anything needed to work well with Ubuntu will be on our list.
              Last edited by bridgman; 02-10-2009, 04:58 PM.

Comment

I share a very similar experience. I just made the switch from ATI to NVIDIA in late 2008 as well. Before this the only NVIDIA card I've ever had is one that came with a Dell, but I had bought two ATIs myself. By late 2008, I had gone through two Ubuntu versions (Feisty and Hardy) where I've had to choose between open source drivers, stability and absolutely no 3D acceleration or the catalyst driver with 3D acceleration but instability and screen corruption. I even posted here trying to make some progress but to no avail.

So, while doing some other upgrades I picked up a Geforce 9800 GTX+ and I have to say, I'm happy. The binary blob is less than ideal but my best chance for 3D on the ATI side is the catalyst blob which carries the same disadvantages but more bugs.

Like the OP, I haven't closed the door on ATI. However, after tolerating the bad situation for about a year, I just needed something that worked reasonably well NOW. ATI has poorer open source drivers than Intel and poorer proprietary drivers than NVIDIA so it definitely has some work to do. I'll probably revisit ATI cards when significant progress has been made.

Oh, and I could never see the bios/boot screen using DVI out with my ATI Sapphire card so I had to have both VGA and DVI connected.
                I had wrestled with this when I first bough the flatscreen and wasn;t sure where the fault was.
                But since DVI out works fine during boot with the NVIDIA card, I now suspect the fault was with the ATI card.
                So I guess I'm becoming an NVIDIA fan.
                Overall good experience with it.
                Last edited by marq; 02-10-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Damn it, I want 9.3 beta NOW! I think Qaridarium is a liar, there is no leaked 9.3 download in the web 9.2 yes, but no 9.3. And I think AMD should create an unofficial leak portal, so they don't have to care about bricked hardware or whatever else keeps them away from open betas.

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire View Post
                    Damn it, I want 9.3 beta NOW! I think Qaridarium is a liar, there is no leaked 9.3 download in the web 9.2 yes, but no 9.3. And I think AMD should create an unofficial leak portal, so they don't have to care about bricked hardware or whatever else keeps them away from open betas.
                    I think talking about what is or isn't fixed in these leaked betas that nobody can touch just sets expectations that may not be fulfilled. It's a bad thing, and people should avoid it.

Comment

Did I talk "about what is or isn't fixed"? :O I just want to use them and nothing else, I don't feel like I have to tell everyone in the world what's up about the drivers. Maybe it helps to understand if you know that I use Alpha/Beta software wherever possible.

Comment

Did I talk "about what is or isn't fixed"? :O
                        No, but there certainly are other people doing it, and it really just frustrates everyone else who doesn't have those drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnycat26 View Post
                          No, but there certainly are other people doing it,
                          Yeah, I was just wondering why you quoted me.
                          Originally posted by jonnycat26 View Post
                          and it really just frustrates everyone else who doesn't have those drivers.
                          So true.

Comment

Did I talk "about what is or isn't fixed"? :O I just want to use them and nothing else, I don't feel like I have to tell everyone in the world what's up about the drivers. Maybe it helps to understand if you know that I use Alpha/Beta software wherever possible.
                            Write your own driver and you will always have the latest and greatest version before anyone else.

Or, you can try to get on as an NDA'd beta tester.

Failing that, you will just have to wait for the official releases just like everyone else.

I can see running alpha and beta software if you are a developer, tester, or just desire the benefits of whatever features a newer version offers over the increased number of bugs and broken features, but I can't understand why someone would use pre-release software wherever possible unless said person is a bit masochistic.

Comment

Originally posted by octoberblu3 View Post
                              Write your own driver and you will always have the latest and greatest version before anyone else.

Or, you can try to get on as an NDA'd beta tester.
                              Guess it's not as easy as registering on a webform, is it?
                              Failing that, you will just have to wait for the official releases just like everyone else.

I can see running alpha and beta software if you are a developer, tester, or just desire the benefits of whatever features a newer version offers over the increased number of bugs and broken features,
                              What if all three come together? A developer, that is testing previously broken things and benefiting from the latest effort done in the drivers? At the moment I train my skills in OpenGL and am testing the drivers every day with my daily usage. It would be great fun to benefit from the latest features. If the driver is completely broken I sill can switch to the previous beta/stable. If my hardware gets bricked I finally have a good reason to get a better card
                              but I can't understand why someone would use pre-release software wherever possible unless said person is a bit masochistic.
                              Better: "benefit from newest features wherever possible".

Comment

Damn it, I want 9.3 beta NOW! I think Qaridarium is a liar, there is no leaked 9.3 download in the web
                                O Yes I'm a liar

Ash on my head

Comment

Working...
                                X