Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fix for black screen on reboot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by jimmal View Post
    for me is the blackscreen (freeze) gone on the next reboot after this command:
    try cp /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
    I will give that a try tomorrow!

    Comment


    • #12
      What if we don't have a /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default ? Can it be moved or deleted and forced to re create a default version through a command or reinstall?

      Comment


      • #13
        Yep, try:
        mv /etc/ati/amdpcsdb ~/amdpcsdb-backup
        aticonfig --initial

        Comment


        • #14
          Ok, after installing with the script and copying the amdpcsdb.default over top of amdpcsdb it appears to be booting to the desktop alright. Is there a way to check which driver I am using? I just want to have some verification that everything went alright. My CCC says:
          Code:
          Software
          Catalyst Version			8.53
          2D Driver Version			8.56.4
          Catalyst Control Center Version		2.3
          Does that look right for 8.12?

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by grantek View Post
            Yep, try:
            mv /etc/ati/amdpcsdb ~/amdpcsdb-backup
            aticonfig --initial
            That doesnt work for creating a new file?

            I have tried the newest Cat 9.1 and they dont work for me and my XBMC in Ubuntu 8.1. Everything is like in slow motion because of some low FPS.


            I reinstalled the 8.552 from package manager, and I have created a new xorg.conf.

            BUT, I have no amdpcsdb in my /usr/share/ati , and I know I need one to be able to adjust for my underscan for my plasma on HDMI/DVI.

            So, my question are, HOW do I create a new amdpcsdb and make the driver use 'em?
            Thanks

            /Söder

            Comment


            • #16
              Have you run aticonfig --initial ? That might create the file if it's not there already.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Have you run aticonfig --initial ? That might create the file if it's not there already.
                Yes, I tried that. It didnt create anything but a new xorg.conf...

                htpc@htpc-desktop:~$ aticonfig --initial
                Found fglrx primary device section
                Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fglrx-3
                aticonfig: Writing to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' failed. Bad file descriptor.
                htpc@htpc-desktop:~$

                And more strange is, that I boot up with a flat screen monitor with VGA, and X start and I have picture.
                I then plugg my TV in with HDMI/DVI, dual monitors, and picture on both. But underscan on the TV.

                Then with
                aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
                aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:0
                aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1280
                aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:720

                I can get the underscan to disapear.
                BUT before, I hade to use the setting
                aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

                to get rid of the underscan permanently.
                Now I have no amdpcsdb to fix my underscan in, and when I reboot, without the flat screen monitor via VGA, I also get no picture on my plasma.

                via SSH I can see that X are not running....
                What shall I do?

                /Söder
                Last edited by soder; 02-01-2009, 12:48 PM.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by soder View Post
                  Yes, I tried that. It didnt create anything but a new xorg.conf...

                  htpc@htpc-desktop:~$ aticonfig --initial
                  Found fglrx primary device section
                  Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                  Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fglrx-3
                  aticonfig: Writing to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' failed. Bad file descriptor.
                  htpc@htpc-desktop:~$

                  And more strange is, that I boot up with a flat screen monitor with VGA, and X start and I have picture.
                  I then plugg my TV in with HDMI/DVI, dual monitors, and picture on both. But underscan on the TV.

                  Then with
                  aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
                  aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:0
                  aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1280
                  aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:720

                  I can get the underscan to disapear.
                  BUT before, I hade to use the setting
                  aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

                  to get rid of the underscan permanently.
                  Now I have no amdpcsdb to fix my underscan in, and when I reboot, without the flat screen monitor via VGA, I also get no picture on my plasma.

                  via SSH I can see that X are not running....
                  What shall I do?

                  /Söder
                  First I have to say, that catalyst 9.1 are the drivers Im gonna use.

                  And that it seems like the changed the path /usr/share/ati to /etc/ati for the file amdpcsdb

                  There where I am right now. Trying to get a picturer, not overscan, by editing the files amdpcsdb and amdpcsdb.default

                  Help please?

                  /Söder

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by soder View Post
                    First I have to say, that catalyst 9.1 are the drivers Im gonna use.

                    And that it seems like the changed the path /usr/share/ati to /etc/ati for the file amdpcsdb

                    There where I am right now. Trying to get a picturer, not overscan, by editing the files amdpcsdb and amdpcsdb.default

                    Help please?

                    /Söder
                    This is what I did.
                    First copied.
                    Then in control panel changed, no overscan, vsync and AI.

                    Code:
                    htpc@htpc-desktop:/etc/ati$ sudo cp amdpcsdb amdpcsdb.TEST
                    htpc@htpc-desktop:/etc/ati$ diff amdpcsdb amdpcsdb.TEST 
                    htpc@htpc-desktop:/etc/ati$ diff amdpcsdb amdpcsdb.TEST 
                    156d155
                    < Centermode=Son
                    162,164d160
                    < [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/BUSID-1:5:0-0/OpenGL]
                    < VSyncControl=V3
                    < CatalystAI=V2
                    172d167
                    < LastViewedPage=SMore Settings

                    Have to figuerer out how to fix the overscan.
                    If I edit to much in the .default, then I get no screen on boot up.

                    /Söder

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by soder View Post
                      This is what I did.
                      First copied.
                      Then in control panel changed, no overscan, vsync and AI.

                      Code:
                      htpc@htpc-desktop:/etc/ati$ sudo cp amdpcsdb amdpcsdb.TEST
                      htpc@htpc-desktop:/etc/ati$ diff amdpcsdb amdpcsdb.TEST 
                      htpc@htpc-desktop:/etc/ati$ diff amdpcsdb amdpcsdb.TEST 
                      156d155
                      < Centermode=Son
                      162,164d160
                      < [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/BUSID-1:5:0-0/OpenGL]
                      < VSyncControl=V3
                      < CatalystAI=V2
                      172d167
                      < LastViewedPage=SMore Settings

                      Have to figuerer out how to fix the overscan.
                      If I edit to much in the .default, then I get no screen on boot up.

                      /Söder
                      I'm a little late to this party, but had a black screen last night. in case it helps anyone, some details at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1054492&page=4

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X