Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI fglrx 8.26.18 Discussion (June 2006)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael
    So you used the ATI official installer on top of the Livna packages? What were the problems you encountered with those RPMs? You could try uninstalling those, and then reuse the automatic installation method again from the official binary.
    Tried to do this again from scratch. Here's what I did
    1) Remove ati supplied driver (8.26.18-x64) using the fglrx-uninstall script
    2) remove all xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-8.26.18 xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-devel xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-libs-32bit
    3) remove kmod-fglrx-8.26.18

reboot

system comes up with vesa drivers (wonder if I can live with just that)

Decided to try just the ati-supplied driver

./ati-driver-installer-8.26.18-x86_64.run
    goes through and does its thing, install-log still complains about cast from pointer to integer and could not find /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/.libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4.cmd for /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4

but again says build succeeded

running aticonfig gives
    aticonfig: error while loading shared libraries: libfglrx_pp.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    running fireglcontrolpanel gives
    fireglcontrolpanel: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied

Ok, I'm going to remove this ati-supplied driver and try the livna alone
    More to come. (and it's such a nice day outside too, Sigh !!)

Comment

Originally posted by Yekuva
      running aticonfig gives
      aticonfig: error while loading shared libraries: libfglrx_pp.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
      running fireglcontrolpanel gives
      fireglcontrolpanel: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied

Ok, I'm going to remove this ati-supplied driver and try the livna alone
      More to come. (and it's such a nice day outside too, Sigh !!)
      Okay, if you didn't remove the drivers yet.... do

Code:
      su -
      aticonfig --initial
      The library problem is with Fedora Core 5, but if you do it as su - the library problem will go away. After that if you reboot, it should work flawlessly.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Okay, if you didn't remove the drivers yet.... do

Code:
        su -
        aticonfig --initial
        The library problem is with Fedora Core 5, but if you do it as su - the library problem will go away. After that if you reboot, it should work flawlessly.
        I did it as root but it did not work.
        Tried just the drivers from livna (8.26.18). Installed but control panel gives message
        Driver does not provide the FireGL X11 extensions ! Panel components will operate only partially.

Today is not my day. Maybe I will really start from scratch. Clean install. Well there goes tomorrow (Yippeeee !!)

Thanks for your help Michael. WIll keep forum posted as to what comes of it.
        More to come

Comment

What do you mean it did not work? Were you greeted with the same library error when trying to use aticonfig?
          Michael Larabel

Comment

What do you mean it did not work? Were you greeted with the same library error when trying to use aticonfig?
            I still have no info about GL or anything. Running fireglcontrol panel from console as root gives
            fireglcontrolpanel
            Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
            Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
            fireglcontrolpanel: cannot connect to X server :0
            running as normal user gives the message
            Driver does not provide the FireGL X11 extensions
            Panel components will operate only partially
            Palen loads but provides no info
            New stuff to interpret??

Comment

So as root aticonfig had worked fine for you (saying something about finding an uninitalized file and then making a backup)?

If you have a place to upload the files, upload your Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf (or just try Livna again) or mail them to Michael [at] phoronix.com. Alternatively, you could wait shortly for the July ATI drivers.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by dmlog
                Alt-Fn switch back from textmode console to X still broken for me. System completely hang.
                My spec:
                Fedora Core 5 kernel 2.6.17
                Sapphire ATI x1600 Pro 256M AGP
                EPoX nForce3-250 based motherboard

I'm write small notes about tests on my blog.
                I had this same trouble awhile back. I solved it by changing my xorg.conf keyboard section to read pc105 instead of pc104, perhaps the same will work for you.

Comment

Things seem fine with x1600 and fc5_x64 - 2.6.17

Ok so things are working now. Just a brief explaination of what happened in the meantime.
                  I think the problem that I was having was that the aticonfig script was somehow not changing the driver reference in the xorg.conf file properly. I tried to do it manually but I could not edit the file for some weird reason. I think it might have been because I was running out of space on the /usr partition. Can't quite understand how it got full but that does not explain why I could not write to /etc.
                  Anyway, since I had to redo the disk to get more space I decided to do a clean install. Spent all day doing that and then updates, all this on a not very fast link, so it really did take all day.
                  Added livna after doing the updates and then installed the 8.26.18 driver. Works beautifully now. Right now running dual desktop and it seems fine. I will try google earth soon to see if that works. Will let you know what happens with that.
                  Thanks for all the valuable help Michael, that is what the Linux community needs.

Comment

You're very much welcome. If you run into any other problems, or have thoughts to share, feel free to post them.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X