Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fixing underscan might crash X

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    May you give us your script (specially how to create a default amdpcsdb)?

    Bibi

    Comment


    • #17
      The default file is automatically used at startup when no amdpcsdb is existing. That is: the file /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default is simply copied over to /etc/ati/amdpcsdb if the file is not available when starting xorg.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by bibi View Post
        May you give us your script (specially how to create a default amdpcsdb)?

        Bibi
        1. Make your changes in CCC and save

        2. cp /etc/ati/amdpcsdb /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.working

        3. Create /etc/init.d/amdpcsdb-recover.sh with this content:
        #!/bin/bash
        cp /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.working /etc/ati/amdpcsdb

        4. chmod +x /etc/init.d/amdpcsdb-recover.sh

        5. ln -s /etc/init.d/amdpcsdb-recover.sh /etc/rcS.d/S50amdpcsdb-recover.sh

        6: Create atiunderscan.sh with following content (make changes for your TV):
        #!/bin/bash
        aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1280
        aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
        aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:720
        aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:0

        7. chmod +x atiunderscan.sh

        8 Add "sh /path/to/atiunderscan.sh" in autostart under Preferenes > Sessions in Gnome.

        9. Reboot

        /Söder

        Comment


        • #19
          It should be noted that Söder's fix only works with Catalyst 9.1 and older. And I would assume that it crashes if you try to change frequency on the fly using xrandr (for example "xrandr -r 50" or what ever is available on your TV).

          I myself want to watch 24p movies with 24Hz mode, but still have 60Hz when I do something else.

          Yet Söder's fix probably is sufficient for many. So thanks!

          Comment


          • #20
            Thank you , i'll try it tonight with 9.2.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Peruna View Post
              It should be noted that Söder's fix only works with Catalyst 9.1 and older. And I would assume that it crashes if you try to change frequency on the fly using xrandr (for example "xrandr -r 50" or what ever is available on your TV).

              I myself want to watch 24p movies with 24Hz mode, but still have 60Hz when I do something else.

              Yet Söder's fix probably is sufficient for many. So thanks!
              That workd for now for me. You saying that
              aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
              aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:0
              aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1280
              aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:720

              are not working in the Cat 9.2?

              What the fuck are ATI doing? First the screw up the aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0 and now this.

              How are we gonne compensate for the underscan there shitty drivers cause.....

              /Söder

              Comment


              • #22
                Yep, setting those values in 9.2 just causes error message telling that they can not be used with used input (which is tmds2i for me).

                At least bridgman said in other thread that this is a real issue that needs to be fixed. I have been waiting for fix since 8.11 broke DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Peruna View Post
                  Yep, setting those values in 9.2 just causes error message telling that they can not be used with used input (which is tmds2i for me).

                  At least bridgman said in other thread that this is a real issue that needs to be fixed. I have been waiting for fix since 8.11 broke DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0.
                  Oh, so that was allready broken in 8.11..?

                  I used the 8.552 or something from the normal installation+upgrade in Ubuntu 8.10 before this 9.1

                  Maybe better to go back to the that version again if ATI cant do better.

                  Dont know if I have something to win with the newer drivers since I only use it for XBMC.

                  /Söder

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by soder View Post
                    That workd for now for me. You saying that
                    aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
                    aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:0
                    aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1280
                    aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:720

                    are not working in the Cat 9.2?

                    What the fuck are ATI doing? First the screw up the aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0 and now this.

                    How are we gonne compensate for the underscan there shitty drivers cause.....

                    /Söder
                    Not sure if this will help, but when I ran those commands (only did it one time cause this work around for the underscan sucks) I had to use positionx, positiony, sizex and sizey, not the capital X, Y. If I used capital it said value not supported by my monitor or outside allowable range.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Hi,

                      After hours of Internet researches to solve the underscanning issue (HD3200 chip), I was happy with aticonfig fix, despite the fact of having to reset the ati dafaults upon reboot.

                      A few days ago Fedora 10 upgraded to version 9.2 and aticonfig now refuses to change position and size, as stated above:

                      Code:
                      aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
                       Try to Set positionX adjust of monitor tmds2i value : 0 failed.
                       It may not supported by monitor or the value beyond the range.
                      Is there a fix planned soon ?

                      Why does fglrx underscans whereas ati does not (I checked the modeline they are the same with both drivers, consistant with EDID data sent my the Samsung TV) ?

                      Many thanks

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by mrechte View Post
                        Hi,

                        After hours of Internet researches to solve the underscanning issue (HD3200 chip), I was happy with aticonfig fix, despite the fact of having to reset the ati dafaults upon reboot.

                        A few days ago Fedora 10 upgraded to version 9.2 and aticonfig now refuses to change position and size, as stated above:

                        Code:
                        aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
                         Try to Set positionX adjust of monitor tmds2i value : 0 failed.
                         It may not supported by monitor or the value beyond the range.
                        Is there a fix planned soon ?

                        Why does fglrx underscans whereas ati does not (I checked the modeline they are the same with both drivers, consistant with EDID data sent my the Samsung TV) ?

                        Many thanks
                        Did you look at the post right above your post from me? It basically tells you what to do.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          For me it makes no difference whether I use capital X and Y or not.

                          It prints exactly the same error message.

                          This is with 9.2 x64 and tmds2i connection.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Capital or or not does not change anything for me either.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              What are you all users with hd3200 doing now? Staying on 9.1 and using the scripts, or staying at 8.x and uses the UNDERSCAN_0 option?

                              All I want is to run XBMC as good as possible, and with no underscan.

                              Im getting tired of my script. I cant use suspend, cause when the htpc wake up theres no screen. I also cant boot the htpc without turning my TV on first...

                              =(

                              /Söder

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by soder View Post
                                What are you all users with hd3200 doing now? Staying on 9.1 and using the scripts, or staying at 8.x and uses the UNDERSCAN_0 option?
                                For me, I fixed the problem in 8.12 (might have been 9.1 or 8.11, I really don't recall) by running:

                                Code:
                                aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
                                and, I believe something was recorded in my grapchics BIOS, since once I upgraded I've never had a ******d up scan on my TV since. I believe the above doesn't record anything into amdbcsdb, but the

                                Code:
                                aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
                                aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:0
                                aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1920
                                aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:1080
                                on the other hand, does, and locks up the Xorg at the next start. So, if you get a hang system at X.org start, make sure you delete the amdpcsdb (or move it away) while X.org is not running to make sure you start clean (the file gets written again at every X.org exit so deleting it while X.org is running will not work).

                                Oh, and I using:
                                • Gentoo
                                • Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (with the builtin 780G integrated HD3200)
                                • Catalyst 9.2 currently

                                Hope this helps someone =)
                                Last edited by Mr. Hilarious; 03-23-2009, 11:37 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X