• Show
Clear All

• Some benches on the upcoming 45nm AMD

Quake Wars

Crysis

BluRay (Pirates O.T.C.)

Idle Power

Full Load Power

Last edited by deanjo; 10-01-2008, 04:03 PM.

I'm looking forward to see how PTS results would be.
    Last edited by deanjo; 10-01-2008, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I can't speak for the second comment, but the first comment includes (very) old results with an early stepping, so be careful with your conclusions. But the reduced power consumption is pretty amazing to say at least.

Comment

I wouldn't say two months is all that old.

Comment

What's being measured in the POV-Ray benchmark? Pixels per second?

Comment

4 Ghz from a 2.2 Ghz proc on air :O

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              4 Ghz from a 2.2 Ghz proc on air :O
              That's impressive, but he's running it at 1.6v on a 45nm process. I wouldnt run a 90nm chip at that voltage let alone a 65nm chip or even worse 45nm. He probably disabled every service that he could, then booted it up, and started cpuz then took a snapshot as fast as he could before it locked up on him.

Still though If it runs at 3.4ghz or 3.5ghz on air at reasonable volts and temps that would be mighty impressive. From the looks at that snapshot it may well be possible to do just that.

Comment

Any benchmarks on the compilation times in Gentoo ?

Comment

i would be nice to include how many watts that using. i know some users dont mind power wasting cpus but i am interested in power saving cpus. or at the least proceesing power / watt. and idle power usage.

Comment

Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
                    i would be nice to include how many watts that using. i know some users dont mind power wasting cpus but i am interested in power saving cpus. or at the least proceesing power / watt. and idle power usage.
                    While I can appreciate the "green" concern, truth is that you will probably save more per year changing 2 incandescent bulbs over to led or florescent in your house then picking a 65 watt over a 125 watt processor. Performance per watt is also very determinant on the software you are running and their optimization for a particular processor. There is also other factors to consider as well such as logic chipsets as well. While the savings can be huge in a server farm / data center scenario where systems operated under heavy load 24/7, chances are in 2-3 years you will be swapping out the system anyways and the savings to be had by a lower power consumption processor will be lost by the extra initial purchase price of the lower consumption processor.

Comment

its not so much as being green as the heat that is generated. its nice during the winter, but not the summer. i dont have any air conditioning here, and dont think that should be reqired to compute.

matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
                        its not so much as being green as the heat that is generated. its nice during the winter, but not the summer. i dont have any air conditioning here, and dont think that should be reqired to compute.

matt
                        OK I can appreciate that but keep in mind that there are probably more BTU's coming from the drives. video cards. chipset and power supply then just the cpu.

Comment

agreed. i look at all the components, not just the cpu. i find the reviews that show the power usage from the wall plug the best.

matt

Comment

Another write up from the techreport today.

AMD overclocks 45nm Phenoms to 4GHz and beyond
                            by Cyril Kowaliski — 1:47 PM on November 20, 2008
                            According to AMD's latest roadmaps, 45nm Phenom II processors are just a few weeks away from launch—they'll materialize at the Consumer Electronic Show in early January. Not a bad time to start gauging the overclocking potential of these chips, right?
                            AMD took care of that itself at an event in Austin this morning, where it showcased four overclocked Phenom II systems. TR editor-in-chief Scott Wasson was on the scene, and while AMD didn't allow attendees to take pictures, he jotted down a few details.
                            The slowest system—cooled with a heatsink and fan—managed to reach just under 4GHz with a 1.55V core voltage. With liquid cooling, AMD successfully pushed a 45nm Phenom II in another machine just over the 4GHz mark. That required kicking up the CPU voltage to 1.6V, however. For the other two systems, AMD took out the big guns. One was strapped to a phase-change cooler and reached the mid-4GHz range at 1.7V, while the fastest system managed to break the 6GHz barrier using liquid nitrogen (which kept the core temperature down to a chilly -185C).
                            Considering the latest leaked roadmaps suggest the fastest Phenom II launch CPU will run at 3GHz, those are pretty decent overclocks. We should note that AMD was using Crysis to test stability, however, and that only stresses a couple of cores at best.
                            http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15927

Comment

Well, the real benchmarks are hitting the web now, and congratulations are in order to AMD. While still a generation behind Intel, they do now have a serious competitive product for the entry level quad core market.

Pricing trends over the next couple of months will now determine whether my next system build is on an AMD or Intel platform, whereas previously I assumed I would be choosing within the Intel product lineup exclusively.

Comment

Working...
                              X