Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.3 Scheduler Change "Potentially Affects Every SMP Workload In Existence"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.3 Scheduler Change "Potentially Affects Every SMP Workload In Existence"

Phoronix: Linux 4.3 Scheduler Change "Potentially Affects Every SMP Workload In Existence"

Aside from Ingo Molnar's x86 boot changes he sent in to Linus Torvalds for the Linux 4.3 merge window, he also sent in the scheduler changes for this next version of the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Generally speaking, if you can get the same outcome with less complexity, you'll get better performance (as well as easier to maintain code). I'm interested to see the results.

Comment

In other words : big call for testing and benchmarking many types of workloads, will certainly be interesting to see if there is any fallout.

S.

Comment

Always a win. Half the code size for same task. Any fallout (if any) will probably be manageable.

Comment

Hopefuly Michaels power bill go down as well.
          Hi

Comment

I wonder if it'll improve the scheduler performance under extreme loads (2000-4000 process on a 72 cores / 144 thread machines running ~75-90% utilization).
            As the number of active process increases we are seeing higher over-head on the kernel side.

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

What scheduling algorithm is being used, do you know? Is it RR?

Comment

Working...
              X