Russian 720 MHz CPU Elbrus-4C can run Doom 3 BFG @1080p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post

I very much doubt opensource amd drivers can achieve hundreds of fps even with a 3+ ghz core i7 with doom3 BFG edition unofficial linux port which uses opengl 3.2 core profile.
    Blah, BFG Edition is multithreaded and faster then original Doom 3 . Only too bad it has demo benchmark broken, so we can't easely approve .

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
      Nice...
      There are some articles downplaying this CPU or not showing all the information. This seems to be a powerful CPU, judging by the clock speed and the 65nm technology... Wonder if they will move to 32nm.
      The next iteration of this design is Elbrus 8s with 8 cores and 1.3 ghz will be produced in TSMC's 28nm fab process.

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
      they should start their own factories. Even more reason to do so, when some of their own (Russian/Soviet) scientists started and developed the technologies used these days to build CPUs.
      I agree with you that they should build their own fabs. They are years behind the west in this field. IBM only recently sold them the 90nm process. Mikron and angstrem companies have fabs in zelenograd city near moscow with 90nm.

In fact many developments in western CPU technology came from the soviet know-how in 90s. Intel's pentium technology is named after Vladimir Pentkovski who single handedly revolutionized CPU tech in USA literally.

Originally posted by bridgman
      nobody makes closed source drivers for AMD gfx running on the Elbrus native instruction set.
      I think this is a chance for AMD to get a hefty market share from russia. Elbrus CPUs have a big chance to become building blocks for super computers in russia. AMD should seize this opportunity and push its GPUs for use in those computers as GPGPU farm pieces. Multimedia content creation and gaming PCs built with elbrus CPUs can be a bonus later on if this architecture takes off in studios and homes.
      Last edited by glxextxexlg; 27 May 2015, 07:01 AM.

Comment

It's Elbrus-4S, not 4C (the Cyrillic letter С is transliterated to the Latin letter S).

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Stop the video at 0:48 and read it
          Hah, I saw the console but hadn't bothered reading the output... yeah, it says "Mesa" and "Gallium 0.4 on AMD ..."

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I think it has to be open source drivers -- nobody makes closed source drivers for AMD gfx running on the Elbrus native instruction set.
          Who knows, could have been a driver hack :P

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
            In fact many developments in western CPU technology came from the soviet know-how in 90s. Intel's pentium technology is named after Vladimir Pentkovski who single handedly revolutionized CPU tech in USA literally.
            No... Just... No. The Pentium branding is a result of Intel's competitors using the same numbering scheme as it, and Intel not being able to trademark a number (keep in mind back then Intel had many competitors before they killed everyone but AMD and Via off through use of patents). As a result Intel decided that the 586 would have a marketing name based off of Penta which is the Greek word for the number 5 and -ium due to it being a central ingredient to a computer.

Don't believe me? here's wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium#History

It had nothing to do with any Russians, and I seriously doubt that Intel had any Russians in it's employ back in 1993 other than possibly soviet spies.
            Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 27 May 2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              It had nothing to do with any Russians, and I seriously doubt that Intel had any Russians in it's employ back in 1993 other than possibly soviet spies.
              Here it says he was working at Intel at that time

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9F...B2%D0%B8%D1%87

So it is quite possibile to me

And of course i never think that great celebrities depends on nationality, those can be of any nationality . Also spies can be of any nationality, criminals too... and so on
              Last edited by dungeon; 27 May 2015, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Here it says he was working at Intel at that time

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9F...B2%D0%B8%D1%87

So it is quite possibile to me

And of course i never think that great celebrities depends on nationality, those can be of any nationality . Also spies can be of any nationality, criminals too... and so on
                Find me a source on that that isn't Russian, because this reeks of Russian Nationalist propaganda much as was employed during the reign of Stalin. This would have been a year and a half after the fall of the Soviet Union, which makes it exceedingly unlikely that the US Government would even allow Intel to hire Russian citizens at that point due to their status as a key government technology supplier. Not to mention the whole logistics of a Russian national travelling to the US and getting hired to Intel within the timeframe required to have even touched the Pentium design.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  Find me a source on that that isn't Russian, because this reeks of Russian Nationalist propaganda much as was employed during the reign of Stalin.
                  What Stalin has to do with anything , man died sixtysh years ago... Пентковский died (and you want source about man who can't speak anymore), Elvis Prisley died, Bruce Lee died and so on... that is it.

Alternate Elephant died 110 years ago during War of Currents, that was done just to defame serbian Tesla and now we all know what is true.

That does not mean all serbian, chinesse, russians or americans, etc... are smart nor it does mean any of those people are stupid
                  Last edited by dungeon; 28 May 2015, 12:54 AM.

Comment

What Stalin has to do with anything , man died sixtysh years ago... Пентковский died (and you want source about man who can't speak anymore), Elvis Prisley died, Bruce Lee died and so on... that is it.

Alternate Elephant died 110 years ago during War of Currents, that was done just to defame serbian Tesla and now we all know what is true.

That does not mean all serbian, chinesse, russians or americans, etc... are smart nor it does mean any of those people are stupid
                    It's well known that under the rule of Stalin that the propaganda of the era told the russians that they invented everything, this reeks of similar propaganda.

What you need to understand is that up until late December 1991, NATO and the USSR were engaged in a cold war. This does not mean that there weren't any smart people in Russia, however what it does mean is that up until effectively 1992 trade, travel and other logistical elements coming from Russia to the US and other allied nations was effectively banned. As a result it is exceedingly unlikely that this individual was even in the US at the time, nor does it match with the actual history of Intel and the Pentium, meaning that it's effectively guaranteed to be Russian propaganda.

Further the "father of the pentium" according to Intel itself is this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinod_Dham
                    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 28 May 2015, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Father of Pentium is not the same as Godfather of Pentium, and those never work alone... father without mother can't be father

Historical dates does need to match, because some people leave countries during cold or real war, embargo, etc... so anytime.

He, he, and somehow i think you want to say this now is Putin's propaganda is the same as Stalin's propaganda, just because chip comes from Russia or something
                      Last edited by dungeon; 28 May 2015, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X