Zen DDR4 support.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zen DDR4 support.

New rumors are starting to surface regarding AMD's upcoming Zen architecture. Will 14nm technology, DDR4 support, and a new multi-threading model give AMD the ammunition it needs to reinvent its own processors?

OK, so the biggest problem compute platforms face is memory bandwidth.

And DDR4 is still only 64 f-ing bits. That's 4 dimms needed to max out Zens memory controller. In my personal opinion it's ok for mobile dimms to be 64bits, but not for desktop. If a 128bit buss is too hard to etch then it's time to move on to a serial buss. JEDEC has seriously been holding memory technologies back. Not so so much as far as IC technology goes, but very much so in the memory interface technology.

Let's face it, JEDEC is a standards providing body. It's their job to make standards, and they suck at their job.

Though, HBM sounds nice. I can't wait to see it on an APU. I just really hope AMD completely redesigned the internal northbridge.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    If a 128bit buss is too hard to etch then it's time to move on to a serial buss. JEDEC has seriously been holding memory technologies back. Not so so much as far as IC technology goes, but very much so in the memory interface technology.
    There are limits to what you can do with faster serial links, since the wide links we have today run at over a gigahertz. Board wiring from CPU to memory is already a fairly black art, and there's a point where it's not really practical to run a bus that fast over a PCB.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Let's face it, JEDEC is a standards providing body. It's their job to make standards, and they suck at their job.
    It's JEDEC's job to manage standards, not to make new ones. HBM was driven by AMD and Hynix before becoming a JEDEC standard, for example.
    Last edited by bridgman; 10 May 2015, 04:56 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Working...
    X