NVIDIA Announces The Tegra X1 SoC With Maxwell Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xeizo View Post
    Arrange, through clever scheming, so that it looks like VIA buys Nvidia ... win-win for consumers ...
    Intel ain't stupid, the x86 license has clauses to stop that too, I read.

Comment

It's not yet been confirmed whether they'll release a public reference/development board like they did with the Jetson TK1, but we can only hope so in order to get a full-blown Linux distribution up and running on the X1 for some exciting benchmarks rather than the many canned Android benchmarks coming out today.
      @Michael
      K1 GPU benchmarks would be appreciated in the meantime. Personally I would also like a full review of the jetson board from the perspective of a user. For example what does it take for the motherboard to become a working computer. What is the OS installation process. How ubuntu for arm compares to ubuntu for x86. What it takes after the OS installation to run GPU accelerated stuff. Do I have to manually compile openarena, vlc, etc. to make use of the GPU? and so on..
      Last edited by zoomblab; 06 January 2015, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Dev boards are not platforms

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
        @Michael
        Personally I would also like a full review of the jetson board from the perspective of a user.
        The Jetson TK1 is a SoC development kit, it was not designed / conceived as an end-user (consumer) device, so a consumer/end-user review is rather pointless (IMHO).

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
          What NVIDIA should do is buy a x86 license (from VIA ?) and make the ultimate APU.

Just my opinion....
          AMD have said that designing an x86 CPU at the same performance level as an ARM CPU costs 10x as much.
          So what's the win for nV here? They get into a performance pissing match with Intel that they simply cannot win? Or they have to sell their CPUs at barely above cost (the AMD situation today) because low-cost is the only way they are economically competitive?

nV's current strategy seems to be to try to seek out large markets (eg auto today, maybe later smart surveillance) that can make real use of their core competence. This is the first of all their various strategies that actually makes sense to me; certainly far more than trying to fight over the stagnant x86 market when the IoT opportunities are out there and don't require the millstone of x86.

BTW, in articles like this, let's be clear that all nV has announced so far is the FEATURE SET of a particular SoC. They certainly aren't shipping it, they haven't even announced a shipping date. For all we know, the Apple A9 will be available in real products before this thing is. It's fine to tell us what companies have announced, we're all interested in that. But article's should be careful to distinguish between fact (you can buy this product, at this price, with this performance at this power level today) and fantasy (we promise that, real soon now, you'll have all these super awesome features)...

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
            The problem is that it seems like overkill for the intended market. I watched a tech demo on The Verge and they didn't showcase anything Denver couldn't handle.
            The future auto market (which I expect they are working on but have nothing to show today) assumes autos kitted out with 12 or so camera-like sensors (so optical cameras, maybe in stereoscopic config, front, rear and sides, plus radar/lidar/sonar) and those cameras used for everything from (at first) safety [eg car screams at you if it sees anything human like in the path of the car] and help with parking; later we get self-driving cars.

Comment

"So I was driving down the road minding my own business when suddenly something under the dash yelled *SQUIRREL* and the car swerved into oncoming traffic..."
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                "So I was driving down the road minding my own business when suddenly something under the dash yelled *SQUIRREL* and the car swerved into oncoming traffic..."
                I'd expect eventually all cars also coordinate traffic with each other so when one car notices a moose and tries to avoid it, cars even a mile away slow down somewhat to allow safe passing. Honestly though, HUD that aggregated data from infrared cameras would probably help drivers spot alive things on the road or approaching the road even now.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                  @Michael
                  K1 GPU benchmarks would be appreciated in the meantime. Personally I would also like a full review of the jetson board from the perspective of a user. For example what does it take for the motherboard to become a working computer. What is the OS installation process. How ubuntu for arm compares to ubuntu for x86. What it takes after the OS installation to run GPU accelerated stuff. Do I have to manually compile openarena, vlc, etc. to make use of the GPU? and so on..
                  It's just like the previous Tegra dev board and Nvidia has a customized Linux distro to go with it. You can find the details elsewhere.

Comment

Benchmarks!!! http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tegra-x1&num=1
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X