Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD A10-7800 & A6-7400K APUs Run Great On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD A10-7800 & A6-7400K APUs Run Great On Linux

    Phoronix: AMD A10-7800 & A6-7400K APUs Run Great On Linux

    At the end of July AMD launched new Kaveri APU models: the A10-7800, A8-7600, and A6-7400K. AMD graciously sent over review samples on their A10-7800 and A6-7400K Kaveri APUs, which we've been benchmarking and have some of the initial Linux performance results to share today.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20741

  • #2
    Benchmark is to compare vs the competence. Isn't it?

    Intel vs AMD please, as easy as that and priice / performance too

    And if it is intel vs AMD vs ARM vs (future) IBM PPC even better

    So, said that, as it is great on Linux ...

    How many pre installed GNU/Linux or Chrome OS machines (over 100 with Intel SoCs) will we see with this APUs?

    Comment


    • #3
      Benchmark is to compare vs the competence. Isn't it?
      Which competence? Intel does not have blob driver, this test is with fglrx driver used .

      Comment


      • #4
        With catalyst 14.6 which is definetly fine and a usable driver i do not reget buying an A10-7850K anymore.
        Hopefully Metro Redux will run as smooth as the orginial!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
          Intel vs AMD please, as easy as that and priice / performance too

          And if it is intel vs AMD vs ARM vs (future) IBM PPC even better

          So, said that, as it is great on Linux ...

          How many pre installed GNU/Linux or Chrome OS machines (over 100 with Intel SoCs) will we see with this APUs?
          It doesn't seem like Michael gets a whole lot of server hardware handouts. He would likely have to go out of his way to buy a case and motherboard if he were to get a free PPC CPU, and I don't think IBM cares enough.

          ARM typically isn't worth comparing, unless he does a cortex A15.

          Comment


          • #6
            So the 7850K wasn't using the AMD suggested DDR3 2400...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
              Intel vs AMD please, as easy as that and priice / performance too

              And if it is intel vs AMD vs ARM vs (future) IBM PPC even better

              So, said that, as it is great on Linux ...

              How many pre installed GNU/Linux or Chrome OS machines (over 100 with Intel SoCs) will we see with this APUs?
              The only ARM chip that would even be semi comparable in terms of raw performance would be the $3000 64-bit ARM Cortex-A57 based AMD Opteron A1100 server development board http://www.eweek.com/servers/amd-lau...loper-kit.html Which is a really nice looking piece of ARM hardware, better then anything else you'll find on the market, but it's not a mass production piece of equipment and at it's price, well outside of the price range of the X86 APU market.

              Intel chips with a comparable GPU to AMD's APUs are generally much more expensive and lack the ability to make use of HSA for better OpenCL acceleration like AMD and ARM SoCs can.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                It doesn't seem like Michael gets a whole lot of server hardware handouts. He would likely have to go out of his way to buy a case and motherboard if he were to get a free PPC CPU, and I don't think IBM cares enough.

                ARM typically isn't worth comparing, unless he does a cortex A15.
                IBM PPC hardware is also WAY outside the price range and outside of the general usage scenario of these APUs. You only see POWER kit in big servers and high end workstations and they are big power hungry beasts designed for very high throughput over maximum processing capability. I.E. the single core performance isn't that great, but it doesn't have to be as it capable of splitting the work up better with fewer bottlenecks then other kit.

                Comment


                • #9
                  no intel vs m

                  lol wh is this? no intel? ofc not if michael puts some intel cpu benchmark against this amd apu... intel cpu simply crush the apu

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    lol wh is this? no intel? ofc not if michael puts some intel cpu benchmark against this amd apu... intel cpu simply crush the apu
                    As said in the article, those results are still coming...
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                      lol wh is this? no intel? ofc not if michael puts some intel cpu benchmark against this amd apu... intel cpu simply crush the apu
                      Testing i7-3632QM at the moment. pts/hpcc-1.1.4 will gonna take few hours

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
                        Testing i7-3632QM at the moment. pts/hpcc-1.1.4 will gonna take few hours
                        That's not really a comparable part to the 7800.

                        I'm not entirely sure how much a i7-3632QM is supposed to cost, but i think it's about double the price of the 7800, so of course it should be expected to be faster.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          As it's part of an old Ivy Bridge laptop generation is not that much expensive. Laptops with those are already hard to get and are priced max at 2/3 of similar Haswell quad i7 based laptops. However GPU is HD 4000 so it will be interesting to see how this "old" Intel will compete with latest AMD APU.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            And here it is: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...KH-1408099KH43

                            (Unigine Heaven is invalid for intel GPU)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                              So the 7850K wasn't using the AMD suggested DDR3 2400...
                              Only up to 2133 is supported. You could have done a quick google search to find that out.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X