Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i7 4790K Should Be A Great Linux-Friendly CPU

Phoronix: Intel Core i7 4790K Should Be A Great Linux-Friendly CPU

Intel will begin shipping the Core i7 4790K "Devil's Canyon" processor this month and thanks to Computex now getting underway we're able to publicly talk about this high-performance chip...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

…which x86 CPU is not “Linux-friendly”? The news header doesn't make much sense.

This 4GHz processor has a new thermal interface (Next Generation Polymer Thermal Interface Material) and that paired with other advancements should make Devil's Canyon great for overclocking.
    Not so much: temperature isn't the main problem for overclocking. It gets unstable for other reasons (high voltage) before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      ?which x86 CPU is not ?Linux-friendly?? The news header doesn't make much sense.
      Sometimes when the integrated graphics are a bust, for those that don't recall the original AMD Phenom launch when kernel panics were frequent with the distros at the time, and some other occasions there have been difficulties.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Why no K-less version. This would have been the best for workstations (Whom need VT-d).

Comment

And let me guess Intel restricts mainboard manufacturers from making it work with a z87 chipset...
          Besides the good linux support there isn't much/anything to like about Intel at all

Comment

Originally posted by mmrezaie View Post
            Why no K-less version. This would have been the best for workstations (Whom need VT-d).
            K-less 4790 is already out. I just put one in a new ASUS Z97 motherboard. Mint 17/Ubuntu 14.4 work OK. Couldn't get network going on Fedora 20, but that was probably my fault and I haven't had a chance to get back to it and see what was really going on.

Comment

Not so much: temperature isn't the main problem for overclocking. It gets unstable for other reasons (high voltage) before that.
              It is a chicken and egg problem, but my 4770k gets unstable around 1.3v because of its heat tolerances. They also get unstable over 1.4 just due to the raw voltage if you can keep the temps down, but the exponential temperature rise becomes the issue first before the raw voltage on most chips.

In other news, I have my 4770k at 4.2 / 4.8ghz, so I'm pretty happy. I could probably get it up to 4.4 with real fine voltage tweaks but I like my stability.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                Not so much: temperature isn't the main problem for overclocking.
                Usually not, but the cheaper TIM that Intel switched to with Ivy Bridge did not transfer heat to the spreader as well...

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
                  And let me guess Intel restricts mainboard manufacturers from making it work with a z87 chipset...
                  And ... you would be completely wrong.

Originally posted by user82 View Post
                  Besides the good linux support there isn't much/anything to like about Intel at all
                  Yeah, I mean besides just that

Comment

Working...
                  X