Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying Out The Jetson TK1, NVIDIA's High-End Tegra K1 Board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trying Out The Jetson TK1, NVIDIA's High-End Tegra K1 Board

    Phoronix: Trying Out The Jetson TK1, NVIDIA's High-End Tegra K1 Board

    While it looks like most NVIDIA Jetson TK1 shipments were delayed (I've heard in Europe that they're not coming out as well until mid-May, matching what NewEgg and Micro-Center are now advertising), to much excitement I found out last night my Jetson TK1 ARM board shipped out and it's already arrived this morning. Here's my unboxing and first look at this new high-end ARM board featuring the Tegra K1 SoC that sports Kepler graphics.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20324

  • #2
    Anxious

    I ordered mine on 31MAR2014, no word on my order, really excited to use this and a SATA drive possibly as a primary desktop computer. The console is great news, as earlier devices (like the Tegra2 TrimSlice) couldn't manage a console, and this gives me a lot of hope. Also the fact that it is based on the just-released 14.04 is awesome. I love the cpuinfo too, VFPv3 and VFPv4 instead of the crappy VFPv3D16 (half the registers) the T2 had, along with NEON. Very exciting.

    I still wish they had just put a SO-DIMM socket for the RAM, and the active cooling would have been nice to know about ahead of time (saw the holes and the plug for the fan on NVidia's site, figured it was optional), but I'm really excited for this board.

    Comment


    • #3
      I pre ordered mine from New Egg. Then I noticed that release on preorder page changed to May 15. I switched order to Nvidia and it was shipped yesterday.

      Comment


      • #4
        I wonder if it would be hard to get Android running on it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Isn't the serial port increasing the voltage consumption of the board in general?

          Comment


          • #6
            nooo, not a small fan

            I just hate these small fans, they get damaged easily and make a lot of noise then. I remember having a wonderful Abit NF7 board that had one of these. It was impossible to find a replacement for that little fan.
            Luckily there are dedicated passive chipset coolers that should fit any holes, including these ones. I have a Zalman one that should do the trick but I'm still disappointed that for this price they couldn't use a passive heat sink.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
              I just hate these small fans, they get damaged easily and make a lot of noise then. I remember having a wonderful Abit NF7 board that had one of these. It was impossible to find a replacement for that little fan.
              Luckily there are dedicated passive chipset coolers that should fit any holes, including these ones. I have a Zalman one that should do the trick but I'm still disappointed that for this price they couldn't use a passive heat sink.
              Seriously, talk about CHEAP. For that I price I expect nothing less than a decent passive sink. I wouldn't buy the board just for that sorry ass decision to save a couple cents.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                Seriously, talk about CHEAP. For that I price I expect nothing less than a decent passive sink. I wouldn't buy the board just for that sorry ass decision to save a couple cents.
                If it's only a couple cents then why don't you just buy one for a couple cents and put it on?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  If it's only a couple cents then why don't you just buy one for a couple cents and put it on?
                  1) it's only a couple cents when they're buying maybe 100k of them. When you buy one, it turns into a couple percent of the original price, and then you have a useless fan left over... I gues you can sell it to someone who ruined theirs by using it.
                  2) finding one that fits isn't a problem for the OEM but can be a hairy one for you. Is it a one-size-fits-one like many laptop mobos? Good luck
                  3) voided warranty?
                  4) hassle

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    If it's only a couple cents then why don't you just buy one for a couple cents and put it on?
                    It's only a couple of cents FOR THEM, not for me. Also, you make it sound like swapping out their cooling solution with another, no matter how cheap, is like brushing your teeth. It's way worse of a hassle! Anyway, are you supporting their use of a crappy active cooler? Or are you trying tell me I shouldn't be complaining? Come on, be up front about your motives, because usually people don't criticize those making legitimate complaints.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rice_nine View Post
                      1) it's only a couple cents when they're buying maybe 100k of them. When you buy one, it turns into a couple percent of the original price, and then you have a useless fan left over... I gues you can sell it to someone who ruined theirs by using it.
                      2) finding one that fits isn't a problem for the OEM but can be a hairy one for you. Is it a one-size-fits-one like many laptop mobos? Good luck
                      3) voided warranty?
                      4) hassle
                      Thank you!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        How do you know what their bill of materials is?

                        Yes, I'm criticizing your complaining because passive cooling is not even in the top 300 list of priorities on a dev board.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          TBH, I'd buy one. Dislike for dinky fans aside, I'd like to play with a board like this and I don't care about warranties. I'm probably just sore from the other day-- had to sort of attempt to re-invigorate the buzzing southbridge fan on an A8N5X which seems to have a plastic axle... weird. How many cents to switch that up to stainless? Haha, way too late. I got the fanless GT630 last year and it is pretty cool in both ways.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by johnc View Post
                            How do you know what their bill of materials is?

                            Yes, I'm criticizing your complaining because passive cooling is not even in the top 300 list of priorities on a dev board.
                            Are you saying that nobody can make an educated guess about how much an adequate passive sink would've cost nvidia over their crappy fan solution? Only the bill of materials would've sufficed for you, huh?!

                            You make it sound like, just because it's a dev board, anything goes. It could have giant vacuum tubes hanging off it but that's ok, because it's a dev board. And on the Divine Dev's List of the Top 300 Priorities, modern cooling solutions lists only 348.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don't view a fan to be as onerous a sin as a vacuum tube, but we might just disagree there. If it spins at 15,000 RPMs then I might be less forgiving, but I'm assuming this is the same thing they had in their Shield product.

                              I don't think nvidia is looking to pull in some serious buck with this offering, so I don't get the criticism. It's not even designed to be a polished consumer product. They probably barely cover the total cost, if they do at all.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X