Trying Out The Jetson TK1, NVIDIA's High-End Tegra K1 Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rice_nine View Post
    1) it's only a couple cents when they're buying maybe 100k of them. When you buy one, it turns into a couple percent of the original price, and then you have a useless fan left over... I gues you can sell it to someone who ruined theirs by using it.
    2) finding one that fits isn't a problem for the OEM but can be a hairy one for you. Is it a one-size-fits-one like many laptop mobos? Good luck
    3) voided warranty?
    4) hassle
    Thank you!

Comment

How do you know what their bill of materials is?

Yes, I'm criticizing your complaining because passive cooling is not even in the top 300 list of priorities on a dev board.

Comment

TBH, I'd buy one. Dislike for dinky fans aside, I'd like to play with a board like this and I don't care about warranties. I'm probably just sore from the other day-- had to sort of attempt to re-invigorate the buzzing southbridge fan on an A8N5X which seems to have a plastic axle... weird. How many cents to switch that up to stainless? Haha, way too late. I got the fanless GT630 last year and it is pretty cool in both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          How do you know what their bill of materials is?

Yes, I'm criticizing your complaining because passive cooling is not even in the top 300 list of priorities on a dev board.
          Are you saying that nobody can make an educated guess about how much an adequate passive sink would've cost nvidia over their crappy fan solution? Only the bill of materials would've sufficed for you, huh?!

You make it sound like, just because it's a dev board, anything goes. It could have giant vacuum tubes hanging off it but that's ok, because it's a dev board. And on the Divine Dev's List of the Top 300 Priorities, modern cooling solutions lists only 348.

Comment

I don't view a fan to be as onerous a sin as a vacuum tube, but we might just disagree there. If it spins at 15,000 RPMs then I might be less forgiving, but I'm assuming this is the same thing they had in their Shield product.

I don't think nvidia is looking to pull in some serious buck with this offering, so I don't get the criticism. It's not even designed to be a polished consumer product. They probably barely cover the total cost, if they do at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
              I pre ordered mine from New Egg. Then I noticed that release on preorder page changed to May 15. I switched order to Nvidia and it was shipped yesterday.
              I ordered mine from NVidia on 25 March 2014. It shipped last night too. Now I wish I had sprung for overnight shipping instead of the slow-train from Texas!

Comment

Hey, I'd pay much more for a giant vacuum tube-- if it's a VFD.

Comment

Power consumption

Hmm... An ARM board with active cooling? Be sure to check the power consumption and temperature.

200 dollar is a lot of money comparatively speaking, I don't get the excitement. I can see why a reasonably priced and passively cooled 3W ARM board with acceptable performance is interesting, but this TK1 seems like it wants to compete with cheap AMD and Intel desktop processors and I doubt it will win that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    I don't think nvidia is looking to pull in some serious buck with this offering, so I don't get the criticism. It's not even designed to be a polished consumer product. They probably barely cover the total cost, if they do at all.
                    Are you kidding? I know I don't have the BoM or anything, but if they're charging close to $200 for this SoC, I'm sure they're easily covering total cost. I admit I could be wrong, but I can't really can't imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                      Are you kidding? I know I don't have the BoM or anything, but if they're charging close to $200 for this SoC, I'm sure they're easily covering total cost. I admit I could be wrong, but I can't really can't imagine.
                      It's $200 for the whole board, right? The SoC is probably cheap to them (the rumors were ~$35 for the older Tegra chips), but getting your own board spun up and manufactured especially for reasonably low production can't be cheap. I'm just referring to production here; imagine how much they had to pay all the engineers that had a hand in making it happen, both hardware and software.

Comment

Working...
                      X