Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Brings Back Semprons & Athlons With The 2014 AM1 Platform

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Brings Back Semprons & Athlons With The 2014 AM1 Platform

    Phoronix: AMD Brings Back Semprons & Athlons With The 2014 AM1 Platform

    After much information being made public in March concerning AMD's AM1 platform that delivers socketed APUs for low-cost desktop systems, the first of these new socketed APUs are shipping today under the restored Athlon and Sempron branding. We've been fortunate enough to have one of the new Athlon AM1 APUs at Phoronix for a few days of testing.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20134

  • #2
    The athlon branding are in fm2+ igpless processors too(not kaveri based though).

    Nonetheless might be good platform for htpc and casual living room gaming.

    Comment


    • #3
      Might be useful as a pfSense machine...

      Comment


      • #4
        Could Gigabyte please make a cheap Brix version with this.

        Comment


        • #5
          They must focus on developing new CPU architecture(s), not introduce CPUs which cannot compete with Intel's cheapest Celerons.

          AMD's IPC performance absolutely sucks - they cannot even beat original Intel Core 2 CPUs which were released eight freaking years ago.

          Comment


          • #6
            Need make a single-board computer

            They say less than $40 but when you add power supply and chassis its much more.
            Also its hard to come by small chassis and power supplies.

            I wish they made a single-board computer with case and power supply.
            Like Intel NUC.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by birdie View Post
              They must focus on developing new CPU architecture(s), not introduce CPUs which cannot compete with Intel's cheapest Celerons.

              AMD's IPC performance absolutely sucks - they cannot even beat original Intel Core 2 CPUs which were released eight freaking years ago.
              My family would rather have an affordable mini pc that is power efficient. If Intel can supply that with AMD prices go right ahead. I would buy one for my father, mother and for the linux testing pc. 500+ euro is too much for a small pc where performance is not really important. Why is a Nexus 7(which is fast enough) 250 euro and Brix 500+?

              Comment


              • #8
                What I don't get is why AMD is making the AM1 socket. FM2 already has Semprons and I think Athlons too. There's already a socket AM2 and AM3 so what is AMD going to do for the next generation?

                If AMD decides to release a Phenom series with 6-8 cores for this AM1 socket then I'm a little more open to it. But otherwise, if I'm going to go for a super cheap system, I'd rather get an A4 or A6.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
                  My family would rather have an affordable mini pc that is power efficient. If Intel can supply that with AMD prices go right ahead. I would buy one for my father, mother and for the linux testing pc. 500+ euro is too much for a small pc where performance is not really important.
                  500 € is what you need for a low-end PC, but with a SSD and nice case/PSU. If you can do without a SSD and a nice case/PSU, you could build one for about 300 €.

                  AMD isn't cheaper than Intel these days, especially if you take power usage and other stuff (single thread performance) into account.

                  Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
                  Why is a Nexus 7(which is fast enough) 250 euro and Brix 500+?
                  Nexus 7 is built in huge volumes, sold to lots of people, Brix targets a niche market. Also, the Brix is noisy and very hot.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    They must focus on developing new CPU architecture(s), not introduce CPUs which cannot compete with Intel's cheapest Celerons.
                    The competition here is the ATOM line in case you missed it. That and Intel terrible GPUS. As such Kabini does very well. I wouldn't expect these chips to drive a high performance laptop of desktop but they would deliver very good results for lesser uses. Further is AMD came out with an embedded version I could see strong demand.
                    AMD's IPC performance absolutely sucks - they cannot even beat original Intel Core 2 CPUs which were released eight freaking years ago.
                    This chip isn't designed to compete with that platform. Besides you underestimate just how important GPUs are these days in delivering systems that feel good to the user. You need to realize that AMD has had considerable success competing against ATOM. This doesn't mean they don't need to fix their high performance architectures just that I really think you mis how important this segment is to AMD.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      What I don't get is why AMD is making the AM1 socket. FM2 already has Semprons and I think Athlons too. There's already a socket AM2 and AM3 so what is AMD going to do for the next generation?
                      I would imagine to support more I/O. The more logic you embed on a SoC the more dedicated pins with distinct functions you need on the package. That is my guess anyways.
                      If AMD decides to release a Phenom series with 6-8 cores for this AM1 socket then I'm a little more open to it. But otherwise, if I'm going to go for a super cheap system, I'd rather get an A4 or A6.
                      It all depends upon what is important to you.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                        They say less than $40 but when you add power supply and chassis its much more.
                        Also its hard to come by small chassis and power supplies.

                        I wish they made a single-board computer with case and power supply.
                        Like Intel NUC.
                        I recently built a VESA mounted system with an i3 with this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129185

                        On sale its like $60, and can power almost any APU except the K series AMD parts.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                          I would imagine to support more I/O. The more logic you embed on a SoC the more dedicated pins with distinct functions you need on the package.
                          I think schmidtbag was complaining more about the naming of the socket than its existence. I have to concur. If you follow the pattern, then AM1 should have come before AM2 and used DDR memory. Usually, when the marketers try to confuse consumers, they do it to make their products look better. Coming out with an AM1 socket in 2014 is just retarded.

                          Once again, AMD needs to finish firing their entire marketing staff...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by birdie View Post
                            They must focus on developing new CPU architecture(s), not introduce CPUs which cannot compete with Intel's cheapest Celerons.

                            AMD's IPC performance absolutely sucks - they cannot even beat original Intel Core 2 CPUs which were released eight freaking years ago.
                            The biggest load of Bullshit I have read so far this week,

                            Intel fanbois are soooo insane.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              To me it looks like a socketed Kabini and that is awesome. I saw some mainboards a week or more ago and chips for it, for prices that were truly affordable. Looks very nice to me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X