Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeagleBone Black: The Sub-$50 ARM Linux Board

Phoronix: BeagleBone Black: The Sub-$50 ARM Linux Board

The BeagleBone Black has been one of the popular low-cost ARM development boards in recent months for budget-minded hobbyists due to its $45 price-tag, being Linux friendly, and support for powering off a USB cable. While it may be a cheap ARM development board, is its performance too dauntingly slow?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's also the ODROID-U3 community edition, which is pretty cheap.

I'm looking at a device to use as a low-power always-on home webserver thingy that I stick next to the router at home. The Utilite is a leading runner at the moment, but the U3 is also in the running (although with a 16GB eMMC it isn't as cheap). I just want a device that will be well supported by Linux now and in the future.

Comment

You should have compared it with the RPi...

Comment

Then there is the olimex lime. Costs about 30EUR, uses an Allwinner A10, which has a Mali, and an actual community behind it. It has hdmi, ethernet, SATA, and tons of other connections on the 0.5 pitch headers on the board it self.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
          Then there is the olimex lime. Costs about 30EUR, uses an Allwinner A10, which has a Mali, and an actual community behind it. It has hdmi, ethernet, SATA, and tons of other connections on the 0.5 pitch headers on the board it self.
          Oh, and it is full OSHW.

Comment

BBB

BBB tries maintain both prespectives like electronic kits(Arduino...) and embedded development (UDOO, inte baytrail kit, Raspberry Pi)

A10-OLinuXino-LIME is a nice alternative too.

Comment

Well, at least it's ARMv7. That ARMv6 on the Pi is getting pretty long in the tooth...

Comment

GPIO

The Beaglebone black has ~65 GPIO pins, which makes it very interesting. You can use it to control anything you want. There's an easy javascript library to control the pins from within the browser.

Speed is not the goal of this board.

Comment

This is a cheap ARMv7 embedded development board. I suppose I would have been disappointed too if I were going into it looking for a mini PC.

The reason you have so many single core boards despite them being slower, is that hard real-time multi-core scheduling is pretty tough and rarely useful. There are just not too many ways around the serial execution of: Take sensor input -> Filter -> Compute -> Output to storage \ display.

More so, An extra core that is hardly ever used is a power-drain for people that are interested in running off a battery.

Still, regardless of reasoning, it leads to the same conclusion: Buy a different board if you're looking into running something more Desktop'y.
                  Last edited by c117152; 17 February 2014, 08:41 AM. Reason: your->you're

Comment

Would be nice if Michael or someone made a table of the good and bad sides of all these ARM boards. There is one wikipedia page, but it's terribly lacking. People really should stop buying Raspberries. They're legacy crap.

Comment

Working...
                    X