Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR3-2400MHz On AMD's A10 Kaveri With Kingston's HyperX Beast

Phoronix: DDR3-2400MHz On AMD's A10 Kaveri With Kingston's HyperX Beast

Earlier in the week I published benchmarks showing AMD Kaveri's DDR3-800MHz through DDR3-2133MHz system memory performance. Those results showed this latest-generation AMD APU craving -- and being able to take advantage of -- high memory frequencies. Many were curious how DDR3-2400MHz would fair with Kaveri so here's some benchmarks as we test out Kingston's HyperX Beast 8GB DDR3-2400MHz memory kit.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Similar increases in performance are also seen in Windows and in all the other APUs. (for any of you APU gamers out there.)

Comment

Too bad higher freq. Ram is so expensive. If kaveri could go quad-channel, i'd buy one. Its performance is quite good with the right memory bandwidth

Comment

I'm quite contented with my Gigabyte 990FX -UD3 version 3.0 board, FX-8350, G.Skill 1866 running at 1866 using the included XMP profile options configurd in the version 3.x and newer boards.

Lots of folks frustrated the F3-1866C9D-16SR GSkill RAM wasn't getting beyond 1600 by fiddling with bios timings, when Gigabyte includes them in later motherboards. Glad I waited.

Comment

APUs are probably going to improve quite a bit for gaming when DDR4 rolls around.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
            Too bad higher freq. Ram is so expensive. If kaveri could go quad-channel, i'd buy one. Its performance is quite good with the right memory bandwidth
            In a lot of countries, the price is really reasonable. As in, 10-25% more.

Comment

Great article and tests done. This certainly has been of interest for people who has been eyeing Kaveri for some time. It appears there is little benefit in performance for 2400Mhz compared to 2133Mhz. This proves that AMD's memory controller is not as optimized as it should be and needed some more work. Or maybe, the timing of the 2400Mhz ram needs a lot more tweaking in the UEFI to ensure optimal performance for this particular chipset (A88X). I would stick to 2133Mhz RAM and maybe overclock that a little raising FSB gradually.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                That would mean cutting back on a pair of gpu cores which you would not want. Or cutting back ona pair of cpu cores which most people would really scream!. At 2.41B transistors, the die size is fully used for all the components in this system. It is a pity that 28HPM process does not allow the stock speed to be at 4.2Ghz turboed to 4.8Ghz. But if you look at OC Kaveri systems running at 4.6Ghz, the performance numbers were what people really expects from it. I say, anybody can get this performance and even tweak the gpu speeds closer to 1Ghz from the stock 720Mhz. I am sure 900Mhz is pretty much a given for OC capability of the 8 gpu cores. As a K class chip, it is built for OC users, so throw the most from your wanted RAM and Cooler. It is the fun bit.

Some BIOS has two profiles, I tend to use one for OC-Full and one for Unclocking leaving it as a server. It works pretty for each of the purposes.

Comment

Too bad you haven't done test with 2600 MHz. This RAM can be overclocked to little over that.

Can you do a test with overclocked iGPU next time, please?
                  Last edited by Slobodan; 24 January 2014, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Слободан View Post
                    Too bad you haven't done test with 2600 MHz. This RAM can be overclocked to little over that.

Can you do a test with overclocked iGPU next time, please?
                    I must admit that I'm a little curious about 2600 MHz as well. I don't think that the motherboard used in this test supports more than 2400 MHz. I did a bit of research on motherboards after reading the first test. ASRock makes motherboards that supports 2600 MHz, such as their ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+.

Comment

Working...
                    X