Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 13.10 32-bit vs. 64-bit Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    This article has nothing to do with Ubuntu. Phoronix has benched other distros and has reached the conclusion that using Fedora/Arch/Gentoo/whatever doesn't make a significant difference and isn't worth the inconvenience to bench on other distros. If you really feel the benches would come out much differently on your favorite distro, then by all means run the same ones, share your results on openbenchmarking, and link us. Throwing a temper tantrum accomplishes nothing...

    Originally posted by synaptix
    Just log out and never come back then.
    But then s/he wouldn't get attention then...

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by DanL View Post
      This article has nothing to do with Ubuntu. Phoronix has benched other distros and has reached the conclusion that using Fedora/Arch/Gentoo/whatever doesn't make a significant difference and isn't worth the inconvenience to bench on other distros. If you really feel the benches would come out much differently on your favorite distro, then by all means run the same ones, share your results on openbenchmarking, and link us. Throwing a temper tantrum accomplishes nothing...
      but times do change.... lets wait and see what happen's when Wayland releases on F20 do to most all of the new work being done to the kernel is for Wayland Systemd Etc

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
        Yes, but unlike Ubuntu proper, Mint isn't trying to "android" itself.

        Android is not a linux distribution. MacOS is not a BSD distribution. Ubuntu is headed in this direction.
        Id like to see Linus Torvalds face when he will read this post.

        Comment


        • #14
          hmm :/

          Sad that there are so many computational tests like encoding or micro-benchmarks like c-ray.

          Except for the games, there aren't *any* tests which perform typical workload like bootup-time, webbrowser-performance, ....

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
            Mandriva(or whatever it's calling itself these days)
            Mageia.


            Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
            Sad that there are so many computational tests like encoding or micro-benchmarks like c-ray.

            Except for the games, there aren't *any* tests which perform typical workload like bootup-time, webbrowser-performance, ....
            Encoding is quite relevant even for regular people. Though you're right that static webpage serving kind of isn't.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by synaptix View Post
              Would be nice to see some Linux Mint benchmarks, granted it's still based on Ubuntu it works a LOT better than Ubuntu most times.

              It's his website, he can do whatever the hell he wants so it doesn't bother me that he only benchmarks Ubuntu most of the time.
              No? There is literally zero performance difference between them, and Mint is less up-to-date on software since the releases are delayed compared to Ubuntu -- and this is even more the case for the Xfce edition.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                No? There is literally zero performance difference between them, and Mint is less up-to-date on software since the releases are delayed compared to Ubuntu -- and this is even more the case for the Xfce edition.
                Really, is that why I can get more FPS on games running Mint 15 and I get better system responsiveness and my shutdowns don't hang like it does on Ubuntu?

                Oh and is that why all my packages and software matches that of current up to date version on Ubuntu as well?

                Comment


                • #18
                  red-green graf is discriminatory against men

                  red-green graf is discriminatory against a minor quantity of men.
                  Why not red-blue for example?

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by ulenrich View Post
                    red-green graf is discriminatory against a minor quantity of men.
                    Why not red-blue for example?
                    I'm sorry, how is a red and green graph discriminatory?

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      i like green

                      anyway, it dosent matter what distro for most of these tests if not all of them
                      (3D stuff would maybe have more fps, but same %'s for comparison)

                      kernel dosent matter in most and libc is the same in all

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X