Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Works On Linux Power Savings For Future CPUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Works On Linux Power Savings For Future CPUs

    Phoronix: AMD Works On Linux Power Savings For Future CPUs

    New kernel patches by AMD for the Linux kernel provide "frequency sensitivity feedback" for the powersave bias in cpufreq. This hardware feedback feature is to be introduced on future AMD processors...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzNzU

  • #2
    I would greatly appreciate it if they were doing something for the current GPUs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      I would greatly appreciate it if they were doing something for the current GPUs.
      We are... I've mentioned that a couple of times here.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        We are... I've mentioned that a couple of times here.
        So far all we've only heard hollow promises, for years.

        I'm not saying you're not doing anything, but if it never reaches the users, it does not matter.
        Last edited by brent; 03-28-2013, 12:22 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          We are... I've mentioned that a couple of times here.
          We know Bridgman, we know the engineers and legal are trying to release the PM code. We're just annoyed at that lack of materializing documenation / code. It ain't your fault, you just get the shit since you're basically AMD's only reprensative here on the forums. The joys of being the messenger, right? :/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by brent View Post
            So far all we've only heard hollow promises, for years.
            ... that seems odd, since the first time I talked about starting to work on it was just over a year ago and I said it wouldn't be quick and that we didn't know at the time what (if anything) we would end up being able to release. What do you think we "promised" ?

            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            We know Bridgman, we know the engineers and legal are trying to release the PM code. We're just annoyed at that lack of materializing documenation / code. It ain't your fault, you just get the shit since you're basically AMD's only reprensative here on the forums. The joys of being the messenger, right? :/
            I guess, although to the best of my knowledge shooting messengers has *never* accomplished anything in the entire history of mankind and after the first couple of times it doesn't even make you feel any better
            Last edited by bridgman; 03-28-2013, 12:47 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I guess, although to the best of my knowledge shooting messengers has *never* accomplished anything in the entire history of mankind and after the first couple of times it doesn't even make you feel any better
              Kicking them into pits of death however, shows that you and your 300 personal bodyguards are badasses...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by archibald View Post
                Kicking them into pits of death however, shows that you and your 300 personal bodyguards are badasses...
                And how did that turn out for that guy? :P

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I guess, although to the best of my knowledge shooting messengers has *never* accomplished anything in the entire history of mankind and after the first couple of times it doesn't even make you feel any better
                  True you have to soften him up a bit first

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't mind having broken power savings on a desktop GPU or processor since...well..it's a desktop. It's always plugged into the mains.

                    What I cannot stand are broken power savings on mobile AMD hardware. So please prioritize those over your desktop hardware.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Serge View Post
                      And how did that turn out for that guy? :P
                      Well, we're still talking about him 2.5 thousand years later.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                        I don't mind having broken power savings on a desktop GPU or processor since...well..it's a desktop. It's always plugged into the mains.

                        What I cannot stand are broken power savings on mobile AMD hardware. So please prioritize those over your desktop hardware.
                        I don't think there's all that much difference there.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          @Bridgeman,

                          I've more sympathy for your work on the AMD Gallium driver - which has seen great improvements over the past ~5 years. Compare this then to the work on Catalyst (or should I say lack of work perhaps)... When I play STALKER : SOC (via Wine) on Gallium the FPS is very low - but there no rendering anomalies. Catalyst 13.1 struggles with some of the more advanced lighting effects in recent mods (as have all previous versions) - big jagged black lines coming down from the heavens, glitched shadows, etc.... Glitches that aren't present (naturally) when I use an Nvidia GPU...

                          (Sighes) Goes back to Windows 7 for gaming on my laptop with an AMD (Radeon 4650M) GPU... Sadly AMD don't appear to be able to produce a fully working Linux driver for this chip (either closed or open -source)...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                            ... that seems odd, since the first time I talked about starting to work on it was just over a year ago and I said it wouldn't be quick and that we didn't know at the time what (if anything) we would end up being able to release. What do you think we "promised" ?

                            I guess, although to the best of my knowledge shooting messengers has *never* accomplished anything in the entire history of mankind and after the first couple of times it doesn't even make you feel any better
                            The thing is AMD is losing customers. I for one will never buy an AMD GPU again. Enough is enough, you (AMD) are playing with us. You need to learn something from Intel and Nvidia, at least they are coherent with their policy. The former makes ONLY an opensource driver, while the latter makes ONLY one closed source driver. Your situation is somewhat schizophrenic, you give us a buggy binary driver or an incomplete open source one.

                            P.D: Note this has nothing to do with you personally bridgman, because I know you are doing the best you can.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by wargames View Post
                              The thing is AMD is losing customers. I for one will never buy an AMD GPU again. Enough is enough, you (AMD) are playing with us. You need to learn something from Intel and Nvidia, at least they are coherent with their policy. The former makes ONLY an opensource driver, while the latter makes ONLY one closed source driver. Your situation is somewhat schizophrenic, you give us a buggy binary driver or an incomplete open source one.

                              P.D: Note this has nothing to do with you personally bridgman, because I know you are doing the best you can.
                              The OSS driver is leaps and bounds better than the closed driver. If AMD begins to believe that the OSS driver is a failure, then they will drop it and support only the closed driver. Which will be baaaaaad for everyone. At least the OSS driver is stable. Stable meaning that crashes and incorrect rendering isnt a major problem.

                              I for one am thankful that the OSS driver exists and do not wish to see it go. (Though I do agree that the power management needs to come along soon. (At least documentation at the very minimum, even if no code is released) Too long is too long.)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X