Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Brought Back To Life On M68K-Based Amigas

Phoronix: Debian Brought Back To Life On M68K-Based Amigas

The port of Debian GNU/Linux for the Motorola 68000 processors has been revived, which now allows for a working Debian OS to run once again on computers like the Amiga 3000/4000 and Atari...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL, awesome! Useless, but awesome nonetheless.

Comment

Funny but - whats the point?
      What is the minimum requirement for a current debian desktop system? and shouldn't it be awfully slow? I mean really awfully slow?

It sounds to me like a fun project. Actually wasting of resources.

Of course if I misunderstand something please correct me.

Comment

Haha. Sadly my wife banished my A1200 to the attic but some time before that, I did get Gentoo running on it. I initially had some trouble getting my PCMCIA network adapter to work but some help from the m68k kernel maintainers got that going. It wasn't quite as slow as you might think but obviously I didn't compile anything on it. I did compile OpenSSH under AmigaOS itself once though, that was painful. I had considered Debian and NetBSD if I were to dig it out again but I'm much better at cross-compiling now so maybe Gentoo is still my weapon of choice.

Comment

@BO$$
          The problem with posts like yours..
          No management, no optimal allocation of resources, so you end up with useless posts like this one. Waste of fucking time dude. Get a life. Post something that people want.

Comment

m68k refers to the Motorola 68000 architecture.
            It refers to an architecture, not a processor.

Linux also supports the x86 architecture which is actually a year older than the m68k architecture.

Just because the m68k architecture was introduced in 1979 does not mean that's when the last processors were made. FreeScale Semiconductor still makes ColdFire processors based on the m68k architecture today.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              C'mon you can't honestly say that this project has any use. It's some guy with too much time on his hands. And in case you're curios I actually do something. Like right now on Christmas. I am writing code adding a new feature in my game. A requested feature. By clients. Cause that's how normal people roll. They do things other people request. And in case you're some hippie, no, doing things that other people want is not selling out, or being a slave or whatever.
              OK if it is a total waste of time and resources then why did the Debian team spend all that time to get the m68k arch reinstated on Debian? There are people out there with Amigas and Ataris that would LOVE to resurrect those old machines and they'd spend time tinkering with Linux on those systems, so don't rain on the parade

Comment

C'mon you can't honestly say that this project has any use. It's some guy with too much time on his hands. And in case you're curios I actually do something. Like right now on Christmas. I am writing code adding a new feature in my game. A requested feature. By clients. Cause that's how normal people roll. They do things other people request. And in case you're some hippie, no, doing things that other people want is not selling out, or being a slave or whatever.
                No.

You are surfing on internetz and wasting time arguing with people there.

You bad and naughty boy, get back to your so called work and get back on it now!

Comment

Does Debian working on m68k affect your life in any way?
                  If no, why the rants?

Comment

Well instead of doing something useless they could be doing something that affects a larger userbase. And don't tell me that everything is done so this is why they're doing niche things.
                    So you're free to work on your game instead of working on "something that affects a larger userbase", but these guys can't work on the m68k port of debian? How come?

Comment

Working...
                    X