Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CPU Scaling On DragonFlyBSD, Ubuntu, CentOS/RHEL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CPU Scaling On DragonFlyBSD, Ubuntu, CentOS/RHEL

    Phoronix: CPU Scaling On DragonFlyBSD, Ubuntu, CentOS/RHEL

    Yesterday I shared the latest round of BSD vs. Linux vs. Solaris performance benchmarks for a variety of workloads. In this article today are a couple extra results that happened during this recent performance testing on the Intel Core i7 3960X Extreme Edition...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI0OTQ

  • #2
    Oh look, Dumbuntu fails again.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
      Oh look, Dumbuntu fails again.
      Actually it's DragonflyBSD which seems to "fail" here.

      Comment


      • #4
        Depends. If you stick in your shiny little Linux world, it's Dumbuntu.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
          Actually it's DragonflyBSD which seems to "fail" here.
          DragonFly 3.2.1 actually scales better than Linux in those tests. It's the GraphicsMagick tests where DragonFly doesn't scale, but I tell you why. GraphicsMagick utilizes OpenMP, but the stock compiler in DragonFly didn't have OpenMP untill the current development version, 3.2 being the stable one, doesn't have it and thus the scalability curve is flat.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by joe_gunner View Post
            DragonFly 3.2.1 actually scales better than Linux in those tests. It's the GraphicsMagick tests where DragonFly doesn't scale, but I tell you why. GraphicsMagick utilizes OpenMP, but the stock compiler in DragonFly didn't have OpenMP untill the current development version, 3.2 being the stable one, doesn't have it and thus the scalability curve is flat.
            So bsd fanboys can't even read? DragonFly BSD didn't won a SINGLE test if you didn't notice.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
              Depends. If you stick in your shiny little Linux world, it's Dumbuntu.
              While even DF BSD was so much slower than Dumbuntu you can just imagine how such utter crap like your freeBeSoDumb performs. It's so slow it's not even funny. You should tell them to stop compromizing further.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                While even DF BSD was so much slower than Dumbuntu you can just imagine how such utter crap like your freeBeSoDumb performs. It's so slow it's not even funny. You should tell them to stop compromizing further.
                what do you expect. you can't make a good OS in a basement. the best things things projects have done is create tools like openssl and pf.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  So bsd fanboys can't even read? DragonFly BSD didn't won a SINGLE test if you didn't notice.
                  OpenMP support should fix that situation right up.

                  Secondly, scaling /= true performance. So it depends what you are looking for I guess.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    DragonFly BSD didn't won a SINGLE test if you didn't notice.
                    Winning Phoronix tests isn't important, it's important to be competitive (and it is), even if it doesn't win a single test. But in fact it did win - Timed PHP Compilation at 12 threads.
                    Last edited by joe_gunner; 12-12-2012, 03:47 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X