Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MIPS Architecture Does Virtualization, SIMD

Phoronix: New MIPS Architecture Does Virtualization, SIMD

MIPS Release 5 was announced today as a new MIPS processor architecture that encompasses MIPS32, MIPS64, and microMIPS instruction set architectures. MIPS "R5" brings in two years of work to deliver new processor features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI0NDU

This is odd. Is it me or does it sound like they're just now starting to catch-up with many of ARM's features? I would've thought many of those features would already exist on MIPS, considering MIPS has been used for supercomputers and whatnot.

Comment

Nice

Nice to see that MIPS is still being developed.

Too bad MIPS is a proprietary architecture and not open souce and royalty-free.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Nice to see that MIPS is still being developed.

Too bad MIPS is a proprietary architecture and not open souce and royalty-free.
        Don't think it matters much. Well at least until the point someone can make chips in his garage/basement. Free software became that big because the only investment you have to make is personal time. HW on the other hand requires quite a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Don't think it matters much. Well at least until the point someone can make chips in his garage/basement. Free software became that big because the only investment you have to make is personal time. HW on the other hand requires quite a lot of money.
          Even so, I still would prefer an free and open architecture.

I dream of a computer 100% free open source, not only the operating system, but everything. The motherboard, the CPU, the case, everything. CAD files, schemata, drawings, pinouts, charts, firmware, source code, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Even so, I still would prefer an free and open architecture.

I dream of a computer 100% free open source, not only the operating system, but everything. The motherboard, the CPU, the case, everything. CAD files, schemata, drawings, pinouts, charts, firmware, source code, everything.
            MIPS is open-source. You apy the fee and get the source. I see nothing wrong with commercial part. Good work in fair quantity has to be paid. If you want to see totally royalty-free core, take a look at opencores.org .

I just wish AMD took MIPS instead an ARM route...

Comment

It's good to see that MIPS places some emphasis on their 64 bit parts again.
              Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
              I just wish AMD took MIPS instead an ARM route...
              AMD did sell MIPS-based chips some time ago (Alchemy) but they exited that business.

MIPS is not a free/open source design, also parts of the instruction set are patent encumbered.
              An architecture with open source implementations is SPARC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARC#O...mplementations

Comment

Working...
              X