Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 12.10 KVM Virtualization Comparison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 12.10 KVM Virtualization Comparison

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 KVM Virtualization Comparison

    For kicking off a new week of Linux benchmarks, here are some results of a high-end Intel Extreme Edition workstation when comparing the bare metal host and KVM virtualization performance between Ubuntu 12.10 and the earlier Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS release and then the RHEL-based CentOS 6.3.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18042

  • #2
    Why Ubuntu is so slow in EVERY aspects
    It is like Windows Vista in the family of Microsoft.

    I really miss my RedHat and Fedora.
    I am using Ubuntu as my office also uses it and for Steam.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hey Michael, i dont give you shit for your articles, like ever, but did you check to see how this one rendered before you posted it? Firefox 16.0.1, all of the graphs are tiny. Not scaled down, but like its only showing the upper right hand corner and like 100pixels in any direction.

      Comment


      • #4
        WTF

        Wow, what a completely useless comparison: a consumer distribution against an enterprise distribution.

        If you want to compare Ubuntu against something, then compare it against the likes of Fedora, Gentoo and Debian.

        Another 'excellent' Ubuntu biased article, setup over way too many pages with the single goal of generating ad-dollars.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Hey Michael, i dont give you shit for your articles, like ever, but did you check to see how this one rendered before you posted it? Firefox 16.0.1, all of the graphs are tiny. Not scaled down, but like its only showing the upper right hand corner and like 100pixels in any direction.
          Wow, little bit of vitriol? I'm running Firefox 16.0.1 on Ubuntu 12.10 (x64), and everything looks correct.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
            Wow, what a completely useless comparison: a consumer distribution against an enterprise distribution.
            Ubuntu 12.04 LTS can be used as an enterprise distro.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by whitecat View Post
              Ubuntu 12.04 LTS can be used as an enterprise distro.
              Yeah, right. Just like Windows XP.

              Show me a company running their enterprise on Ubuntu...
              (and I'll show you a hundred running redhat, another hundred running centos and another hundred running suse)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Hey Michael, i dont give you shit for your articles, like ever, but did you check to see how this one rendered before you posted it? Firefox 16.0.1, all of the graphs are tiny. Not scaled down, but like its only showing the upper right hand corner and like 100pixels in any direction.
                You must be using AdBlock or some weird extension...
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  You must be using AdBlock or some weird extension...
                  You must wasting your time in write weird hacks to discriminate AdBlock users.

                  So in fact the source of the error is in your "mind"

                  In fact there are legitimate uses of AdBlock -Ultra-slow devices -mobile devices without flat-rate and so one.

                  But sure you prefer to discriminate people-

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    You must be using AdBlock or some weird extension...
                    Adblock and Ghostery are both installed, but Phoronix is whitelisted on both.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      Adblock and Ghostery are both installed, but Phoronix is whitelisted on both.
                      maybe michaels hacks against adblock don't care if its whitelisted it only reacts on installed adblock.

                      stupid anyway because there are people who need adblock.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
                        maybe michaels hacks against adblock don't care if its whitelisted it only reacts on installed adblock.

                        stupid anyway because there are people who need adblock.
                        I don't write any 'hacks' at all for AdBlock... You can go grep the hell out of the Phoronix Test Suite package if you so desire to find out. It just so happens that the way the graphs are served looks like ads to AdBlock and react weirdly. Though while I didn't intentionally go out of my way to do that, I also will not go out of my way to rework any graph serving code that just affects these AdBlock users.
                        Michael Larabel
                        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
                          You must wasting your time in write weird hacks to discriminate AdBlock users.

                          So in fact the source of the error is in your "mind"

                          In fact there are legitimate uses of AdBlock -Ultra-slow devices -mobile devices without flat-rate and so one.

                          But sure you prefer to discriminate people-
                          Such users considered about their slow device or flat-rate data should then subscribe to Phoronix Premium - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=phoronix_premium
                          Michael Larabel
                          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
                            Wow, what a completely useless comparison: a consumer distribution against an enterprise distribution.

                            If you want to compare Ubuntu against something, then compare it against the likes of Fedora, Gentoo and Debian.

                            Another 'excellent' Ubuntu biased article, setup over way too many pages with the single goal of generating ad-dollars.
                            Well, the first three tests could be dropped due to unconclusive results like the VM being faster than bare metal. This is a pure test about who makes more use of buffers?
                            In the other tests, I would say 50/50 with a slight advantage towards Ubuntu?

                            Probably 90% of Phoronix tests are run on Ubuntu if they are distrbution neutral? This makes sense, so we can see how driver development compares to earlier tests? They all use the same kernel and therefore the same drivers anyway?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Such users considered about their slow device or flat-rate data should then subscribe to Phoronix Premium - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=phoronix_premium
                              Really real poor people with slow devices and or no flat-rate can not subscribe to "Phoronix Premium"

                              Thinking about the poor and the weak is a social skill.

                              Do whatever you like but I assure you these people do not deserve your behaviour.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X