Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Kernel Support For The Loongson-3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Don't use gstreamer-based sw then. It's widely known not to be fast.

    Measure with mplayer or some other direct, ffmpeg-based app instead.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Don't use gstreamer-based sw then. It's widely known not to be fast.

      Measure with mplayer or some other direct, ffmpeg-based app instead.
      that does not help me very much, when nobody uses mplayer anymore kde and gnome dont use mplayerbased standard player. And yes even if I use mplayer its 70% vs 2% with a crap intel netbook or something that has va-api enabled drivers. And there is/was no minitube mplayer version or something similar. I wrote some kind of replacement, but is that the way to do write your own mediaplayer to have a bit better experience. gstreamer seems to be newer, the higher cpu-usage doesnt stop people using it, because they say in 5 years each pc is fast enough to easily decode a fullhd stream with the cpu part.

      but again even if amd would in 20 years or so programm in such a shaderbased decoder, I still would be interessted in such alternative hardware, because amds step in coreboot and so on are also very non-existent, yes there are a hand full of boards of desktop systems but thats not enough. its nearly imposible to build such a system if you have not 1000 euro extra. then you still have all the firmwares everywhere... its no freesoftware experience... if they do such stuff with this Loongson-systems I am very interessted.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        how good does x264 and webm work on such quad or manycore cpus as example the 4core is there some gpu acceleration or is the cpu better in doing that.

        I hate in on my zacate systems that 120% of the cpu is used (1core + 20% of the second core) for gstreamer based movie apps (totem / minitube...) so that browsing and other stuff really gets slow when I have a video on some other screen. I mean yes a i7 is much faster than this mips chips no question but if you want a powersaving machine, like a zacate I think it should be close or because of the 4 cores maybe the loongsons are even faster?

        Its at least impressive what they do with a crappy shit 100 year old 65nm process. would nice to see a 32core 22nm version of that, and that could be very cheep, and also still in <50Watts.


        GPUs are useless, they get maybe usefull drivers (I mean except basic drawing of the screen and a year2000 opengl 1.3 deskop acceleration speed...) when nobody use them anymore... if even than...

        hope cpus can become better, because gpus failed because the impossibility to write proper software for it...


        and yes even if amd would release finaly good opensource drivers, like as example intel does at least for some gpus (some do support hardware accelerated video encoding, so for the user this gpus are stronger and the intel cpus are stronger anyway)... they would not commit to openbios and such stuff... so I really love that stuff, and if it is fast enough fro me, minitube and browser and movies without having all cores involved do work with that and its somewhat power efficient I will switch to that. even if the x86 alternatives would be theoreticaly stronger in some wether-calculations or 3d games... with proprietary drivers.
        I think you need to wait for the 32nm loongson 3B refresh. because that cpu really need the 8mb L3 cache. They also upgrade from the hd3200 radeon to a hd4200 radeon chipset. means a much better gpu also for there notebooks.
        right now you need to be very hardcore to buy a notebook for 1000 with less performance than a 300-400 notebook from intel.
        With the 32nm 3B refresh you maybe also pay 1000 but you get hardware like a 500 notebook.

        but i hope they become completive in the future.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
          I think you need to wait for the 32nm loongson 3B refresh. because that cpu really need the 8mb L3 cache. They also upgrade from the hd3200 radeon to a hd4200 radeon chipset. means a much better gpu also for there notebooks.
          right now you need to be very hardcore to buy a notebook for 1000€ with less performance than a 300-400€ notebook from intel.
          With the 32nm 3B refresh you maybe also pay 1000€ but you get hardware like a 500€ notebook.

          but i hope they become completive in the future.
          I dont think there is a way to buy the longson 3 thing in europe, I did only find a shop that sells the older 2er one for 200 bucks or so... but if it would really cost 1000 bucks and its the normal classic 2,5 year guarantied death by design thing... I would not buy it... btw, I have problem that I like this thinkpoint thing... but who knows... maybe in 2-3 years the next or next-next book is something for me...

          but maybe I switch finaly to intel... if they get this gpu-accellerated video shit in low-cost chips then...
          Last edited by blackiwid; 10-06-2012, 04:48 PM.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Do any MIPS systems have OpenGL support?
            Obviously, you don't know the history of MIPS & OpenGL...

            OpenGL started life as GL, the graphics library used by SGI (Silicon Graphics).

            SGI was also the first major user of MIPS processors (starting late 1980s), the first to use MIPS64, and at some point they even bought the company behind the MIPS technology.

            So basically, you can say OpenGL was literally designed for MIPS, and most 3D/CGI work for Hollywood during the 1990s was probably done on MIPS-based computer systems (both OpenGL workstations and render servers).

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              I dont think there is a way to buy the longson 3 thing in europe, I did only find a shop that sells the older 2er one for 200 bucks or so... but if it would really cost 1000 bucks and its the normal classic 2,5 year guarantied death by design thing... I would not buy it...
              Currently estimated price without VAT in Europe (Belgium) seems to be "about 650", but unfortunately, no systems are available yet, because the Chinese manufacturer has a "material stock problem"...

              More info: http://lemote.kd85.com/

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                I dont think there is a way to buy the longson 3 thing in europe, I did only find a shop that sells the older 2er one for 200 bucks or so... but if it would really cost 1000 bucks and its the normal classic 2,5 year guarantied death by design thing... I would not buy it... btw, I have problem that I like this thinkpoint thing... but who knows... maybe in 2-3 years the next or next-next book is something for me...

                but maybe I switch finaly to intel... if they get this gpu-accellerated video shit in low-cost chips then...
                you are just wrong buy it here in Europe: http://www.tekmote.nl/Loongson-3A-Notebook

                Loongson 3A Notebook "can be shipped within 3 days" 840.00 "price excl. VAT, excl. delivery"

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
                  840.00 "price excl. VAT, excl. delivery"
                  So that's 1000 VAT included + delivery...

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by JanC View Post
                    Obviously, you don't know the history of MIPS & OpenGL...

                    OpenGL started life as GL, the graphics library used by SGI (Silicon Graphics).

                    SGI was also the first major user of MIPS processors (starting late 1980s), the first to use MIPS64, and at some point they even bought the company behind the MIPS technology.

                    So basically, you can say OpenGL was literally designed for MIPS, and most 3D/CGI work for Hollywood during the 1990s was probably done on MIPS-based computer systems (both OpenGL workstations and render servers).
                    I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything, I was legitimately wondering. So thanks for the history, I actually find that pretty interesting. I actually didn't even know opengl was that old.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      SGI already had full-blown hardware graphics acceleration in the '80s (the company was formed to make graphics hardware) so if OpenGL was designed for any specific hardware it's probably more correct to say that OpenGL was designed for the SGI graphics accelerators of the time than for MIPS CPUs.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 10-07-2012, 10:18 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Does MIPS compete against ARM, or are they competing against x86 or who?

                        How does MIPS compare against other architectures?
                        Is MIPS more open than any other architectures?

                        Why would I want a Loongson CPU instead of any other CPU?
                        Does it offer anything that others don't? Does it have any advantage?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                          Does MIPS compete against ARM, or are they competing against x86 or who?

                          How does MIPS compare against other architectures?
                          Is MIPS more open than any other architectures?

                          Why would I want a Loongson CPU instead of any other CPU?
                          Does it offer anything that others don't? Does it have any advantage?
                          I think it has been used in products ranging from portable devices to high performance stuff. As for openness i think the only architecture that is open is SPARC.

                          For performance advantages disadvantages etc more knowledgeable people will answer you.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            MIPS competes with ARM in tablets and ultraportables for example. A somewhat popular SoC is the Ingenic JZ4770 which is used in many low-end 7" Android tablets (The first Android 4.0 tablet, the Novo7 Basic, used that SoC).

                            How the Ingenic MIPS SoC compares to various ARM based ones in benchmarks is easily found with a Google search.

                            Regarding the openness of the MIPS architecture: The designs are of course copyright protected. The instruction set contains some instructions for unaligned memory access which are patent encumbered. Early Loongsoon CPUs (2E and before) contained workarounds for the patented instructions, but now STMicro has purchased a license from MIPS Technologies so the workarounds could be dropped.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                              SGI already had full-blown hardware graphics acceleration in the '80s (the company was formed to make graphics hardware) so if OpenGL was designed for any specific hardware it's probably more correct to say that OpenGL was designed for the SGI graphics accelerators of the time than for MIPS CPUs.
                              It's similar to how these laptops have a MIPS CPU and an AMD GPU, of course. But maybe I should have said that it was designed "for MIPS workstations" instead of "for MIPS". Also, I think that at least part of (Open)GL ran on the CPU, so some design decisions might actually be influenced by MIPS?

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                                As for openness i think the only architecture that is open is SPARC.
                                There is also OpenRISC, which is probably even more open than OpenSPARC...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X