Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD A10-5800K "Trinity" APU On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD A10-5800K "Trinity" APU On Linux

    Phoronix: AMD A10-5800K "Trinity" APU On Linux

    While some information with Windows-based results for AMD's latest-generation "Trinity" desktop APUs have surfaced in the past few days, this morning the full embargo concerning the latest AMD Trinity hardware expires so full details and results can now be shared. In this article are the initial Linux test results of the AMD A10-5800K Trinity APU using Ubuntu at Phoronix.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17933

  • #2
    You might want to add OC data to your initial test results. You could be the first on the web (AFAIK) to have Trinity OC results up, which is what most people are still waiting to see, and which would be relevent to windows people since OCing is OS independent.

    Some german site launched their all around performance review early yesterday but as far as I could tell they only had GPU OC results (~1060ish for a 5800k, ~1120ish for 5600k).

    Comment


    • #3



      Yet more awful AMD chips. No wonder they're quitting the desktop market.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        Yet more awful AMD chips. No wonder they're quitting the desktop market.
        I'll wait for compiler optimized phoronix benchmarks and not windows-only binary-only (intel compiler?) benchmarks.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm waiting for the performance of these APUs to pass my current setup, and then I'm switching over. Mostly for size and noise issues, and since I love small form factor cases.

          The CPU speed is largely irrelevant to me, and to a lot of people I think these days. IMO, for home desktops we've been at a "good enough" level for years now. A few cores and a few gigahertz will do it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            I'll wait for compiler optimized phoronix benchmarks and not windows-only binary-only (intel compiler?) benchmarks.
            A million times this. Who knows, those Cinebench binaries are probably running SSE4.2 and AVX on the Intel chips while sticking to SSE2 on the AMD chips

            Comment


            • #7
              That's not Trinity APU on Linux, that's 7660D on Linux.
              Exactly the pitfall AMD tried to lure some reviewers in when they allowed ahead of time sneak peeks.
              I'm still convinced that people that don't need to play games get enough GPU from intel and get a (much) more powerful to go along with that. Meanwhile, for serious gaming a dedicated GPU is still needed.

              Comment


              • #8
                but only the A10-5800K model was provided as a sample to Phoronix by Advanced Micro Devices.

                All of this initial AMD A10 Trinity testing was being done on an MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 motherboard that was provided by AMD.



                Two quotes I saw while skimping. What I would have rather seen or maybe ismply missed was 'Thank you AMD'.

                Comment


                • #9
                  JFC, Michael. No Doom3 test again?!?!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    Hahaha AMD has become the laughing stock of the cpu world. Why don't they just go bankrupt. They suck so much how come they are not dead yet? Who the fuck still buys AMD. I have seen people hiding the fact that they have AMD to avoid ridicule...
                    You have a lot to learn about trolling.

                    1/10

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Awesome early preview. Now I was wondering if the wonderful folks at Phoronix would be able to test the A10-5800k in a crossfire config using the latest Catalyst drivers? Would be really nice to see. Hint Hint.. PLEASE

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                        Hahaha AMD has become the laughing stock of the cpu world. Why don't they just go bankrupt. They suck so much how come they are not dead yet? Who the fuck still buys AMD. I have seen people hiding the fact that they have AMD to avoid ridicule...
                        If AMD will bankrupt, Intel Core i3 will cost at least $500.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Darkseider View Post
                          Awesome early preview. Now I was wondering if the wonderful folks at Phoronix would be able to test the A10-5800k in a crossfire config using the latest Catalyst drivers? Would be really nice to see. Hint Hint.. PLEASE
                          Why not crossfire on an Atom board? That would make as much sense as your own suggestion.
                          These are low-budget CPU, there's no use in trying to put it any other way.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                            Why not crossfire on an Atom board? That would make as much sense as your own suggestion.
                            These are low-budget CPU, there's no use in trying to put it any other way.
                            Agreed. Crossfire doesn't make tons of sense, but a PRIME setup might. Plug the monitor into the onboard graphics output, and use a dedicated card as a render slave whenever you need performance. When you don't need the performance, shut down the dedicated card completely.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                              I'm waiting for the performance of these APUs to pass my current setup, and then I'm switching over. Mostly for size and noise issues, and since I love small form factor cases.

                              The CPU speed is largely irrelevant to me, and to a lot of people I think these days. IMO, for home desktops we've been at a "good enough" level for years now. A few cores and a few gigahertz will do it.
                              Agreed! I want to see this in SFF. Will look delicious .

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X