Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming: AMD's New Trinity APUs On Linux

Phoronix: Upcoming: AMD's New Trinity APUs On Linux

This morning you may be seeing a number of performance previews on AMD's Trinity APUs for the desktop, while the full embargo covering these latest Fusion products has yet to expire. Phoronix tests of Trinity under Linux are forthcoming...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE5MzU

What about openbenchmarking data base? Are there any tests to read? (Well I thought that mentioning that service is part of tradition by now on Phoronix ;P )

Comment

maybe someone can clear this up for me: An APU is a mix-up between the GPU and the CPU, right? Is it still possible to use a 'real' graphiccard? And much more important: Are there going to be any new 'real' CPUs? (just talking about AMD)

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
        maybe someone can clear this up for me: An APU is a mix-up between the GPU and the CPU, right? Is it still possible to use a 'real' graphiccard? And much more important: Are there going to be any new 'real' CPUs? (just talking about AMD)
        Yes you can use discrete graphic card for fm2 socket motherboards. There are coming some athlons for that socket too where are disabled gpu but those are quite weak cpus anyway.

For am3+ socket piledriver should be released this year, but don't except _huge_ power improvement over bulldozer.

Comment

They might skip Piledriver and head straight to Steamroller, that's what the latest rumors are saying.

Keep up the good work Michael! I am very interested in this one!

Comment

Kind of fishy to me that they're only allowing gaming and power consumption benchmarks. No overclocking results until next week (after the processor has launched). We know the application performance is going to suck in comparison to anything Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
              [...]We know the application performance is going to suck in comparison to anything Intel.
              no it will not. Under Windoze it will be compared to the Intel CPU-graphic combo much better. At least in applications where OpenGL, DirectX or flash is used. Who needs a 15% performance plus in single-core CPU processing when the GPU processing is crap I might buy a AMD Trinity APU in the next year or so, when Linux support is hopefully a bit better and prices decrease.

Comment

I'd go with Intel

AMD got better integrated graphics than Intel.

Still I would go with Intel because the Linux graphics device drivers are better for Intel than for AMD.

Comment

Ah, very nice that AMD sent some here. Looking forward to the linux results.

Comment

Please make sure you use a 3.6 kernel, or if you use a stable kernel, make sure it has the latest stable series patches. They contain fixes for certain display configurations.

Comment

well to defend AMD a bit here, in windows is true Intel sb+ > AMD bd by a medium margin in most apps[i mean don't be ridiculous 1:15m vs 1:45m is not a huge difference] and bit more in games.

on the other hand on linux i got in the end[after some issues with amazon] an AMD FX 6100 with a nice ASUS mobo and i have to say is a beast if you take your time to tune it[for nerds at least], i can say my old phenom II is faster in ubuntu than my bulldozer but on gentoo after carefully enable every flag known to man[graphite, pgo,lto,avx,fma4,aes-ni,etc] in my gentoo install i can say is wicked fast and is almost always faster than my old phenom II 955 in ubuntu.

software that i found behave better in BD

1.) ffmpeg/mplayer <--- the load average went down drastically with my hunger games 60gb test movie and as always totally fluid, i would say my load is maybe 10% each core tops
                      2.) KDE/Qt <---- i still have issues with openvg/opengl renderers but everything is freaking instant with raster, i mean in kubuntu kde is fast but in my gentoo it takes longer to click than most things to open and with heavy apps like scribus/calligra the loading time was heavily reduced but ofc not instant like smaller things like gwenview or dolphin
                      3.) Mesa <--- well i noticed small changes in xonotic/regnum FPS especially in heavy populated area/etc. i suppose gcc is finding some low hanging fruits here and there that help to keep the gpu a bit more busy, in gallium i noticed 1 thing loop optimization fails 99% of the time[too many nested structs]
                      4.) opus <--- i converted my 20 GB of music[ogg/mp3] to opus and with the optimized version i reached 90x[doesnt give time] against -O2 65x <---notice i just looked the logs and find the bigger X nothing too elaborated

so if you give BD some love is a really good processor with a nice hidden potential to exploit and is cheap, sure intel could still be faster im not saying it isn't but the distance is not that far away this way.

ill post my flags later so maybe michael can use them

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
                        Kind of fishy to me that they're only allowing gaming and power consumption benchmarks. No overclocking results until next week (after the processor has launched). We know the application performance is going to suck in comparison to anything Intel.
                        I hate that term.

The vast majority of applications will have no discernible performance differences between any of the new CPUs, and most of them will probably greatly benefit from better I/O than adding the best Intel CPU you can get.

The Intel CPUs are better, no doubt about it, but it only comes into contention when an app that actually utilises the CPU such as photoshop, compression tools, video processing applications and of course gaming with a discrete GPU, assuming none of the above can be offloaded to the AMD GPU.

Nothing wrong buying Intel (I have one), but for your gran, the APU will probably be the best buy assuming its the cheapest system you can build.

Comment

Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
                          I hate that term.

The vast majority of applications will have no discernible performance differences between any of the new CPUs, and most of them will probably greatly benefit from better I/O than adding the best Intel CPU you can get.

The Intel CPUs are better, no doubt about it, but it only comes into contention when an app that actually utilises the CPU such as photoshop, compression tools, video processing applications and of course gaming with a discrete GPU, assuming none of the above can be offloaded to the AMD GPU.

Nothing wrong buying Intel (I have one), but for your gran, the APU will probably be the best buy assuming its the cheapest system you can build.
                          agreed and considering windows apps normally are poorly threaded/use Intel compilers and most lack SIMD optimizations let alone GPU offload, so is not exactly the best plataform to test this new concepts in cpu architectures

now is 110% true that Mr, joe doe won't notice the difference between a core2 and a 1000$ ivy bridge let alone trinity/ivy, but somehow seems "intel do it 0.00040055032 pico seconds faster OMG AMD sucks" is the new "it play crisis"

Comment

Bang for the Buck or the Watt

We're talking about APUs here. The point of them isn't overall best CPU performance. The point is 'bang for the buck' or perhaps 'bang for the watt.' These are the comparisons that will be relevant to APU performance. I'll expect them to compare pretty favorably with Intel's integrated solutions on that basis. Now if only AMD could make the fglrx drivers not tear when playing video. I always have to set the output in movie playing apps to OpenGL as a workaround for this. It's not a terrible workaround, but some apps don't have the ability to be set to OpenGL output for video playback.

Comment

Compiler flags and version

I would be very interested to hear what flags, and what compiler you are using.

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

ill post my flags later so maybe michael can use them

Comment

Working...
                              X