cputemp 1.0 Released For Linux Thermal Monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    lm_sensors read from I2C and other buses to communicate directly with the integrated circuit and stuff.
    cputemp mentioned in the article reads from ACPI.
    Right I get that much but what makes ACPI better for reading temperatures? I pretty much got the impression that ACPI was more revolved around keeping your computer power efficient and quiet. While temperatures take a big part in that, I don't see why power control couldn't just use I2C sensors.

Comment

If there wasn't a native way to read the temps, then you could use ACPI for it. But since there is a superior native interface...

Comment

Big WTF here...
        The program just uses the legacy interface for ACPI thermal zones. Newer kernels expose the TZ using the standard hwmon interface (i.e. /sys/class/hwmon) and readings are picked up automatically by libsensor along with the ones from native interfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by ifoo View Post
          I've done a C port of the tool. You can find it at https://github.com/ifoo/ccputemp.
          Now were talking!

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Right I get that much but what makes ACPI better for reading temperatures? I pretty much got the impression that ACPI was more revolved around keeping your computer power efficient and quiet. While temperatures take a big part in that, I don't see why power control couldn't just use I2C sensors.
            I don't know.
            I thought maybe that with I2C you have have a special driver for every sensors, and that with ACPI you can just call the ACPI and get it without having special drivers for every sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
              wow, now I can find it, it appeared from some minutes.
              but it didn't compile:

Installing cputemp:
              Copying program to /tmp/yaourt-tmp-fabio/aur-cputemp/pkg/usr/bin: Done.
              Checking if log exists: No
              ***Creating Log:
              Traceback (most recent call last):
              File "./Setup.py", line 77, in <module>
              open (logpath + "/cputemp.log", 'w' ).write("cputemp log \n\n")
              IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/log//cputemp.log'
              Chuck Norris may be able to install software system wide as a regular user, but you need to be root to do that.

Comment

Working...
              X